The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

All I've seen is AVA Movement's IG post saying that: 

"From TTSA second offering circular, we learn that, for 2019, the company anticipates new music and US tour by AVA (release dates tbd), as well as the release of Cathedrals of Glass Book 2, SM Non-fiction Series Book 2, and a Docuseries with a major TV network."

So I guess they are opening up round 2 of investments, and of course promising AVA related stuff so that there is a chance of *some* money being made...

22 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

All I've seen is AVA Movement's IG post saying that: 

"From TTSA second offering circular, we learn that, for 2019, the company anticipates new music and US tour by AVA (release dates tbd), as well as the release of Cathedrals of Glass Book 2, SM Non-fiction Series Book 2, and a Docuseries with a major TV network."

So I guess they are opening up round 2 of investments, and of course promising AVA related stuff so that there is a chance of *some* money being made...

That's what I was referring to

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, agree on this but I think that was more on her mind from the 2nd time (3rd time according to Mark & Travis) that Tom quit. The first time, Tom just focused on music only. So AVA was his main focus, no movies, comic franchises, book franchises, space academies and all that shit haha. And the first two AVA albums were pretty successful from a commercial stand point anyway. I know on the first one they were in the top 5 on the USA album charts.

I think had Tom always just focused on AVA music even without ever returning to blink, he would've been fine for the money side of the things. AVA went downhill commercially when blink returned and when Tom was saying all that stuff about AVA not being just a band. Like he turned that Love crap into some movie as well. People would've been fine hearing AVA without all that gimmick stuff about movies & all I think.

Yeah that's a good point. I'm not saying Ava was a failure out of the gate or anything, just, y'know, blink was making filthy money for a quick minute there.

6 hours ago, Kay said:

For some reason, not based on anything tangible, I doubt that. I always had the impression that they weren't - not sure if it's because Skye seems so down to earth / normal 'mum' type person, or because of the occasional times Mark will talk about her, she sounds quite honest? idk, I struggle to picture it. 

I've always wondered if Mark's sister is still in touch with Tom, considering they were close. 

Yeah I think the personalities might be too different. But still, they brought their families on tour during the reunion era so at a certain point you'd have to be cordial.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Yeah that's a good point. I'm not saying Ava was a failure out of the gate or anything, just, y'know, blink was making filthy money for a quick minute there.

Yeah I think the personalities might be too different. But still, they brought their families on tour during the reunion era so at a certain point you'd have to be cordial.

Yeah, definitely a shame what happened there. I think blink were on the way of reaching that stadium level sized band, the way Tom wanted AVA to become. Blink easily could've done that. They were always huge and headlined festivals and shit but they were never that on that Foo Fighters level. One more album in their primes could've reached that. When people think of rock music of each decade, you get the Who from the 70's then Queen from the 80's, then Nirvana from the 90's. Then Foo Fighters in the 2000s up to now are probably the only ones I can think of that are considered that kinda level. I honestly believe blink could've been that band. The 5th album proved they're more than just pop punk. The 6th album at their peak could've backed that up even more.

• Like 2

Time off for kids/family are nice excuses with merit, but ultimately it was about control and being sick of being told what to do IMO. Cheshire through EOTS, you're hungry, you NEED this job and it's your dream... TOYPAJ you're trying to follow up your best work and stay on top, but the annoyance of label pressure/celeb status wears in. Finally you try to reset on Untitled and make it all about the art...but the pressure and label pressure is still there. And at that point, you don't NEED it anymore, and you certainly don't want people telling you what to do with your life and planning 7-8 months of it in advance based out of a tour bus. Tom beats to his own drum, and Blink became a machine. Throw in some hissy fits with band members who you have spent far too much time with in close quarters by that point, it was a recipe for disaster. It happens to many bands.

Chillin at home experimenting musically with absolutely no boundaries and no need to worry about money does seem pretty nice... Tom's wild, but as Trav recently said...you gotta give it to him. Dude drops out of a highly successful band to do whatever he wants (twice), and doesn't care what you think about it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, M!ke said:

To the point about Jen still being Tom's wife, I don't think any of us believed that a divorce had been finalized yet, but it's very clear that they've had some sort of separation. 

I agree. I just tried to finish on a positive note on an otherwise somber post. This wording was also meant to encourage debate, which is exactly what happened in the comment section. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Italian Throwaway said:

Here's the original source of the To The Stars new offering circular:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1710274/000114420419006365/tv509356_partiiandiii.htm?fbclid=IwAR0XJnp8kU8kZUFuy3z25ozJ1-ev-uFyk6HjovyD_0jR4Bf8TAHLouxwqBs

And some shameless self-promotion a summary:

How do you go another 3mil in debt in what, 3 months? does it seriously cost 1mil a month to run a converted garage with a handful of employees? I know rent in California aint cheap but damn... 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

How do you go another 3mil in debt in what, 3 months? does it seriously cost 1mil a month to run a converted garage with a handful of employees? I know rent in California aint cheap but damn... 

So is this proof the new Ava album is to try and help generate profits or would the record be separate from TTS and go in the band's pockets?

41 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

So is this proof the new Ava album is to try and help generate profits or would the record be separate from TTS and go in the band's pockets?

It's clearly to generate cash for TTS, the question is how much of the profits go to TTS and how much go to the 'band' as a separate entity. 

• Like 1

I don't care why they're recording and touring, I care about that they're recording and touring. It's great seeing David in the studio again, I hope Matt will be involved as well. And if Tom's thinking of this as the product that will/could save TTS, he should put some real effort into it and give the fans what they want, come to think of it, that's probably why the band is back and it's not the Delonge/Rubin show. 

39 minutes ago, Kay said:

It's clearly to generate cash for TTS, the question is how much of the profits go to TTS and how much go to the 'band' as a separate entity. 

This question could also be applied to any band with a record label so i don't really care as long as the music's fine

• Like 1