The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I have never gotten the vibe that Ilan cared about AVA at all though, he is very much a musician/co-writer for hire IMHO. Yeah he's technically "in the band", obviously on paper that is different than going to Selena Gomez producers, but him and his brother are essentially filling that exact role. They push Tom where he is uncomfortable, throw around ideas, and try to bring out the best. Otherwise, Tom has even said, everything was getting too repetitive. (Which is essentially what Mark just said his reasoning was for getting other co-writers involved on Blink so he doesn't "write the same thing over and over".)

That being said, nothing wrong with it IMO as I've enjoyed TDW and recent EPs from Tom with their involvement, and have no problem with Blink getting similar "help". 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

How dare Tom write a decent album with a bandmember. How tragic.

Quite the liberal use of "bandmember"

some dude who writes songs for Tom with the agreement that his brother gets producing credits

Ilan should be compared to Skiba, not Feldman, considering Ilan is part of the band unlike Feldman. He is doing what Skiba should've been doing for blink. He brought over his electronic rock influences whereas Skiba brought nothing at all to blink. Both Tom & Ilan were taking charge. First time AVA has felt like an actual band IMO despite the fact only 2 people worked on it. As for his brother, he's just to Tom what Chris Holmes was for Mark pretty much.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Ilan should be compared to Skiba, not Feldman, considering Ilan is part of the band unlike Feldman. He is doing what Skiba should've been doing for blink. He brought over his electronic rock influences whereas Skiba brought nothing at all to blink. Both Tom & Ilan were taking charge. First time AVA has felt like an actual band IMO despite the fact only 2 people worked on it. As for his brother, he's just to Tom what Chris Holmes was for Mark pretty much.

Do you mean in regards to actual collaboration and not just doing whatever Tom wants? Because they totally felt like a real band from WDNTW through LOVE IMO, albeit with Tom having 99% of the creative control. They haven't even toured properly with anything Ilan was directly involved in. 

Aaron played bass on AVA releases from a "producers" role, a line I don't believe even Feldy would cross. 

AVA to me is: Tom's playground, he pays Ilan to occasionally come in and be way smarter/technical about the instrumentation/song ideas, and the afro Rubin hangs around eating burritos with Tom waiting to press record. 

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Do you mean in regards to actual collaboration and not just doing whatever Tom wants? Because they totally felt like a real band from WDNTW through LOVE IMO, albeit with Tom having 99% of the creative control. They haven't even toured properly with anything Ilan was directly involved in. 

Aaron played bass on AVA releases from a "producers" role, a line I don't believe even Feldy would cross. 

AVA to me is: Tom's playground, he pays Ilan to occasionally come in and be way smarter/technical about the instrumentation/song ideas, and the afro Rubin hangs around eating burritos with Tom waiting to press record. 

Yeah man, just on actual collaboration. Just felt like a Tom solo project featuring a backing band to me. I think Tom is better when someone is bringing him down to earth a bit more. For BCR, he had Jerry Finn there and it also helped having Travis. I don't think BCR would be nearly as good without Travis even though he was hired just for the drums only.

I do think on the first two AVA albums that Tom was at his songwriting peak but his ego was just way out of control back then. He needed Mark & Travis to pull it off more IMO. So I think it's good that he had someone in the band that pushed him a bit similar to what Mark would have. Still, anything Tom comes up with is gonna be way way better if it's involving Mark & Travis.

As for the bass, I don't think AVA have had a bass player since Matt. I do remember they brought someone in to replace him who just disappeared after like a month of being in the band, so I wouldn't count that guy being an actual member. I swear I remember Ilan playing bass when watching a clip of them recording Mercenaries but hard to tell when his damn afro covers his whole face, so it could've been Aaron. 

Has this been posted? Really made Toms reality seem more human and understandable when he sat down for a real interview. Gotta imagine he's taking about his current situation with Jenn and his family. Never seen him that close to breaking down before, he's a pretty hidden dude in that department. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

Has this been posted? Really made Toms reality seem more human and understandable when he sat down for a real interview. Gotta imagine he's taking about his current situation with Jenn and his family. Never seen him that close to breaking down before, he's a pretty hidden dude in that department. 

Yeah Tom is awesome, just a complete free spirit that doesn't listen to anyone else, it was cool to hear him talk about blink forreal this time whether it was revisionist history or not because AvA didn't get as big.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 7:54 PM, NJansaid said:

Wolfpack was a great song

The rest pretty boring.  I can't see how anyone can listen to it unless they're high as a kite.

Damn.....weed has actually been the 1 thing i can't seem to get away from

But The Dreamwalker is pretty nice when you're stoned. The second half of the album is just nice

Its a better album than anything Mark has put out since WYHSB

18 hours ago, Mau5 said:

I still think he's a fruitloop, and I don't know why we needed 2 minutes of Tom riding a bike shoved on the end of a video about the company, seemed really weirdly put together as videos go.

3 hours ago, Kay said:

I still think he's a fruitloop, and I don't know why we needed 2 minutes of Tom riding a bike shoved on the end of a video about the company, seemed really weirdly put together as videos go.

The guy who made the video is a massive Angel's fan so I'm guessing he did whatever Tom asked and thought was cool, and Tom seems to love bikes so lets video the bike for half the video...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Lighten up, its just Tom being Tom ... bitch. You damn bitch! 

• Wow 1

7 hours ago, Kay said:

Says the Skiba apologist who'm spent the entire half of the HISALP video riding a bike around California.

1 hour ago, knapton said:

Its also a video done by a motorcycle site that produces motorcycle media. 

Thank you.  Was about to say this.