The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

On 4/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, Feeling_This_1 said:

Personally I like the first 2 Ava albums better than +44's. If you combine all of Tom's best songs after 03, I don't think it's even close. Lots of fans prefer Mark though, so I get why they love +44. 

Tom really shined on the 03 album. He has proven that he is the better musician for a long time. 

That doesnt sound like an opinion. He hasn't "proven" anything. He has had greater output in numbers and in like 5 albums and 3 EP's you can frankenstein maybe 1.5 decent albums out of it (however thats my opinion)

19 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Oh, here does this help:

ONPVWhmsb9OiPWaaqG83XII2GRYNHJ00WFajkrsw

No, Jan, that doesn't work either. 

Words have meaning ... by throwing out "edgy" everytime you can't think of an appropriate comeback it ceases to retain that meaning and becomes useless ... you know, like how everyone in your life views you ... useless.

On 4/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, Kay said:

Yeah I'm not surprised. Most people love Cliff Diving. I've always thought it was really boring.

for me the chords + the rhythm sections + the melodies + the lyrics referencing living in ridgecrest CA just hit the trifecta sweet spot for me.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

for me the chords + the rhythm sections + the melodies + the lyrics referencing living in ridgecrest CA just hit the trifecta sweet spot for me.

A song about his youth. +44 did it right unlike blink with California.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/8/2019 at 5:26 AM, Kay said:

Even as a fan of later AVA I don't think you can string together any 13 tracks from their whole discography and have it line up in quality to the +44 record, I don't even like songs like Cliff Diving or Weatherman and I still think it consistently dunks AVA's head in the toilet. 

even as a fan of early AND later AVA I still don't think you can. WYHSB blows AVA out of the water imo, and I love AVA.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

even as a fan of early AND later AVA I still don't think you can. WYHSB blows AVA out of the water imo, and I love AVA.

Eh I can say I've listened to Dream Walker way more than WYHSB these days. I think +44's album is a masterpiece but I really don't listen to it all that much.

20 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Hmm, I dunno.  I put together a solid AaA playlist couple years ago that I listen to regularly that if it were a single album, I'd have loved it and listened to the shit out of it.  Trying to imagine this album coming out in 2006 is tough, but if it had come out, I think it definitely would have given WYHSB a run for it's money.

This is that playlist by the way, literally have it saved as "A Good Angels and Airwaves Album":
1. Call To Arms
2. Epic Holiday
3. It Hurts
4. Sirens
5. Chasing Shadows
6. The Wolfpack
7. The Adventure
8. Saturday Love
9. A Little's Enough
10. Rite of Spring
11. Start the Machine
12. Do It for Me Now (Acoustic)
13. Anomaly
14. Heaven

Individually there definitely isn't a single Angels and Airwaves album that is as thoroughly as good as WYHSB is from start to end.  But I would argue that picking from the best the band had to offer you could make an album that arguably can measure up to that album. 

49 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Hmm, I dunno.  I put together a solid AaA playlist couple years ago that I listen to regularly that if it were a single album, I'd have loved it and listened to the shit out of it.  Trying to imagine this album coming out in 2006 is tough, but if it had come out, I think it definitely would have given WYHSB a run for it's money.

This is that playlist by the way, literally have it saved as "A Good Angels and Airwaves Album":
1. Call To Arms
2. Epic Holiday
3. It Hurts
4. Sirens
5. Chasing Shadows
6. The Wolfpack
7. The Adventure
8. Saturday Love
9. A Little's Enough
10. Rite of Spring
11. Start the Machine
13. Anomaly
14. Heaven

Individually there definitely isn't a single Angels and Airwaves album that is as thoroughly as good as WYHSB is from start to end.  But I would argue that picking from the best the band had to offer you could make an album that arguably can measure up to that album. 

AVA definitely have enough good songs for an album but the problem I feel on majority of their best songs, the songs are still way way too long. I feel +44 is consistent from start to finish. Not one song has a part where I hate it or find it too repetitive. The Adventure is so damn good and arguably the best thing Tom has done until up to the 2nd chorus. After that 2nd chorus, it just gets so repetitive and doesn't go anywhere for me. I feel the same about Valkyrie Missile and Do It For Me Now.

Start the Machine is the only one I feel that is perfect on everything. Lyrics, structure and length. Oh and Sirens is a pretty fucking good song throughout too. If songs like Valkyrie Missile, Do It For Me Now, The Adventure and The War were 3-4 minutes long, rather than 5-6, then I'd call them as good as +44. With the Dream Walker songs, they started to become 3-4 minutes long and I enjoyed them more for it. Mercenaries is so damn good except for the lyrics, but cause they're not cringe lyrics like California blink, I can deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, there are 5-6 minute songs that I love, hell even I've written and recorded a 5-6 minute song. Blink's ILWY is perfect for me. 30 Seconds to Mars have done great long songs. Green Day have pulled it off, although I couldn't use them as examples, cause their long ass songs sound more like medleys than actual full songs. But for AVA, I don't think it worked as well. As they recorded more albums, I think they improved on some aspects but regressed on others. Consistency is a huge problem for them whereas I feel +44 was just so damn perfect on every song. I like to think of WYHSB as the ending of the perfect blink trilogy. Started off with BCR, then the smiley face album but finishes with WYHSB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

1. Call To Arms
2. Epic Holiday
3. It Hurts
4. Sirens
5. Chasing Shadows
6. The Wolfpack
7. The Adventure
8. Saturday Love
9. A Little's Enough
10. Rite of Spring
11. Start the Machine
13. Anomaly
14. Heaven

Oh I think AVA has a lot of great songs that could have made up a really good album, but I'll admit I'm a bit biased here, WYHSB is my second favorite album in the entire blink-related discography, only behind blink's untitled album. I'm still a big AVA fan, but I love WYHSB so much, I don't think any combination of AVA songs could top it for me. Though it could still make for a damn good album.

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Mercenaries is so damn good except for the lyrics, but cause they're not cringe lyrics like California blink, I can deal with it.

I was about to type - "I actually think Mercenaries has some of the better lyrics on that record" but realised I was just remembering snippets, so I looked it up.

nevermind. the lyrics are as bad as all the others haha 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kay said:

I was about to type - "I actually think Mercenaries has some of the better lyrics on that record" but realised I was just remembering snippets, so I looked it up.

nevermind. the lyrics are as bad as all the others haha 

Haha, it's no "I think i like today, i think it's good" or "the ice is really cold". Don't think the lyrics are cringe on Mercenaries or anything, but they're very below average. But it gets away with it cause of how the song is. The song sounds so much like blink yet sounds like a complete clusterfuck but in a good way. It has the long intro and I like how it builds into the verses rather than a riff, it has Tom kinda shouting/singing which is always good IMO. The guitars sound trashy but raw as hell. Just kinda like normal punk rock guitars. It's just a rock song that actually goes somewhere. No bullshit pretentious stuff. It's unpredictable in song structure. It sounds like what blink should've been. One of my favourite songs because of all the aspects I've mentioned. Surprised it's an AVA track because of it. Sounds more blink than AVA.

9 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Haha, it's no "I think i like today, i think it's good" or "the ice is really cold". Don't think the lyrics are cringe on Mercenaries or anything, but they're very below average. But it gets away with it cause of how the song is. The song sounds so much like blink yet sounds like a complete clusterfuck but in a good way. It has the long intro and I like how it builds into the verses rather than a riff, it has Tom kinda shouting/singing which is always good IMO. The guitars sound trashy but raw as hell. Just kinda like normal punk rock guitars. It's just a rock song that actually goes somewhere. No bullshit pretentious stuff. It's unpredictable in song structure. It sounds like what blink should've been. One of my favourite songs because of all the aspects I've mentioned. Surprised it's an AVA track because of it. Sounds more blink than AVA.

It definitely sounds more blink than AVA, I've always liked the song because yeah, it's a mess but in a good way. I think if you're not paying attention the lyrics aren't too bad, like the chorus, and I like parts of lines but when you look at it as a whole it's just a confusing meaningless durge, like most of his lyrics of the last decade or more. It's why I've always struggled with AVA, Tom acts like it's full of meaning and purpose but they barely make any sense thematically or even grammatically a lot of the time. He isn't intelligent enough to pull off poignancy in lyrics, if it isn't jokey or just down to earth and human expression he just falls flat imo. 

• Like 2

AVA definately has some great songs, especially since Ilan came around. My favourites i can think of right now before the Rubins came along:

Sirens

Lifeline

Heaven

The flight of apollo

Young London

Anxiety

The Revelator

All of the dream walker is pretty decent and i love the ambience of that record.

View from below is probably one of my favorite things tom has ever been a part of.

WYHSB is a great record, whenever i listen to it i think it's great. but i always foget it exists. It's very good at what it is. a very Basic rock album. Lyrics are superb though

20 minutes ago, Neal said:

View from below is probably one of my favorite things tom has ever been a part of.

THAAANK YOU! So many people were down on Of Nightmares and I think it might be my favourite release of AVA overall. I love all 4 of them, even Into The Night which I hated initially has grown on me loads. it's such a great collection of songs, but View From Below is my favourite one, probably in my top 5 AVA songs overall. 

• Love 1

you want some cringe Tom lyrics:

Every tear is so alone 
Like God himself is coming home to say 

I, I can do anything 
If you want me here 
And I can fix any thing 
If you let me near 
Where are those secrets now
That you're too scared to tell 
I'd whisper them all aloud 
So you can hear yourself 

It feels like Tom was attempting to channel God's comfort, then he suddenly gets all anxious to hear some ridiculous conspiracy theory's "truths" with his new powers. Like, they will have to tell him the secrets of the missing alien warehouse now! 

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

you want some cringe Tom lyrics:

Every tear is so alone 
Like God himself is coming home to say 

I, I can do anything 
If you want me here 
And I can fix any thing 
If you let me near 
Where are those secrets now
That you're too scared to tell 
I'd whisper them all aloud 
So you can hear yourself 

It feels like Tom was attempting to channel God's comfort, then he suddenly gets all anxious to hear some ridiculous conspiracy theory's "truths" with his new powers. Like, they will have to tell him the secrets of the missing alien warehouse now! 

This is A Little's Enough isn't it? I always thought this was quite possibly the worst AVA song of all time. It's full of cringe lyrics and awful vocals. It genuinely reminded me of Simple Plan when I first heard it, vocally. I still think "Your smile is gone, I noticed it bad" is one of the stupidest fucking lyrics ever written. 

• Like 1