Clar-ke has herpes

The Tom Delonge Meltdown Watch Thread (Meltdown Inactive)

18 hours ago, NJansaid said:

First Date has one of the funniest videos of all time attached to it.  It gets a pass.

Sum 41 is b-grade pop punk garbage that you listen to in 6th grade to feel edgy about not doing the dishes on time.  It's a step below First Date & ATST because it tries to be edgy on top of being cheesy/polished pop punk.

What you're describing isn't Sum 41, but rather hardcore/emo bands like Atreyu instead.  Sum 41 is a pop-punk band that has a lead guitarist with a metal background that inspired a lot of the riffs (Hell Song is a good example). They did go heavier with each subsequent release, but it worked on an album like DTLI. It's funny that you use music videos to justify liking stuff; Sum 41 had some good ones like In Too Deep and Fat Lip. Your opinion sounds like it's been tainted with your hate for edgelords and overusing the term to justify your opinion. 

• Like 3

This Sum 41 hate is lame. i don't think they've had a good album since Chuck but at least they aren't hiring pop song writers to make albums for them. Also, their tours sell insanely well and they still manage to rake in plenty of new/younger fans. Not to mention their live performance rules. They've got a good thing going for them. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Sum 41 did change a lot to be honest.

Accurate statement.  They went from shit, to shittier.

Chuck is completely different to their previous material. Underclass Hero was them trying to sound like blink's Take Off Your Pants & Jacket album and it didn't work IMO. Screaming Bloody Murder is also different from everything they've ever done. Their recent album is different too but still kinda generic. Like Green Day after they did American Idiot & 21st Century, Sum 41 cashed in on that Chuck/Screaming Bloody Murder vibe kind of. Their recent album is samey throughout. Nearly all the songs from it sound the same to me. But they're definitely one of the more progressive pop punk bands. They matured and started writing music to suit their age. Like blink did until California.

Just relistened.

Here's my review:

Shit

I can understand the Offspring being boring though. They're actually a superb band. But man they need to stop writing the same fucking album. I swear I've been hearing Americana over and over again every time they release a new album.

This we can agree on.  Maybe I'm being too hard on Sum 41.  They aren't the greatest pop-punk, but they're not the worst.  They are in that B tier right below Blink and Green Day and above the All Time Lows.  I still think all of them are hanging onto an era that is dead and gone, and I'm not saying they should just give up like that but I really could give zero shits if I saw Sum 41 was releasing music still because you already know what it's going to sound like.  They never push the boundaries like say Untitled did.

I've never been much of a pop punk fan to be fair, that's why I loved Blink, they were so much different than the rest and really their own style.  All the other bands got pretty forgettable outside of maybe Green Day

2 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

What you're describing isn't Sum 41, but rather hardcore/emo bands like Atreyu instead.  Sum 41 is a pop-punk band that has a lead guitarist with a metal background that inspired a lot of the riffs (Hell Song is a good example). They did go heavier with each subsequent release, but it worked on an album like DTLI.

Why is everyone getting so riled up and trying to convince me to like a certain band or not..

ab627a9719497f8f50d30ae52dee1b5de2c6da41

It's funny that you use music videos to justify liking stuff

I do not like First Date. 

; Sum 41 had some good ones like In Too Deep and Fat Lip. Your opinion sounds like it's been tainted with your hate for edgelords and overusing the term to justify your opinion. 

I see nothing wrong with this.  But, this was quite the edgy defense for the edgelord of pop punk bands.

5 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Why is everyone getting so riled up and trying to convince me to like a certain band or not..

ab627a9719497f8f50d30ae52dee1b5de2c6da41

I do not like First Date. 

I see nothing wrong with this.  But, this was quite the edgy defense for the edgelord of pop punk bands.

The fact that you’re using a taste in music is subjective meme is honestly outrageous when you were the one starting this talking like sum 41 was objectively shit. Again fuck off lol.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NotNow said:

The fact that you’re using a taste in music is subjective meme is honestly outrageous when you were the one starting this talking like sum 41 was objectively shit. Again fuck off lol.

giphy.gif

I think Sum 41 got better tbh. But sometimes they have a great album release, then the next album is kinda shit. But then they have another good album. They're a hit & miss band for me. But they have 2 albums I'll always love.

11 hours ago, NJansaid said:

I've never been much of a pop punk fan to be fair, that's why I loved Blink, they were so much different than the rest and really their own style.  All the other bands got pretty forgettable outside of maybe Green Day

That's why I love blink too. I grew up on pop punk and still listen to the bands from that era, but it tends to be the ones that changed. Although, I do disagree that Sum 41 never changed, cause I definitely think they changed with each album, but not as drastic as blink.

Blink literally changed with every album. Even California is completely different to their other albums I think, no matter how hard they tried to revert back to that pop punk sound. Blink is the biggest example for a pop punk band that progressed.

You might like AFI. They were from the same scene, like Offspring, Green Day, blink, Rancid, NOFX but probably got big around the same time Sum 41 got big. They changed shit loads. They don't even play punk rock anymore. Basically some electronic/alt rock band now. I'd say they're the next best example for a punk rock band that loves to experiment the way blink did. Way more experimental than Green Day, but not as drastic as blink. Quite close though. But they did take about 3-4 albums to change their sound.

I'd listen to these albums: The Art of Drowning, Sing the Sorrow, Decemberunderground. In that respective order too. Jerry Finn produced the latter two albums. I'd ignore the Crash Love album because that was pretty generic AFI IMO. But they completely changed again for the next album Burials, which I wasn't a fan of to be honest. Difficult to listen to, but it's completely different to anything pop punk/punk rock bands have ever done.

• Like 1

I'm going to see The Cure this summer and Sum 41 is opening for them, so random but that's it.

Imagine if it was blink with Tom though.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I'm going to see The Cure this summer and Sum 41 is opening for them, so random but that's it.

Imagine if it was blink with Tom though.

Holy mother of pearl.

• Haha 1

I don't know if I was just born a little too late or what, but the Offspring was never in the same realm as Blink and Green Day and other punk bands I followed growing up. I heard some of their songs on the radio but I had no idea they were beloved. Never got into them at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I don't know if I was just born a little too late or what, but the Offspring was never in the same realm as Blink and Green Day and other punk bands I followed growing up. I heard some of their songs on the radio but I had no idea they were beloved. Never got into them at all.

Omg how dare you change your mind immediately!

6 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Smash was a massive record, offspring were huge for a bit but the band sort of got covered up by the wave of punk that went mainstream right at the same time. Green Day, NoFX got massive, Rancid got massive, lagwagon, Bad Religion. It all just blew up in a major way and Offspring just got buried.

17 hours ago, Kevin. said:

This Sum 41 hate is lame. i don't think they've had a good album since Chuck but at least they aren't hiring pop song writers to make albums for them. Also, their tours sell insanely well and they still manage to rake in plenty of new/younger fans. Not to mention their live performance rules. They've got a good thing going for them. 

It’s especially lame coming from a huge Taking Back Sunday fan. That band is lame as hell lol

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, NJansaid said:

First Date has one of the funniest videos of all time attached to it.  It gets a pass.

Sum 41 is b-grade pop punk garbage that you listen to in 6th grade to feel edgy about not doing the dishes on time.  It's a step below First Date & ATST because it tries to be edgy on top of being cheesy/polished pop punk.

You suck. Taking Back Sunday is a horrible little whiny emo Band, you’re sticking up for them but bashing Sum 41? Lol what a joke