The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

22 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

giphy.gif

I love Blink. I was pretty late to the party and didn't get into them until late maybe like 2009-10, around the same time I was introduced to AVA. I had exposure well before then, but not enough access to my own music.

I just love everything about AVA even more. Tom's lyrics have suffered for the last few releases, but all the stuff people complain about like long intros, grandiose lyrics, space vibes, repetitive ideas...I can't get enough. The Dream Walker is my least favorite album of theirs, but I can recognize it was a good direction for a lot of reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whales said:

I love Blink. I was pretty late to the party and didn't get into them until late maybe like 2009-10, around the same time I was introduced to AVA. I had exposure well before then, but not enough access to my own music.

I just love everything about AVA even more. Tom's lyrics have suffered for the last few releases, but all the stuff people complain about like long intros, grandiose lyrics, space vibes, repetitive ideas...I can't get enough. The Dream Walker is my least favorite album of theirs, but I can recognize it was a good direction for a lot of reasons.

Haha that's awesome man, teasing aside it's interesting to hear the perspective of someone who heard all of his stuff at once instead of being a Blink fan first!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Haha that's awesome man, teasing aside it's interesting to hear the perspective of someone who heard all of his stuff at once instead of being a Blink fan first!

Considering I was only around 8 years old when Untitled came out, I was just late to the party. Bands like Hawk Nelson and Yellowcard were my early introduction to pop punk because of my sister, with Blink coming later because my parents weren't a huge fan of "bad language" and that kind of thing. I don't remember exactly when I started listening to Blink more, but when I was around 14 someone gave me WDNTW on cd and my interest in all things Tom Delonge grew from there.

• Like 1

Anyone noticing that Jen is almost as delusional as Tom? Tarot cards, energy rocks, always seeing “signs” in dumb shit like two pennies with the heads lined up.

I always wondered how she put up with him for so long, but now it kind of makes sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whales said:

It'd be nice if this first one would be music related and something other than AVA, since we're already aware of that.

Oy all those false promises of the past can't be ignored but one can hope a collaboration with Travis or, god willing, with Mark. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

13 hours ago, Ghent said:

Anyone noticing that Jen is almost as delusional as Tom? Tarot cards, energy rocks, always seeing “signs” in dumb shit like two pennies with the heads lined up.

I always wondered how she put up with him for so long, but now it kind of makes sense.

Wasn't there theories years ago during the first break up about her wanting Tom to leave blink and shit like that? I remember them theories at least but never believed it.

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Wasn't there theories years ago during the first break up about her wanting Tom to leave blink and shit like that? I remember them theories at least but never believed it.

I heard those rumors on another blink forum. All bullshit I'd reckon. Monetarily speaking, the blink breakup was a disaster for all. Ava and +44 never sold in the same league as blink post-Enema. So I bet Jenn was very aware of Tom taking a paycut. I'm not saying she's only about the money but that would be on my mind if I was in her position.

I do wonder if Jenn and Skye were ever friends and if that changed because of the band breaking up the first time. Man, that reunion tour had to be super awkward behind the scenes. Probably why the blinkumentary never saw the light of day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vic vinegar said:

I heard those rumors on another blink forum. All bullshit I'd reckon. Monetarily speaking, the blink breakup was a disaster for all. Ava and +44 never sold in the same league as blink post-Enema. So I bet Jenn was very aware of Tom taking a paycut. I'm not saying she's only about the money but that would be on my mind if I was in her position.

I do wonder if Jenn and Skye were ever friends and if that changed because of the band breaking up the first time. Man, that reunion tour had to be super awkward behind the scenes. Probably why the blinkumentary never saw the light of day.

For some reason, not based on anything tangible, I doubt that. I always had the impression that they weren't - not sure if it's because Skye seems so down to earth / normal 'mum' type person, or because of the occasional times Mark will talk about her, she sounds quite honest? idk, I struggle to picture it. 

I've always wondered if Mark's sister is still in touch with Tom, considering they were close. 

What's also weird is that Jen is still good friends with Tom's brother's family and his sister. To the point of going on international vacations with each other.

But Tom stays on the couch in his one bedroom apahment...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ghent said:

Yeah it's kinda sad because they really do seem perfect for each other.. she even posts U2/Punk Rock/UFO/Moon crap. 

Definitely a sad and weird situation, which it's Tom, so not surprising I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Yeah, agree on this but I think that was more on her mind from the 2nd time (3rd time according to Mark & Travis) that Tom quit. The first time, Tom just focused on music only. So AVA was his main focus, no movies, comic franchises, book franchises, space academies and all that shit haha. And the first two AVA albums were pretty successful from a commercial stand point anyway. I know on the first one they were in the top 5 on the USA album charts.

I think had Tom always just focused on AVA music even without ever returning to blink, he would've been fine for the money side of the things. AVA went downhill commercially when blink returned and when Tom was saying all that stuff about AVA not being just a band. Like he turned that Love crap into some movie as well. People would've been fine hearing AVA without all that gimmick stuff about movies & all I think.

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I just can't see him doing a real tour. Maybe like an 8 date California fake thing.

The band would probably struggle to sell out 1,000 capacity venues in normal places.

They were struggling to fill out the floor on one of their TV performances back in like 2009-2012. Can't remember which one but it was something like Jimmy Kimmel. Was around that time period and I think they hid the crowd shots so it didn't look like the place was empty.