The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

7 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I wasn't denying anything you were saying, just curious what you meant by the new venture as I hadn't heard that. Like the HMNIM stuff or something. Wasn't sure. I agree to some extent. Mark and Tom loved each other. I think money, but also just life changes everybody. I think they lost that punk rock connection. They got married, got kids, and they needed each other less in life. Sadly it happens. I absolutely think they're the McCartney and Lennon of pop punk. Perfect together, but only occasionally brilliant without each other.

Very well said. I agree with your Beatles comparison 100%. There is no new venture between Tom and Mark sadly. Just blink 3.0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Album is good. Nothing else matters. I didn't even know who Feldmann was prior to blink hooking up with him. I don't listen to modern pop punk, it sucks. Thankfully California was better than that.

He didn't. Just talking out of his ass.

What Travis said was that they wanted to work with multiple producers (label probably suggested it and the band agreed, standard business, duh). then they met with Feldmann at Travis' urging. It went so well that they just went ahead and did an entirely new album with him.

thats what I figured, but thought that maybe there was a new interview I was unaware of. Nope, just stone talkin shit.

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

If Tom had stayed, I don't think the label would have forced Feldman on them to help write music.

I think it went like, "okay, 'Blink 182' we are a bit nervous here that you are one songwriter short, and no offense to this Skiba guy, but we aren't sure 100% on him being a good replacement, so bring in Feldman, or no deal"

where did they ever say feldmann was forced by the label? i think it's clear that they were just fucking around until travis said "hey, let's ask feldy to do it". there doesn't seem to be any label pressure

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSandt said:

Tom was more of a front man for a very short period in blink's history. He had the crazier fans because he has always been more divisive. Already before the hiatus many despised Tom, his looks and his voice, while it was far easier to like Mark (who's much funnier too in my opinion; Tom's sense of humor is so forced). Tom's reputation was that of court jester, i.e., a fool. When I became a fan I thought Mark was the lead man because he had all the lead singles, and would continue to have until Feeling This.

Thank you.. Tom exploded after I Miss You..I remember this like it was yesterday. 

Humor is all preference..I like both. Mark is witty confident humor and didn't' take himself seriously, I love his humor it's the exact same as mine. He's more uptight now but he is older with kids and all so.. It happens. But Mark was one of the funniest ppl in the world with his show and joke songs.  Tom was more a edgy trouble maker always trying to get written up or just a complete dick. I honestly like his humor too.  Even when he'd botch first date, I thought it was hilariously (until he was ruining shows and stealing money off blink).  Obviously he takes himself too seriously now.  

Anyways, they were both 'leads' in a trio band. That was like their main identity is they shared vocals and hits, so I don't get the debate breaking out. Mark had more of the hits and was more known from the Dammit & Josie singles.. Then they shared the limelight with Travis throughout the Enema/TOYPAJ.. Then I Miss You dropped and Tom got all this attention, sadly, in part for his hair (serious) and emo ish thing going on in a big catchy song exploding on the radio. The rest is history and Tom had a bit more limelight because BCR, Untitled, his own stuff was popular and +44 wasn't as much (shame), then they both faded out of the stardom around 2007 I wanna say because lack of music, a small moment in neighborhoods, and then here we are now.

That's how I remember it. So that breaks out pretty equally with Mark>Both>Tom. Notice they were on top of the world with all on same page.. part of me thinks the reason Mark seems more uptight at shows is because he can't stop thinking of how much time was wasted, how he could have been doing this all these years still 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Goldfinger.  Always enjoyed that band, respect him as a musician for sure.  He may have worked with a lot of groups I'm no fan of, but so what?  That somehow means he can't create material that I am a fan of?  At this point, Tom probably has more material that I don't like than what I do like thanks to all his AaA nonsense, but does that somehow mean I shouldn't like what he did with blink or BCR?  That kind of logic makes no sense.

Thank you

#logic

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Huh, I just figure Tom isn't interested in making the type of record John Feldmann makes.

And before you guys start with the I LOVE FELDMANN nonsense, besides this record, what do you listen by the guy? 5 Seconds of Summer? Andy Black? Sleeping With Sirens? All of those are complete trash.

I think I know what's your point on Feldman and, to some extent, I agree. I said on another thread that California si too much all-time-lowized. I like the album, and how big it sounds, but sure, it could have been less produced, and would be shining equally.

And I don't think Tom rejects Feldman work. He just hates everyone who can say to him he's not doing things okay musically speaking. He's on his own buble and don't want anybody telling him: dude, you suck nowadays. Go out, stop chasing aliens, and go to listen tons of music to get inspired again. Go and practice as hell. Work as a musician. I mean, i would like to see what Tom would have done if Finn would be still alive.

• Like 2

I love that video with him and Ilan Rubin recording the dream walker.  The first half of the video is all about how there is such a different sound and how Ilan and him need to find a way to make their styles work.

Then at the end, Tom claims that they figured it out and the song just sounds like every other AVA song lol.

The irony IMO is that his AVA sound works in blink (see neighborhoods and DED)

Here's the video lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cY5gBF79g

12 hours ago, cowboysguitars said:

I love that video with him and Ilan Rubin recording the dream walker.  The first half of the video is all about how there is such a different sound and how Ilan and him need to find a way to make their styles work.

Then at the end, Tom claims that they figured it out and the song just sounds like every other AVA song lol.

The irony IMO is that his AVA sound works in blink (see neighborhoods and DED)

Here's the video lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cY5gBF79g

Tom thought he was the greatest thing ever, and then, just like that.....gone.

• Like 2