The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Again i commend you to find out what hipgnosis is or does.

They essentially put their giaint songpool and its revenues on the stockmarket for their AND THE ARTISTS benefit.

Nobody will sue tom for promoting that material. But if somebody performs his songs e.g blink or tom himself and gains revenue, the money ends up at hipgnosis and they deal with the investing, take their cut and then pay out.

Its not even remotely what you guys are saying it is

• Haha 2
  • Crab 1

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

They essentially put their giaint songpool and its revenues on the stockmarket for their AND THE ARTISTS benefit.

Nobody will sue tom for promoting that material. But if somebody performs his songs e.g blink or tom himself and gains revenue, the money ends up at hipgnosis and they deal with the investing, take their cut and then pay out.

I mostly just form my opinions based on facts Ive made up in my head! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Neal said:

The bold makes no sense at all.

They are a company that buys music and in the hopes that they profit off of it. They bought the rights to Tom's music. Why is this so hard to understand?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neal said:

this actually makes it sounds riskier and even dumber for Tom.

Just now, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

They are a company that buys music and in the hopes that they profit off of it. They bought the rights to Tom's music. Why is this so hard to understand?

Why is it so hard for you to take a break from this place?

• Haha 3
  • Crab 1

19 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

this actually makes it sounds riskier and even dumber for Tom.

haha yeah, what he said is totally wrong, but if it was right, it would be like playing UK stock market roulette with his songs.

It is not a partnership. Tom sold the rights to all his music. End of story.

• Like 2

I’m not really sure what to think of this. I mean, I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it, but it is interesting at the very least. Maybe Tom was desperate for a large amount of fast money for some big To The Stars project or something.

I don’t really care but this is just about the only interesting blink-related news right now. So does this mean he won’t make any more money off of blink unless he makes new music with them?

pretty sure he's made all the money he can off his back catalogue and this was a way to get a shit load of cash for it one last time.

i would imagine a decision like this could easily be made by weighing how much money he would get from the sale vs how much he had been making per year off owning 1/3 of it, especially in the last five years. maybe he really wasn't making shit off those songs anymore. and it's not like the band was ever going to do special re-releases anyway. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I mean it somewhat makes sense

Even on my taxes my income generated from songwriting is classified as investment income. 

On 1/10/2020 at 1:18 AM, wannabe corn dog said:

pretty sure he's made all the money he can off his back catalogue and this was a way to get a shit load of cash for it one last time.

i would imagine a decision like this could easily be made by weighing how much money he would get from the sale vs how much he had been making per year off owning 1/3 of it, especially in the last five years. maybe he really wasn't making shit off those songs anymore. and it's not like the band was ever going to do special re-releases anyway. 

If he wasn’t making money off of it then this publicly traded company wouldn’t have spent some 15 million dollars on it.

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

If he wasn’t making money off of it then this publicly traded company wouldn’t have spent some 15 million dollars on it.

they probably have the time to try to license out random songs to be used in the background of reality tv shows, music venues, chain restaurants, movie theaters, etc by offering packages of music from artists' catalogues they own. so, they can easily make their money back over time.

since tom's back catalogue isn't super relevant anymore, i doubt anyone was seeking out the ability to license his music for anything. he's certainly not going to take the time to try to do what this company does just to make money off it again. 

• Like 2