The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I don’t have any problem with his voice, the song is just not anything special to me...simple synth beat with some subpar lyrics and a recycled chorus rhythm.

Given the years we’ve waited for new material, the teases for “aggressive punk rock”, BCR posts, teases of David Kennedy, rough patch he’s been through, this scares me that this is the “single”. 

Thought for sure Tom would come out proving a point with a catchy guitar riff and a bit of angst. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I don’t have any problem with his voice, the song is just not anything special to me...simple synth beat with some subpar lyrics and a recycled chorus rhythm.

Given the years we’ve waited for new material, the teases for “aggressive punk rock”, BCR posts, teases of David Kennedy, rough patch he’s been through, this scares me that this is the “single”. 

Thought for sure Tom would come out proving a point with a catchy guitar riff and a bit of angst. 

Meh I won’t give up yet. Paralyzed was the first song released off dream walker and that’s objectively the worst song.

Edit: Just listened to it for the first time. It’s alright nothing amazing. It’s just really refreshing hear Tom singing again and his song style after years. I hate the main synth riff and the chorus isn’t anything special. I like when the guitar comes in, but hate the synth on its own. The bridge is the standout part of the song. I like it more than Paralyzed at least so I’m hopeful.

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

Meh I won’t give up yet. Paralyzed was the first song released off dream walker and that’s objectively the worst song.

Edit: Just listened to it for the first time. It’s alright nothing amazing. It’s just really refreshing hear Tom singing again and his song style after years. I hate the main synth riff and the chorus isn’t anything special. I like when the guitar comes in, but hate the synth on its own. The bridge is the standout part of the song. I like it more than Paralyzed at least so I’m hopeful.

thats one of my favourites

44 minutes ago, dildo69er said:

That post must be old? As Ilan is the drummer and essentially 50% of the music now

Its from last March when he started recording this album. If you actually go back through his Instagram, he’s actually seemingly spent a lot of time on this album. David and Ilan entered the picture in February the week AVA’s Instagram started building up to this single release. All very interesting. He’s mentioned Strange Times multiple times over the year regarding the album so I assume the album is still Strange Times.

6 hours ago, Regi. said:

He sounds like he has something stuck in his throat, right? Like he ran around the block and tried to sing right away without sounding like he’s out of breath. Its kinda odd. 

This! 

It's just a shame, cause I have always liked his music. It's really his voice that makes me not want to listen the latest AVA songs...

Heard it once, and as someone who loved Dream Walker and the EPs I gotta say I am not a fan.

I'm going to listen to it again properly when it's out but from what I've heard it sounds way more old school AVA which I always hated with cheesy ass synth and absolutely abhorrently stupid lyrics. I'm used to Tom's voice these days but still, yikes. Never listened to Simple Creatures again as it just straight up didn't appeal and I have absolutely no enthusiasm for new blink because I'm assuming it'll be a kid themed hot mess. Remember when the guys from blink knew what an electric guitar was? I'm struggling to. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

Heard it once, and as someone who loved Dream Walker and the EPs I gotta say I am not a fan.

I'm going to listen to it again properly when it's out but from what I've heard it sounds way more old school AVA which I always hated with cheesy ass synth and absolutely abhorrently stupid lyrics. I'm used to Tom's voice these days but still, yikes. Never listened to Simple Creatures again as it just straight up didn't appeal and I have absolutely no enthusiasm for new blink because I'm assuming it'll be a kid themed hot mess. Remember when the guys from blink knew what an electric guitar was? I'm struggling to. 

Love how he blends the synths in this. There is guitar in every part of the song. Just not palm muted or power chords. I’d understand why tom is sick of it. 

But i agree the song is ok. I like it. i have high hopes for the album. Good vibes. 

I hated paralyzed but ended loving tdw

21 minutes ago, Regi. said:

Love how he blends the synths in this. There is guitar in every part of the song. Just not palm muted or power chords. I’d understand why tom is sick of it. 

But i agree the song is ok. I like it. i have high hopes for the album. Good vibes. 

I hated paralyzed but ended loving tdw

to be fair I heard it once on my phone, I want to listen to it properly later with headphones to get a better idea of it, but all I got from it was the synth and bad lyrics.

I also hated Paralyzed and still think it's the worst song on TDW and that's easily my fave AVA album so I'm not automatically writing it all off. we'll see. 

• Like 1