The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Even people who seem to be otherwise level headed, are prone to the tombot disorder. He made this thread to make fun of him, now he is editing it constantly to protect him.

Just fyi, I’m a RiversBot™️ now. I’ve renounced being a TomBot™️.

Interesting quote from the article Mark just shared:

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/blink-182-interview-nine

“When Tom was in the band, that’s when Blink did its best work,” Hoppus says. “Now post-Tom, with Matt in the band, we’re approaching songs differently.” He also insists there’s no bad blood between the former bandmates: “I talked with Tom for the first time in two years right before we started this tour,” he says. “The conversation was more about us just telling each other, ‘No hard feelings. You do your thing, we’ll do our thing.’ It’s all good.”

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Interesting quote from the article Mark just shared:

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/blink-182-interview-nine

“When Tom was in the band, that’s when Blink did its best work,” Hoppus says. “Now post-Tom, with Matt in the band, we’re approaching songs differently.” He also insists there’s no bad blood between the former bandmates: “I talked with Tom for the first time in two years right before we started this tour,” he says. “The conversation was more about us just telling each other, ‘No hard feelings. You do your thing, we’ll do our thing.’ It’s all good.”

Yeah it is a bit weird to see Mark admit that. That’s like telling everyone that their new records don’t hold a candle compared to earlier work. 

You could also try and read into it that when Tom was “in” blink is when they did their best work, ie after he checked out it wasn’t so great even though they were still technically together. 

I don’t think he actually mean that blink did it’s best work before Tom left. If he believed that then there would sort of be no point carrying on. Plus it’s a huge fuck you to Matt. 

All of Blink's best work WAS with Tom. That's not a diss, that's just acknowledgement. California was fun and Nine is brooding and good but neither are Classics nor will they ever be. I think Mark, Matt and Travis all know that and I think they are all okay with that. They may well have another classic album up their sleeve still but Mark isn't discounting or playing down what Blink was and what Tom meant to the music. That's a good thing, that's healthy, it is where you want their heads to be because it pushes them out of complacency and into trying to make music on par with previous efforts. I don't know if they'll ever quite get there but it's nice to see the acceptance. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lost>Oliver said:

lol, they've done such a shitty job at making Matt feel comfortable.

No they’ve made clear that he isn’t trying to be Tom. He’s filling in for Tom by doing his own thing. Props to him and blink. They’ve handled this really well. Crab me.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

If he said this was the best record of blink’s career you guys would be in absolute shambles. There’s nothing wrong or weird about what he said

Well the Kansas crew flips out everytime Tom plugs blink in interviews, so... why does Mark get to name-drop Tom?

All jokes aside, this quote from Mark is refreshing and thanks to a friend on the boards I was able to listen to Nine a few times at work and then "officially" once today on my way to a show. I enjoyed the album, still hated 3 of the 5 tracks released before it dropped, but am pleased to say those were the worst 3 on the album.

Mark's quote has allowed me to fully move on from old blink and I might even buy the album to show support. I'll even start listening to them again on spotify.

Black Rain is dope!!!

5 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Actually agree with this.  I still feel like things are weird. Maybe it’s because I’m insecure myself.  

Most bands will replace a member and make them feel part of the team moving forward and want to progress with them..or at least attempt to.  Mark just kind of went the whole YOU ARE A FILL IN.  I don't think anyone would like that.

I just couldn't imagine playing someone else's greatest hits for this long.  Enema tour would have killed me.  Mark needs to move on lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost>Oliver said:

Most bands will replace a member and make them feel part of the team moving forward and want to progress with them..or at least attempt to.  Mark just kind of went the whole YOU ARE A FILL IN.  I don't think anyone would like that.

I just couldn't imagine playing someone else's greatest hits for this long.  Enema tour would have killed me.  Mark needs to move on lol.

Kinda agree. The tour didn’t make sense in the first place. Wait for the new album and THEN start touring.

The Enema theme for the tour was a quick fix to push ticket sales which seemed to work.