The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

4 minutes ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

And actually, Ghent, some of the most pioneering guitarists ever (in my mind, anyway) had very rudimentary styles. Like Johnny Ramone, for instance.

But I agree, is Tom one of the great guitar gods of rock music? No. Is he probably one of the top 10 most influential rock guitarists of the 90s? Honestly, maybe.

Agreed

I think Tom was super influential. Because blink was huge. And their style was completely apart from Green Day, Offspring, Sum 41. 

And along with Green Day, blink will be forever remembered as THE pop punk band.

So, Tom, might have pioneered something. This is not very important though. 

19 minutes ago, WPGBlink said:

I'm waiting a picture of him from years ago playing guitar or some shit. Something to get the masses of his followers talking and praising. 

Or something bigger and raises questions. Like a picture of the box car racer cover and no text with it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clarke said:

I'll say it again. Tom took guitar ideas from his scene and spearheaded them into the pop world in a new and successful way. Kyle, I'm not talking about being the first pop band to have a "punk sound", I'm talking about being the first to incorporate specific guitar elements into the mainstream at blink's magnitude. The last time I checked, the reason people have a feud with Green Day is that they are typically power-chord anthems that don't have the catchy guitar riffs that blink has thrived off of. Of course they're popular though. Green Day pioneered many other things.

To address blink's image, yes marketing helped get them to where they were. But this doesn't mean their songwriting didn't help. Of course it did. It would be naive to brush off their songwriting and not credit blink's success at all to it. To reach blink's magnitude, you need both. There's a reason their songs have lasting power. Just ask, why are you here on these forums?

What about the Offspring?

51 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I'm not trying to read these past few pages. What's the status update on this? Did people realize that Tom was a pioneer? Or are people still trying to say that he didn't pioneer a single thing 

pi·o·neer

verb
1. develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity).

So...what exactly did Tom pioneer?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Haha I thought I've seen it all on these forums. People first refused to acknowledge that there was any pioneering at all, and now that they have realized it, they still refuse to credit Tom. Ridiculous.

Pioneering their sound, yes but not the style. Tom didn't pioneer anything, Blink as a whole did. Tom had a unique style but he has always emulated bands that came before him.