The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

4 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

This is where your argument doesn't make sense.  NO ONE and certainly not Cali lovers are mad blink does this to make money; or even change their sound to make money.  They've done both in the past. 

Mark and Travis aren't trying to fund a rip-off fake company with their music, that's the difference from an integrity standpoint.  

I think that is pretty big of him tbh. Following his dream at all costs, you can't say that about that many people, certainly not in the position he was in when he quit blink

Following his dreams at all costs, even the cost of ripping off teenagers and gullible fanboys with demonstrably fake science and tech through a sham company with no potential for the ignorant investor.

A noble creature he is.

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

A difference is that Feldy has the reputation of a hitmaker-for-hire whose credits included hilariously lame pop acts and overproduced diet pop punk. Aaron Rubin seems to just be a dude Tom is friends with whose brother is in the band. Also AVA has always had rotating members going in and out to basically execute Tom's vision (for better or worse) and Blink has always been a collaboration between three bandmembers. Not to mention the fact that Blink had a brand new member who some people consider one of the coolest songwriters in the genre and they decided to bring a second outsider into the mix rather than let his influence shine through.

But you knew all of that already.

Yep,  different dynamic of working. Blink has always been a collaboration, while AVA is just Tom's vision

8 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Songs awesome. 

New Ava. New blink. More simple creatures. You guys can bicker all you want but I’m riding this hype train all year long.

I like that spirit! I’ll join you! 

14 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah I think @Ghent's just pointing out the hypocrisy and wanting fair treatment. Blink are considered "sell outs/only caring for money" even though I would argue they worked pretty hard, care, and toured their asses off. Tom's getting a pass even though AVA has been a small side job that is potentially a requirement for his other endeavors. 

Feldy's a "cowriter" and any input "ruins all Blink thoughts and poisons the process", Aaron's one and it's fine. (Even though in that documentary teaser there is a quick shot of Aaron literally telling Tom what he wants the song to do)

IDGAF either way, stoked for Blink, AVA, and even an unexpected Simple Creatures release this year... and all 3 can take all my monies on bundles/VIP packages LOL. 

I understand the point, but the differences, to me, are pretty evident.

- Tom didn't mess with blink's songs or legacy, unless you consider Blink's evolution from Untitled to DED as a mess or whatever. To me, is not. The three of them were pushing the limits forward, results may vary depending on your taste, though. Moreover, they were already sell outs when doing that. I'm fine with that, but not with the way they approached California era when Tom was out, and not whith the way they are working on this album -although we have to see how is the result-.

- AvA is just that, exactly: a small side project. It started as an ambitious band which was going to make a revolution and all the blah blah painkiller-high-Tom said, but it ended up being what it is now. For what he uses the money which may raise from this tour, now that is HIS band, is HIS business -except if there's any ethical problem on there-.

- Aaron is a member of the band, so I pressume he's a co-writer, of course, and bringing ideas to the table sounds normal to me in this situation. He joined as drummer and multiinstrumentalist. I don't like him, but he's a member who, also, produces side by side with his brother. Is like criticize Critter (RIP), who was the brain behind AvA's debut album's production, or Mr. Finn.

• Like 3

We get blink, a new band with SC, and AVA all releasing music. 

and so far I like none of it. fuck me. I think I need new heroes haha 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Kay said:

We get blink, a new band with SC, and AVA all releasing music. 

and so far I like none of it. fuck me. I think I need new heroes haha 

lol this is how I feel. I'm afraid blink (and all side projects) are becoming like Weezer for me. I get excited for each album because I know (or hope) it means I'll get one or two new songs I like. Not because I expect to like the album as a whole.

14 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

lol this is how I feel. I'm afraid blink (and all side projects) are becoming like Weezer for me. I get excited for each album because I know (or hope) it means I'll get one or two new songs I like. Not because I expect to like the album as a whole.

It's hilarious because when the new alk3 record came out I fully expected to hate it because I haven't loved one of their albums in a long, long time and because Matt did such weak shit with blink - and then it was bloody marvellous. so I'm now like "blink guys what the actual damn hell are you doing, you're all crapping across the board". 

I wish I cared anywhere near as much about other bands. like I like other bands, but blink is embedded into so much of my history and personality now - it's never going to be the same. when other artists disappoint me it's "oh well", when blink disappoint me it's both hilariously typical and also devastating each time. 

I don't know if that's a universal thing here or if I'm just a total nutter. it's probably the latter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

It's hilarious because when the new alk3 record came out I fully expected to hate it because I haven't loved one of their albums in a long, long time and because Matt did such weak shit with blink - and then it was bloody marvellous. so I'm now like "blink guys what the actual damn hell are you doing, you're all crapping across the board". 

I wish I cared anywhere near as much about other bands. like I like other bands, but blink is embedded into so much of my history and personality now - it's never going to be the same. when other artists disappoint me it's "oh well", when blink disappoint me it's both hilariously typical and also devastating each time. 

I don't know if that's a universal thing here or if I'm just a total nutter. it's probably the latter. 

You're not alone in that regard!

And yeah, I've never even been the biggest Alk3 fan, but their new album might have been my favorite album of last year. I loved it and it made me a much bigger fan of theirs. That, and seeing them live.

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

To me works as you say.

13 hours ago, knapton said:

For once hes putting stuff without a mention of TTS but yet he's still an asshole? Colour me confused

Yeah, he is an asshole. For all the previous things he has done; like scamming people out of money for TTS under false pretenses. Like signing a Blink record contract committing him to record and then backing out. Like not having the balls to ever tell anyone face to face that he is leaving the band. All kinds of stuff.

I am probably somewhere in between Ghent and the Tombots in my views. Yes, Blink has shit up their legacy. Yes, I was hoping Tom would swoop in and give us some great music that Blink hasn't been able to really deliver on.

But it doesn't change the fact that Tom is a complete piece of shit. You guys are trying to erase history here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Yeah, he is an asshole. For all the previous things he has done; like scamming people out of money for TTS under false pretenses. Like signing a Blink record contract committing him to record and then backing out. Like not having the balls to ever tell anyone face to face that he is leaving the band. All kinds of stuff.

I am probably somewhere in between Ghent and the Tombots in my views. Yes, Blink has shit up their legacy. Yes, I was hoping Tom would swoop in and give us some great music that Blink hasn't been able to really deliver on.

But it doesn't change the fact that Tom is a complete piece of shit. You guys are trying to erase history here.

Nobody’s trying to “erase history” here man. I know very well what Tom has done (I think the vast majority of us do). However, I have moved on. I’m over it. Who gives two turtle shits what Tom does with his companies? And the blink stuff? Man you’ve gotta take a deep breath and let that shit go. That was a log time ago. Everyone in the blink/angels camp is doing just fine. Enjoy it.

Yeah, neither me. I just was trying to expose situations. If we talk on an explicit way about his behaviour when blink went shambles -because he went bananas, basically-, yeah, we can't foget his struggles there and how them affected the band. He made some dirty moves there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Nobody’s trying to “erase history” here man. I know very well what Tom has done (I think the vast majority of us do). However, I have moved on. I’m over it. Who gives two turtle shits what Tom does with his companies? And the blink stuff? Man you’ve gotta take a deep breath and let that shit go. That was a log time ago. Everyone in the blink/angels camp is doing just fine. Enjoy it.

Indeed. When i think about his past actions i start to hate him a little bit. But why do that now. Its in the past. Sure he can be weird and do weird shit. I mean, if people invest in his company, well tough shit for them being so fucking dumb, and not seeing they will never get that money back. 

Blink is doing fine. AVA is back. Side project from Mark. We have new music. Its time to move on. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Okay.

You are moving goal posts. Try to stay focused here. The discussion here is on Tom's motivations behind AVA and just overall who he is.

The clear answer there is: He is a piece of shit. Any decent human will arrive at that conclusion with viewing the facts. That's all I am saying. There has been a lot of bullshit and a lot of rewriting history in this topic the last couple of days because people are gaga over his new music. There is nothing wrong with liking his new music. Nothing wrong with being excited that AVA has returned.

But when you start slobbing his knob and forgetting history; you need a reminder!

• Like 1

I think it's a lot easier for people to not care about certain aspects of AVA being back because it isn't blink and isn't trying to be. It isn't in the name of and attached to the legacy of our favourite band of all time. if Tom releases a dog turd of an AVA album it has no bearing on blink-182 as a band.

blink-182 continuing with different members, producers, and writers is no longer blink-182 so thats why people get more upset and agitated by that.

I think Tom is a total toss pot and a bit of a lunatic, and I don't give him any of my money for those reasons, but I like a handful of later AVA stuff so I listen on Spotify. I like that stuff more so than recent blink and that's just unbelievably depressing. I will continue to give the music a chance, and be entertained by him, because even though he's made me furious over the years and a lot of his antics are total bull, I genuinely believe a lot of it has more to do with him having a few screws loose than it does with him being a dick. and considering what's allegedly gone on in his personal life I'm curious to see how it effects him and changes him as time goes on. 

With Mark his sanity has never been the question - he's always been 100% about blink, so the fact that he happily will let people slice it to pieces and rob it of any substance is in some ways more upsetting. I was most upset with Tom when he was parading around blink shows in a LOVE T-shirt. he was clearly there just to profit and didn't care about blink being back at all - well is it really that different that Mark would rather bugger off with the dude from ATL and make synth pop music and rely on other writers and producers to carve out a blink album just so he can pump out more change? People give blink a harder time because they care more about blink and it's legacy as a whole.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1