The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

Their legacy was already ruined with Neighborhoods tbh.  While I loved some of those songs, it showed Tom didn't care, has major problems, and also that Mark was done artistically.  Like comparing it to their older stuff, it's a different band

I enjoy post-hiatus blink but sometimes I wish they fully committed to the break-up.

One of the reasons why blink has had such longevity (at least for me personally), though, is that their sound has distinct eras. Keeps it fresh, new - there's always a blink album that suits my mood. I guess I'm conflicted, ha. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Their legacy isn't ruined dildos

Compared to what it could have been if they never released anything beyond untitled, it’s definitely ruined. Can you imagine? Holy fuck. No half assed Frankenstein’d neighborhoods, no Matt skiba, no John Feldman, no California, no BIOMY.  Would’ve been a truly legendary legacy.

It's not ruined, 90% of anyone who knows Blink only remember ATST through I Miss You essentially. It's cemented through that, and anything else is just a bonus that is mostly irrelevant. It's just like a classic movie or franchise, Halloween 1 isn't going to be ruined because H6 sucked with a different actor/director. The new Star Wars aren't ruining the originals, yeah it may cause a fuss for hardcores, but it's just a bonus for old and new fans alike at that point. If you hate them, whatever, the originals are still there. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Compared to what it could have been if they never released anything beyond untitled, it’s definitely ruined. Can you imagine? Holy fuck. No half assed Frankenstein’d neighborhoods, no Matt skiba, no John Feldman, no California, no BIOMY.  Would’ve been a truly legendary legacy.

I'd rather have an active band that releases music than sell more novelty nostalgia tees at Hot Topic because they broke up in their prime.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I'd rather have an active band that releases music than sell more novelty nostalgia tees at Hot Topic because they broke up in their prime.

Yea I understand where you’re coming from, and I enjoy what we have now even though it’s not optimal. Just crazy to think about the alternatives sometimes.

8 hours ago, M!ke said:

Boring is better than trainwreck.  Skiba is nothing special, but at least I don't cringe every time he approaches the mic.

Skiba is a train wreck playing some of the riffs though. I’ll take the highs and lows of Tom and his personality over boring, mediocre Skiba.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Skiba is a train wreck playing some of the riffs though. I’ll take the highs and lows of Tom and his personality over boring, mediocre Skiba.

He honestly isn't as bad as this board says he is though.  It's a gigantic exaggeration that has just turned into "fact" because he messed up a handful of times, and the narrative was pushed over and over and over.  He is MUCH better live as a whole vs Tom.  

And if you argue "I lOvE tOm'S sLoPpInEsS lIvE" your point is even further moot. 

• Like 3

I think what really gets people thinking he's worse than Tom is:

1. He was originally thought to be this ultimate professional coming in to fucking nail every live performance

2. He messes up from time to time while standing still and having no energy/personality while he's playing onstage.

In comparison Tom's sloppiness was part of his charm because he was usually flying around goofing off rocking out while playing (not counting the later reunion era shows). So Skiba's screwups end up seeming like he's failing while either trying really hard or literally bored to death, while Tom's seemed like they were a result of him having too much fun.

• Like 3

Remember when Tom was in the band and everyone on here complained that he was too drunk and an embarrassment on stage?

Now it's considered "charm and energy" and is a highly sought after trait

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

2. He messes up from time to time while standing still and having no energy/personality while he's playing onstage.

It's this, combined with just not being Tom and people having 20 years of what Blink "should" be like live engraved in their minds, and now having to re imagine that with Skiba. Tom is incredibly unique, and the amount of humor/personality they would bring on stage is something fairly unheard of, no one will deny that. It's obviously going to be a little different.

But, Skiba doesn't move around and go crazy in Alk3 either, it's just not his style. So once you accept that you're not gonna get Tom's personality/energy up there, it's easier to just enjoy Skiba for what he is. He gets hype at times, interacts with the crowd at times, and will even chime in some of his weird humor now and then. I enjoy those little moments more than Mark's "I smell weed I'm calling the cops." line for the millionth time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I think what really gets people thinking he's worse than Tom is:

1. He was originally thought to be this ultimate professional coming in to fucking nail every live performance

In comparison Tom's sloppiness was part of his charm because he was usually flying around goofing off rocking out while playing (not counting the later reunion era shows). So Skiba's screwups end up seeming like he's failing while either trying really hard or literally bored to death, while Tom's seemed like they were a result of him having too much fun.

1. This is a made-up #fanfic.  He was a musician they respected in a band somewhat close to them; not to "nail" a performance like a robot. 

2.  This is you wanting Skiba to be Tom.  He's not, he stands around on-stage because it's how the guy is.  Some people don't jump off the drum riser, it doesn't mean he isn't enjoying himself or trying to put on a good show. 

This is fake news because Tom used to be goofy, rock out, run around with his guitar slung to his fucking ankles and he played almost perfectly, and sang almost identical to his recordings (or at least close to them.)  He has been lazy as fuck for a long time and his sloppiness is because HE DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK.  He purposely fucked up First Date just because he doesn't want to play it anymore.  He's a douche who takes his fans for granted.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Dudes, I was just explaining why I think people say those things. I agree with a lot of what you're saying about Tom. That's why I literally said IN MY POST "not counting the later reunion era shows"

Is there something in the water in Kansas or what?

Nah, we're all out of water. Used it all rinsing the tombots

its interesting how that intro top guitar solo for carousel as very similar feel to the ava the advanture intro top riff

whats my age again clean intro riff is extremly easy 2 play idk why mathiew strugle to play it since hes a realy good guitarist

x      x   x    x

11   11 11 11

11  11  11  11

9    x     x   x

x    9    x   x

x    x   9   11

someone send this tab to skiba via instagram