The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I think what really gets people thinking he's worse than Tom is:

1. He was originally thought to be this ultimate professional coming in to fucking nail every live performance

2. He messes up from time to time while standing still and having no energy/personality while he's playing onstage.

In comparison Tom's sloppiness was part of his charm because he was usually flying around goofing off rocking out while playing (not counting the later reunion era shows). So Skiba's screwups end up seeming like he's failing while either trying really hard or literally bored to death, while Tom's seemed like they were a result of him having too much fun.

To me it simpler: in Alkaline Trio and other projects, he just nails it. His appearances sound fillfed with passion. Meanwhile, in blink, he sounds pretty flat, IMO. And moreover, I can't recognize his songwriting on new blink's songs. That's the place fro mwhere my disappointment comes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost said:

To me it simpler: in Alkaline Trio and other projects, he just nails it. His appearances sound fillfed with passion. Meanwhile, in blink, he sounds pretty flat, IMO. And moreover, I can't recognize his songwriting on new blink's songs. That's the place fro mwhere my disappointment comes.

i;ve cum to the cunclusion that matt skiba doesnt fit it aside of on song like hey im sorry or last train home

im giving them one last chance tho with their upcoming album cant wait 2 see if they pull it off or if its the same old sam old

You guys and your magical energy and passion measurements. You think Tom just bleeds passion when singing ATST/I Miss You/First Date/etc.? He hated playing those songs so much that he quit the band to build a spaceship.

There's really no difference in Skiba's stage antics/singing technique/energy/moving and what he does in Alk3. He's "boring" on stage in Alk3 as well, the difference is he's not being unfairly compared to a wild prime Tom Delonge.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah have repeatedly said I want him back as long as he is mentally well and able to acknowledge his fuck ups, cons, and failures. 

Still years off from this based on his last turd of an interview

So if he admits he fucked up and let Matt be in the band and have Feldmann write the songs, he's good as golden?

Cool. I sort of forgive him for these things, but then again, it's really Mark's fault.

I think I'll always love blink - at least until there are no more original band members left in the band (maybe). If Tom wants to play with blink again, amazing. I'd still prefer no Matt but if they put out music I enjoy listening to, then I'm all for it. 

I don't really care who's fault it is or if anyone needs to apologize or admit to any mistakes, etc. That's all peripheral to the music itself, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

The problem with Matt (and Tom later on) is the horrible guitar tone. Wtf is he thinking using a jazzmaster and horrible distortion effects? Sometimes using the wrong effects on the wrong songs too. 

As much as I want Matt to succeed (I really feel bad for the situation he’s in trying to live up to something), his guitar tone is one of many problems with his live performance. Far from his only problem. No stage presence, no banter whatsoever with mark, forgetting lyrics, mistakes on the guitar. His whole performance with blink doesn’t work. It’s no better than Tom. They both have equal pros and cons. But I much prefer Toms pros of energetic, stage presence, and banter, to whatever pros Matt has.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NotNow said:

They both have equal pros and cons. But I much prefer Toms pros of energetic, stage presence, and banter, to whatever pros Matt has.

This is fair and most would agree, but it isn’t a question of Matt vs. Tom. It’s a question of Matt, or our fav band being completely inactive/non-existent. 

To me, it’s an easy compromise. Long live Blink, all hail Skiba.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It doesn't help that a lot of the live videos of blink have awful mixing on them.

The difference between those two videos are massive. Tom's guitar still sounds weak on the Las Vegas video but the mixing is good for it. The Reading one was atrocious and I've not seen one blink live video with Skiba there with decent mixing. Here is a Skiba one. Awful mixing.

4 hours ago, Ghent said:

Yeah have repeatedly said I want him back as long as he is mentally well and able to acknowledge his fuck ups, cons, and failures. 

Still years off from this based on his last turd of an interview

Would you accept a still totally batshit crazy Tom spouting alien conspiracies and all the rest if he was 100% committed to blink? Album every 2 years and constant touring committed but still a crazy Cunt. 

11 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

It's not ruined, 90% of anyone who knows Blink only remember ATST through I Miss You essentially. It's cemented through that, and anything else is just a bonus that is mostly irrelevant. It's just like a classic movie or franchise, Halloween 1 isn't going to be ruined because H6 sucked with a different actor/director. The new Star Wars aren't ruining the originals, yeah it may cause a fuss for hardcores, but it's just a bonus for old and new fans alike at that point. If you hate them, whatever, the originals are still there. 

EXACTLY. New stuff doesn’t ever ruin the old stuff. I’ve never understood everyone’s obsession with “legacy” here. I don’t give a shit about it. The new music could be the worst thing ever made and I’d still love the old stuff. That’s why I still think it would be cool if Tom and Travis eventually made new BCR somewhere down the line. If it sucks, who cares?? The first album won’t be ruined because of it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ghent said:

Skiba plays songs that Tom wrote better than Tom. Sad!

Maybe the vocals (if you cherry pick), but sure as shit not based on how well he plays the guitar. Skiba also screws up the lyrics, even with a teleprompter. 
Lol (I realize some of the Tom parts are when they were wayyy younger, but it's more just about how badly Skiba plays the songs): 

8 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Maybe the vocals (if you cherry pick), but sure as shit not based on how well he plays the guitar. Skiba also screws up the lyrics, even with a teleprompter. 
Lol (I realize some of the Tom parts are when they were wayyy younger, but it's more just about how badly Skiba plays the songs): 

"ill admit... ill fight.... i hate them"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, oliver_makes_good_points said:

i wonder if blink would be done or still exist if travis died in that plane crash

what if they reunited with raynor

this is a wildly morbid post but i've honestly never really considered this possibility. would be interesting

• Like 2