The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

I think it was more the length of Tom's rants that annoyed Mark. They weren't quick weird one liners post reunion- they were forced, lengthy speeches that had to be interrupted to keep the setlist moving

I honestly was annoyed that Mark would always cut Tom off post reunion. I thought his speeches/rants were hilarious and as someone who goes to a lot of blink shows, Tom always just says random shit he thinks of on the spot whereas a lot of the Mark banter is stuff he says every time (which feels forced and lame in my opinion). Tom's banter made each show memorable in its own right as it was the only part of the show that changed nightly aside from the city/crowd.

• Like 2

Mark is such a tight ass. I remember the time at Jones Beach, when they setup the speakers on the side like a fortress and put up tape saying "enter at your own risk". I think it was a joke by one of the stagehands. Right in front of me, Mark tried to go in there while he was playing bass and he tripped and fell over. It was hilarious. I wish I got in on camera because very few people saw it. But instead of just laughing it off, he was VERY embarrassed he got really red in the face and kind of cowered by his microphone for the next few songs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Mark is such a tight ass. I remember the time at Jones Beach, when they setup the speakers on the side like a fortress and put up tape saying "enter at your own risk". I think it was a joke by one of the stagehands. Right in front of me, Mark tried to go in there while he was playing bass and he tripped and fell over. It was hilarious. I wish I got in on camera because very few people saw it. But instead of just laughing it off, he was VERY embarrassed he got really red in the face and kind of cowered by his microphone for the next few songs.

Ha, I'd probably do the same.  I think that's why I've always gravitated toward Mark, I've always seen a lot of myself in who he is.

Tom sure is/was the more popular one. Even now, i mean check out the new 'who would you want to hang out with' poll thread. Tom is winning. 

I think Mark didnt like Tom getting more attention and writing more singles and better songs. And now being a tight ass during the soundcheck. There is a video when blink is soundchecking (Tom era) and he says to the crowd "what is so important you have to interrupt me while i work? I dont come to your job and interrupt you". Maybe just a joke but he's annoyed. Be thankful people are paying a lot of money to see you when you're soundchecking, you can play whatever you want. 

And also with Toms speeches. Mark was like "okay thats enough" one time during a show. Just tell tom to tone it down afterwards and not infront of thousands of people

mark is a princess sometimes  

/rant

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RAX said:

And also with Toms speeches. Mark was like "okay thats enough" one time during a show. Just tell tom to tone it down afterwards and not infront of thousands of people

Was it this one?

If so it was pretty close to the hiatus, so that could just be from the tension.

• Like 1

i think mark was cocky as hell because he was the oldest and sort-of leader of the band in the mid-90s. i think he kinda got thrown off when tom grew into his own and was writing better songs around the time of enema. he's said before there was an unsaid competition between the two

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cowboysguitars said:

I've always felt that Mark couldn't accept the fact that Tom was the leader of the band when it got popular.

Mark wrote his best songs into enema of the state, after that he's just been on the ride.

They GOT popular with Enema what are you talking about.  Mark was the more popular one up until Untitled when I Miss You came out and a zillion emos hopped on board with the one eye haircut and a zillion edgier chicks hopped on board because they thought Tom looked hot in that video.  Before that it was mostly Mark with popularity from Dammit, then exploded with What's My Age Again & some more with Adams Song & Rock Show.  Tom had a moment of stardom during ATST, which I didnt see affecting Mark negatively at all..

I'll agree, while he wrote some amazing songs on Untitled he definitely seems more on the ride there, but I don't think he was jealous at all, he loves Blink and in that footage of in the making he loved the idea of playing something nothing like Blink before..I mean he still plays Feelin This at every open, Violence, Miss You, etc.  What I DO think and we all know drove him crazy was the Box Car Racer situation and then nail in the coffin with AvA. 

Doubt he cared about Tom getting big on Untitled, but yes was ruined after hiatus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

They GOT popular with Enema what are you talking about.  Mark was the more popular one up until Untitled when I Miss You came out and a zillion emos hopped on board with the one eye haircut and a zillion edgier chicks hopped on board because they thought Tom looked hot in that video.  Before that it was mostly Mark with popularity from Dammit, then exploded with What's My Age Again & some more with Adams Song & Rock Show.  Tom had a moment of stardom during ATST, which I didnt see affecting Mark negatively at all..

I'll agree, while he wrote some amazing songs on Untitled he definitely seems more on the ride there, but I don't think he was jealous at all, he loves Blink and in that footage of in the making he loved the idea of playing something nothing like Blink before..I mean he still plays Feelin This at every open, Violence, Miss You, etc.  What I DO think and we all know drove him crazy was the Box Car Racer situation and then nail in the coffin with AvA. 

Doubt he cared about Tom getting big on Untitled, but yes was ruined after hiatus

I think Tom was always more of the lead man, The record company approached Tom about making solo music, they didn't approach Mark about it( Which I think also added to the Boxcar drama, Mark felt for the first time like he WAS the second place guy and the playing field wasn't equal), I think they wanted Tom to be the lead man, They knew the world viewed him as the lead man, and they thought he was the most talented and biggest money maker of the two. I think they were right. The only reason California is so huge right now is most likely because everyone wants it to be the 90's, everyones grown up and when they heard blink was back they all freaked out, and honestly, marketing.... Money thrown at it... I don't think it's cause Mark is a good leader or the leader or anything like that ( just my opinion) ... I just feel like Tom was always the funnier one, Tom was always the more praised one. Mark was the heartthrob , but Tom was the attention getter.

2 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Ya I agree, like I said Mark's last great songs were Enema of the state, after that Tom was the main songwriter of the band.  TOYPAJ is mainly written by Tom, hell all of the bonus songs are Tom's extra stuff except for two of them (mother's day and WYFG)

And Tom didn't all of a sudden get big on Untitled, what are you talking about?  Ever since Enema, he was always one of the favorites, he was certainly mine back in the day.  Of course Mark is going to tell MTV cameras that he loves the idea of playing something nothing like blink before, I don't think he had a choice in the matter.  Watch those videos, travis and tom are doing most of the creating.  Bottom line, in my opinion, Mark got too butthurt about box car.  However, I do feel that Tom should have tried that sound first with Blink any ways, cause he never gave it a chance with blink.  

i think mark always had and will always have his own audience, and yes he obviously felt butt hurt about bcr af

but for me personally the most important thing here that mark give himself completely to blink, this is his soul, his heart, his child.

where's our so creative and so popular mr. tommy? try to connect with aliens in a desert under the oblivion, well this is so creative too at some point, but for who? 

i am so biased in this conversation, all of you here knows about my love to mark hoppus and i can't describe how i honor him to his loyalty to blink, the band which  we love for many years 

mark too much sincere. and also too much sensitive, and this is his problem.

• Like 4

If anyone was in Marks situation they'd feel the exact same. That's a hard as shit pill to swallow..I personally would struggle with Box Car and Tom being approached to do solo stuff too.

Heck I'd probably still even be a bit salty towards Travis for going along with that.

Again, they were all popular but Tom only exploded past Mark after I Miss You.. At least at my school that's what I remember going down.. 

Do we know for definite that Mark was never approached for a solo effort? seriously now, has that ever been stated? what if he was offered and he was like "lol what? no, I'm in the greatest band ever why would I do that" and then Tom took the bait?

plus, even if that didn't happen, I don't think the reason Tom was offered a solo thing was because labels thought he was the more talented, attention grabbing one - it's cuz he was the hot one and had already had a semi-solo release with BCR.

If Mark had done a side project that did alright he probably would have also had that offer.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RAX said:

Tom sure is/was the more popular one. Even now, i mean check out the new 'who would you want to hang out with' poll thread. Tom is winning. 

I think Mark didnt like Tom getting more attention and writing more singles and better songs. And now being a tight ass during the soundcheck. There is a video when blink is soundchecking (Tom era) and he says to the crowd "what is so important you have to interrupt me while i work? I dont come to your job and interrupt you". Maybe just a joke but he's annoyed. Be thankful people are paying a lot of money to see you when you're soundchecking, you can play whatever you want. 

mark is a princess sometimes  

/rant

I guess they've talked that backstage. I wasn't there, but is that kind of things that you sure talk with your bandmates after and before a show. Mark's response was clearly a reaction to what seems, to me, a talked thing to not to do it again.

Similar to when Tom started to butcher First Date lately. I remember Mark moving his head like "oh, no, man, here we go again". And in other show (Comicon?) I remember telling him Tom he should read the e-mails when tom said something like why they put First Date again on the set.

I mean, and not wanting to go on the DeLonge hate wagon, I perceive like Tom was just doing whatever he wanted no matter what they were talking or mailing each other. If so, i can understand Mark being upset about it.

• Like 1

Tom was more of a front man for a very short period in blink's history. He had the crazier fans because he has always been more divisive. Already before the hiatus many despised Tom, his looks and his voice, while it was far easier to like Mark (who's much funnier too in my opinion; Tom's sense of humor is so forced). Tom's reputation was that of court jester, i.e., a fool. When I became a fan I thought Mark was the lead man because he had all the lead singles, and would continue to have until Feeling This.

• Like 1

I never thought either Mark or Tom were "the popular one". Mark maybe was the "lead" in terms of how the band was run and being slightly older, but in terms of being presented they both had their space. I don't think either was "hot". My sister said they were both goofy, especially Delonge.