The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

15 minutes ago, NotNow said:

If that was the case, wouldn't olivertrump have been told that someone else already has the rights, not that the band wasn't interested.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What I'm saying is that because they released the album through Modlife, effectively making Modlife the label for Dogs Eating Dogs, it is my theory that Tom actually stood to make more money no matter who they pressed a physical release with.  And if that were the case I imagine this pissed off Mark and Travis and they called off the physical release, hence why he was told that the band wasn't interested.  I truly wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

45 minutes ago, phillyguitar92 said:

Modlife ultimately suffered the same fate as MySpace. Eventually, some better and more accessible form of the technology or platform arises. I don't think much about Modlife was particularly revolutionary, but some of the ideas were actually ok. Paying a subscription fee to have behind the scenes online access to demos, live chats, early presales, rehearsals is pretty cool - and many people would definitely pay 10-15 bucks a month to be able to get exclusive content from a favorite band that's not available elsewhere. I don't think that was the problem. The problem was more the fact that technology was invented where bands could do these things on their own terms (Instagram live, Snapchat, Facebook live, and numerous other online apps and platforms) - so as somebody mentioned - why pay a fee to stream your shit on modlife when you can do it on Instagram for free? Sure you might not get the few hundreds of monthly subscription fees coming in but you don't have to pay the fees to the company/Tom because you can just do it all on your own. And most bands would rather have free and accessible exposure for all on Instagram/Facebook/Snapchat/ect than make a little bit of cash streaming it to select people. So it wasn't a terrible idea - but it definitely wasn't revolutionary either.

Yeah, there were definitely some good ideas in there.

I think part of the reason it failed was that even Angels & Airwaves (which was by far the band with the highest draw to the site) stopped using it regularly. I joined when Modlife was brand new and it was actually pretty awesome at first because the band members were all super active on there, and we were actually able to communicate with them on Modlife video chats and stuff. It was a lot of fun being able to ask Tom to play a certain song when he would pull out his acoustic guitar, and having him actually play the song you requested (this happened a few times for me. My favorite was when I asked him to play Touchdown Boy, and he did! I also asked him to sing Tim's part on Cat Like Thief and he did it, which was funny). But as time went on, you could tell that the novelty of it was wearing off for the band members. They all became less and less active, and so there was less and less of a reason to keep paying for a subscription. Not to mention we never got a lot of the things that Tom said would eventually be available to subscribers (like exclusive songs, etc...). Tom and AVA themselves lost interest in Modlife, and in turn, everyone else did as well. I think Dogs Eating Dogs was Tom's last attempt to keep Modlife relevant, and when that didn't work, he gave up.

8 hours ago, M!ke said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What I'm saying is that because they released the album through Modlife, effectively making Modlife the label for Dogs Eating Dogs, it is my theory that Tom actually stood to make more money no matter who they pressed a physical release with.  And if that were the case I imagine this pissed off Mark and Travis and they called off the physical release, hence why he was told that the band wasn't interested.  I truly wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Label for DED, if we can call it a label, was Viking Wizard Eyes -which is the same that released California too, then licensed to BMG, if I'm correct-. It's the same thing Foo Fighters have been doing for years: they release their albums under Roswell Records, property of Dave Grohl, an then licensing to much bigger labels for their distribution. That's the safer way to keep your records safe and its rights under your control: owning them under your label, and then licensing them for distribution. You pay a major label for it, but in the end, with bands like this, the sales and worldwide distribution pays all the effort, while still owning your recordings.

As far as I know, Modlife wasn't a label itself, but a platform which was capable of selling stuff, it could have worked as a 'distribution' deal, though. Is like a band selling its album on iTunes. The label is not iTunes. But the platform is making a cut for selling it as digital distributor. I think that was the deal Tom really wanted to achieve.

Probably he was thinking abount singing big bands like blink in order to gain/buy distribution rights and start to make more money to grow, and then, maybe, he had plans to create a label, but that's only my speculation.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

It has and it would be stellar.

I thought you were trolling with this Tom Delonge crap, a certain someone sent me a PM and said you were not.

But after stuff like this, I think I disagree with them, I think you are. Given the current situation with Tom, I just don't think there is anyway you can believe a BCR album would be "stellar" you are intentionally trying to annoy people. The act is somewhat subtle, which is good, but I don't buy it.

Just now, Olidamus said:

I thought you were trolling with this Tom Delonge crap, a certain someone sent me a PM and said you were not.

But after stuff like this, I think I disagree with them, I think you are. Given the current situation with Tom, I just don't think there is anyway you can believe a BCR album would be "stellar" you are intentionally trying to annoy people. The act is somewhat subtle, which is good, but I don't buy it.

Who is PMing you about me? I would love to hear an Anthony Green guest vocal on anything. Whether it be BCR or Blink.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

If his entire persona here is a troll, that's sure a lot of effort to put into something with very little reward...would there really be a point to it?

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

If his entire persona here is a troll, that's sure a lot of effort to put into something with very little reward...would there really be a point to it?

Well I don't think he is a total troll, I just think on the Tom stuff, feels like he is pushing the buttons of Tom haters. There is no way he can think that a BCR album would sound good. I just don't buy it. Some of the other stuff he says too like how Blink is "Toms band" and then when I explain how the band belongs to all of them, he keeps falling back on the "its Tom's band". It feels like he is just trying to get a reaction and doesn't really believe a lot of what he is saying.

But I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Well I don't think he is a total troll, I just think on the Tom stuff, feels like he is pushing the buttons of Tom haters. There is no way he can think that a BCR album would sound good. I just don't buy it. Some of the other stuff he says too like how Blink is "Toms band" and then when I explain how the band belongs to all of them, he keeps falling back on the "its Tom's band". It feels like he is just trying to get a reaction and doesn't really believe a lot of what he is saying.

But I could be wrong.

It's hard to say. He's either the world's most unfunny troll or just has terrible opinions about many things  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thongrider said:

But Blink IS Tom's band. Doesn't mean people have to like it, but it's the truth. 

Exactly. I'm sorry some people can't get that, but please try to live in reality.

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's hard to say. He's either the world's most unfunny troll or just has terrible opinions about many things  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol, Oliver this is coming from a die hard California bot, Failedmann fiend. Me thinks he is the troll here. or he just has horrible opinions.