The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I don't get how he's swindling anybody. Like, nobody is under the impression they're getting anything right? It's donations. You invest in them doing something with your money.

Are they expecting anything in return?

in·vest

verb

1. expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-benefit_corporation

More broadly, a public-benefit corporation could be any corporation that exists for a charitable purpose, though these are generally called non-profit corporations if they are not founded by a government. Some jurisdictions (the U.S. State of Maine, for instance) might define a public-benefit corporation broadly. In California, public-benefit corporations are one of several types of non-profit corporations.

according to their website, they are a PBC. You invest in their mission, and they presumably act out their mission, and thus the public benefits. Nobody is thinking they are getting anything back. I never heard of anybody saying they're getting anything back.

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-benefit_corporation

according to their website, they are a PBC. You invest in their mission, and they presumably act out their mission, and thus the public benefits. Nobody is thinking they are getting anything back. I never heard of anybody saying they're getting anything back.

you might want to read you linked

Public-benefit corporations are a specific type of corporation that allow for public benefit to be a charter purpose in addition to the traditional corporate goal of maximizing profit for shareholders.

He is.

More broadly, a public-benefit corporation could be any corporation that exists for a charitable purpose, though these are generally called non-profit corporations if they are not founded by a government. Some jurisdictions (the U.S. State of Maine, for instance) might define a public-benefit corporation broadly. In California, public-benefit corporations are one of several types of non-profit corporations.

That's what I was referring to in "Other Definitions".

I still don't see where people are being swindled or saying they expect anything. Are they sitting at home waiting for Tom to show up with a space craft of some sort?

This seems pretty clear and open.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I don't get how he's swindling anybody. Like, nobody is under the impression they're getting anything right? It's donations. You invest in them doing something with your money.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

But he's overcharging for the shares by like 5,000%.. and I don't believe you get any sort of payout if you were to sell them? Like you aren't investing in to the stars through a trade you are straight up donating, like you said.  That's pretty deceptive, and you can't expect some 14-18 year olds with a credit card to understand investing but they've heard of it so it sounds legit to them.

He should have straight up called it donations, a Kickstarter, gofundme, patreon or whatever and it wouldn't be suspicious.

Investing means your are becoming a part of it.. If part of it means seeing his vision unfold well... You know that does sound like Tom so that's the only possible explanation I'd see on his end.

• Like 2

Just now, Cat_Lover182 said:

But he's overcharging for the shares by like 5,000%.. and I don't believe you get any sort of payout if you were to sell them? Like you aren't investing in to the stars through a trade you are straight up donating, like you said.  That's pretty deceptive, and you can't expect some 14-18 year olds with a credit card to understand investing but they've heard of it so it sounds legit to them.

He should have straight up called it donations, a Kickstarter, gofundme, patreon or whatever and it wouldn't be suspicious.

Investing means your are becoming a part of it.. If part of it means seeing his vision unfold well... You know that does sound like Tom so that's the only possible explanation I'd see on his end.

The legal age in the United States to obtain your own credit card is 18 years. I doubt anybody who is hurting for money is giving kids their credit cards to spend whatever on. It sounds like their fault if they do.

I've already said what investing means. You can invest in your community by donating to Planet Parenthood. Doesn't mean you should get anything in return beyond satisfaction.

It's a fucking company dude, not your community or your kids future where you can bend the term 'investing'.

It's a company.. so using the term investing should mean you are receiving shares in the company, it's donating.

He couldn't even have the dignity to make it a Kickstarter or something to protect the fans donating is what bothers me.

• Like 1