The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Trav/Mark are doing just fine though, and I don't think they'll care too much about Tom's financial troubles that he caused himself. The only way I honestly see Tom coming back is if something would happen to Skiba (either tragic or he just gets sick of the spotlight and bails). At which point we'd have an awkward 2-3 year span of nothing, and then *maybe* a "Hey we can cash in on an Untitled 20 reunion tour and retire" comeback with Tom.

It's a legal divorce. If you divorced your ex of 20 years, did everything to get her out of your life, were happily remarried and doing great...Would you give a shit if your ex came calling saying that she needed money because of stupid decisions she made that led to your divorce?

• Like 2

Only way Tom comes back anytime soon is if Skiba quits or if they allow Tom to join them as a foursome.

Mark, Tom, Travis, and Matt with a producer would end up being amazing. Tom still has good little riffs and progressions, he just needs someone to tell him to fuck off when he starts experimenting beyond that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Only way Tom comes back anytime soon is if Skiba quits or if they allow Tom to join them as a foursome.

Mark, Tom, Travis, and Matt with a producer would end up being amazing. Tom still has good little riffs and progressions, he just needs someone to tell him to fuck off when he starts experimenting beyond that.

I'd be veryyy intrigued by that! I've realized over the past 3 years that Skiba just doesn't do much for me, whether it's in Blink or 75% of the Alkaline Trio catalog, but having him as a rhythm guitarist/background vocalist in a 4-piece Blink could be pretty fucking cool.

• Like 1

Skiba does a better job than Tom had been doing, but neither can really hold down lead guitar and vocals on a lot of these songs anymore. No shame in lightening the load. And the vocals could be really cool with Mark in the low range, Tom high, and Skiba with some screams/yells on new songs.

What has Tom finished or followed through with in the past 3 years?  One presentation of paid ""ex government officials""" about building a space craft.  Granted that was funny and surprising it actually happened, literally everything else is just teasing to a disturbing extent.

Skiba is good at keeping his word and can balance his projects. I know Trio didn't release an album for ages but at least he wasn't stringing the band and their fans along like Tom was. But based on the past 5 years, I still think Tom is the way better songwriter.

Skiba definitely has had a couple of great songs though. Big fan of Way Bakk When from the Sekrets. Lyrically Skiba & Mark blast Tom out the water though. California has some cringe lyrics but on the more mature songs, they prove they're still great at writing them kinda lyrics. I still feel Tom is just way better with riffs and progressions like Ghent stated.

I feel like blink need to experiment though so I'm on board with them doing all that synthy new wave stuff. Just don't want them going overboard with it like majority of AVA has.

When it comes to live stuff, Tom definitely has more presence. Definitely more entertaining. Way better guitarist too and he actually improvises. Tom's problem is his guitar tone. Sometimes it's the shitty mixing which is out of blink's hands. But his guitar tone was also fucking trash. Some songs it was fine, like I Miss You & After Midnight. Tom's sound is fine for clean sounding guitars. Skiba is the better singer though. Way better, although he needs to stop yelling. Saying that though, I like the fact that Tom was trash at singing anyway. It wouldn't be blink if they weren't trash.

Skiba's guitar tone is downright horrid as well IMO. Can barely hear the damn guitar when it's on the more faster & louder songs. His clean tone is even worse. Sounds so thin. Also like strumming a piece of metal instead of guitar strings. Sometimes sounds like the suspense music from the fucking Terminator movies.

Availability is the most important factor though. Always. Skiba offers that and Tom doesn't. Tom is also one of the most unreliable fuckers in the music industry. Hard working dude for sure but he focuses on like 10 projects at once. He's not balanced enough whereas Skiba is. But if Tom all of a sudden became available, I'd just see no point in Skiba. He's not involved enough as it is and he certainly won't be if Tom is back. He'd be like that extra guitarist from Green Day but with some singing now and then. Tom won't ever work with Feldman either.

Like Whales said, I think Tom is nuts. He always has been. But I don't think he needs help like counselling or whatever. He knows what he's doing. Just he's a bit dumb and stupid. Naive too. Tom has the biggest ego of every blink member. Probably the biggest ego from the whole pop punk/punk rock scene. Very stubborn too. But he's always been a guy who follows his passions. Just he goes about it the wrong way. I think midlife crisis probably had something to do with him following his more crazy passions from the past 10 years too. He always did believe in the alien & time machine crap anyway even as far back as 1999.

He should just be honest to the band and the fans. Just like he used to be with BCR. He wasn't bullshit back then. He also wasn't bullshit back in the early days of AVA either IMO. But he was an asshole about blink's situation in 2005. He started doing all the misleading and unreliable shit when blink got back together. He never used to be that way.

• Like 2

I can totally see Tom coming back to blink at some point. I don't think it will be soon, but I think it will happen.

I also don't think Tom is as crazy as you guys think. Yeah he gets very excited and passionate about silly things, and he doesn't really follow through with most things, but that doesn't mean he's crazy or mentally unwell. He might not be the smartest, but I don't think he's an idiot. I honestly think he probably just has extreme ADHD, and can't focus on one thing long enough to finish it. With that being the case, it's actually impressive what he has accomplished and released over the last decade. Not that it's been great stuff that appeals to me, but he's put out multiple albums, made a fucking movie (I thought it was extremely boring, but still), has released novels and comics and short films, and has gotten to live his dream of studying UFOs. He might not be doing what I want him to be doing, or putting out the content that I want to see, but I think what he's done is fairly impressive regardless, even if it doesn't appeal to me.

I'm still pissed off about a lot of things he's done. I'm mad that he didn't record that 2015 blink album that he was contractually obligated to work on. I'm annoyed that he wouldn't record neighborhoods in the same room as Travis and Mark. He has promised a million things that never happened. But, eh. Maybe I've just detached myself a bit from blink-182 in the past couple of years, so it's easier for me to not hold a grudge or really care much about that stuff anymore. Yeah, it sucked, but whatever. I'd still love to spend a day with Tom, just hang out, talk about aliens, talk about music, make stupid jokes, etc... He was one of my heroes growing up, and he still kind of is.

Turns out I'm a Tombot!

• Like 3