The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

12 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Yeah it's crazy to look back on now. Growing up, you never think about the producer or care much tbh.. it's really changes your perspective on music a lot once you grow up and realize how much these guys play a part in every big band.

Blink really was lightening in a bottle. 

Yup. Incredible chemistry/personalities, great songwriting, a type of pop/punk/rock that was somehow distinct from others in the music world, and a producer who was on their exact wavelength and knew how to make their songs the best they could be. They had a great run in those glory days!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Yup. Incredible chemistry/personalities, great songwriting, a type of pop/punk/rock that was somehow distinct from others in the music world, and a producer who was on their exact wavelength and knew how to make their songs the best they could be. They had a great run in those glory days!

This except it was way too short.  I guesss lightening in a bottle isn't meant to last that long?  Think of Nirvana and all the other bands that blew ppl away for a short span.

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I hope this happens so bad now. It would be so fun!

I dunno, Love pt 2 quickly followed Neighborhoods, but there was very little fanfare here for Love pt 2.  All the same, i think most would also agree that Love pt 2 is the worst Angels album.  That could have been a more interesting time if it were a better Angels album like I Empire or even Dreamwalker.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I dunno, Love pt 2 quickly followed Neighborhoods, but there was very little fanfare here for Love pt 2.  All the same, i think most would also agree that Love pt 2 is the worst Angels album.  That could have been a more interesting time if it were a better Angels album like I Empire or even Dreamwalker.  

i think love part 2 is the best ava album. the worst is definitely the dream walker.

My favourite AVA album is probably the Dream Walker. Tom's songwriting was very good there IMO, plus he allowed more input from another band member. And it shows way more than any previous AVA release I think. Not a perfect album at all but without Jerry Finn or Mark bringing him down to earth, I don't think Tom will ever be perfect.

WDNTW was the most ambitious one of them all. Has the better ideas but the songs are way too long and boring at times. I feel the same way regarding I-Empire too. Love 1 & 2 has very good ideas but I think the songwriting on that was generally shit. Plus he started recycling shit a lot more around this period.

47 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Only song i can tolerate in that album is Saturday Love, rest is boring filler if ya ask me. 

i guess that's why i like that album. the others try hard to be grandiose, but the songs are actually not that great. love part 2 feels like it is just a collection of leftover material. it wasn't surrounded by an annoying hype, so it ended up being better than the rest. for me.

I have a weird relationship with AVA because I somehow was able to make a pretty clean break after Blink broke up the first time. I was obviously curious what the former members of my favorite band were up to those first couple years, but once I saw Tom's nonsense interviews and I heard the first AVA album I knew I just wasn't interested at all. Same went for Travis's reality show haha. I liked +44 more but wasn't nearly as obsessed as I was with Blink. That mid-2000s era was pretty weird for each of them and also happened to coincide with a golden age of indie music that I was all in on.

As AVA went on I checked out I-Empire and liked about 5 songs, then never listened to a full album of theirs again until Dream Walker, which was because Tom was back in Blink at that time so I got curious I guess. That didn't grab me either though. It's kinda weird to have one of my favorite and most influential singer/songwriters have an entire catalog of music that doesn't interest me at all haha, but it's just never worked for me.

giphy.gif

....I'm still very interested in what he puts out next haha.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M!ke said:

I just think it would be funny because it would be a shitty thing to do, and also because Dogs Eating Dogs and Stomping the Phantom Brake Pedal were released on the same day lol

I definitely think the Love albums suffered from Tom focusing on quantity over quality. He was working on Neighborhoods, Love Part 1 and Love Part 2 all within a year. I think Neighborhoods kinda slightly suffered from it too, but Mark & Travis did focus shit loads on that album, which is a big reason why that album is solid despite Tom not being 100%.

Plus blink fans just lost interest of AVA around that time. It was blink's come back album. If AVA release an album within 1-4 months of the new blink album, it'll be way better than what the Love albums were. Tom is 100% focused on AVA rather than half assing ideas back and forth between blink & AVA. Plus if blink release California Part 3, then the AVA album is probably gonna be better than what it actually is to most blink fans.

At the moment, I've got low hopes for both the blink album and AVA album. I'm expecting some California Part 3 effort from blink and from the little clips I've heard from AVA, they're nothing special apart from maybe one of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

I definitely think the Love albums suffered from Tom focusing on quantity over quality. He was working on Neighborhoods, Love Part 1 and Love Part 2 all within a year. I think Neighborhoods kinda slightly suffered from it too, but Mark & Travis did focus shit loads on that album, which is a big reason why that album is solid despite Tom not being 100%.

Plus blink fans just lost interest of AVA around that time. It was blink's come back album. If AVA release an album within 1-4 months of the new blink album, it'll be way better than what the Love albums were. Tom is 100% focused on AVA rather than half assing ideas back and forth between blink & AVA. Plus if blink release California Part 3, then the AVA album is probably gonna be better than what it actually is to most blink fans.

At the moment, I've got low hopes for both the blink album and AVA album. I'm expecting some California Part 3 effort from blink and from the little clips I've heard from AVA, they're nothing special apart from maybe one of them.

Love part 1 came out 18 months before neighborhoods. He wasn’t really working on anything else until after love part 1 came out.

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

You heard clips from the new album? 

57 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Have you zoomed in on his face?

On the real, I have way more faith in Tom than current blink making something listenable. Tom does seem more into it than usual.

No, I didn't zoom in on his face. I'm not a ethan.