The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Still blows my mind that people don't understand the meaning of  "Wildfire" and that line is saying he DOESN'T want to end up that way, or at minimum, the alternate interpretation is that it is a fictional perspective of someone who lives that way and ends up at heaven's gate saying:

"Don't tell me it's too late? I'll own all my mistakes...

and they alternate lines with Skiba taking the other perspective: "Strike a match and start a wildfire" (i.e. you're going to hell), then "Watch you burning in the wildfire"...meaning you're going to hell bud...

Before that, the first lines are this character saying "I could never own up. Don't want to end up caught in a landslide, with the other  side." (meaning there is so much WRONG he has done that he doesn't want to admit,  and there is a pile of evidence of why they will not be let in to "Heaven")

Even the other complaints from the song are people not comprehending the meaning:

"We won this war (meaning they made it into Heaven), we cursed and swore (meaning they sinned along the way), they stood no chance at all (no chance to make it in because of the lifestyle listed above)"

The Bridge:
"I don't forget. I don't forgive. I'll never change the way I live." (the person is admitting they are not going to change anything about themselves...)

and the final line:

"The underdogs came home." (i.e. they still made it in despite living a horrible life)

I get that the the whole war thing was a bit overplayed, but this is actually one of the few songs that is quite poetic IMO if you dig into the lyrics. (And not surprising, it was a Mark/Matt only song). People just hear the "xanax/cheating" stuff and think it's Mark trying to be cool or something he's not, and it's a fictional story likely inspired off some book they both read or something...the instrumentals are great too, love this song, absolute banger. 

California is littered with lyrics that are awful and are only designed to rhyme. Bottom of the Ocean and Teenage Satellites quickly come to mind. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whales said:

Hey @Ghent and @JarJarBlinks, you do guys like Tom Delonge's band Angels & Airwaves?

I love Whisper; it's probably one of my favorite "sounding" albums production-wise of all time, I-Empire is also really good, minus a couple of lame songs.  

EDIT: @Ghent

302z79.jpg

3 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Not a huge fan of the Feldmann stuff.....

But Rebel Girl is definitely not as good as most of California.

Get real Jan.

Go take another break and clean your ears out.  Rebel Girl chorus, albeit the lyrics, kicks the shit out of California off the melody alone.  That post guitar feels like an actual member from the band we loved and not some co written garbage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

Go take another break and clean your ears out.  Rebel Girl chorus, albeit the lyrics, kicks the shit out of California off the melody alone.  That post guitar feels like an actual member from the band we loved and not some co written garbage.

I just love when Tom slurs out "my little cinddddeeeerrrrrr-ELLA" 

What's a post guitar?

I agree.... Not a huge fan of rebel girl but it has toms fingerprints all over it and i will always be driven to that stuff... Feldmanns guitar and lyric work just doesnt resonate with me that well, so california doesnt really respond with me....

I'm not hiding the fact that my opinion is extremely biased but i'd rather have tom write songs that arent as good but he thinks they are vs blink hiring people to help them write songs the majority of people will like. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

I'm impressed by this interpretation, especially because I think you may have put more thought into it than Mark did!

zsonUG0.jpg

Lol, almost forgot that one.

Pretty much every lyric, not just that one, "came together really quickly", at John's studio, his house, his car, his jaccuzzi.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3