The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

To be honest I think the vast majority of Blink fans were very stoked for Skiba to come onboard. It was after they started releasing songs that had absolutely none of his influence and playing passionless concerts with almost as many screwups as Tom that people decided it wasn't a good fit after all.

I'm not a very big Skiba/Alkaline Trio fan myself, I think some of his songs are incredible but in general I definitely don't find him to be the songwriting god that a lot of people do. But I certainly thought he was going to bring some awesome attributes to the table with Blink and thought he and Mark would end up having a similar thing as Tom/Mark, where they both brought strengths and weaknesses and figured out rad ways to balance each other out. Sadly that hasn't happened yet. I'll always be veryyyyyy curious what those first 30 songs that they threw out sounded like. Seems pretty apparent that Skiba realized at that moment that he was just along for the ride.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

To be honest I think the vast majority of Blink fans were very stoked for Skiba to come onboard. It was after they started releasing songs that had absolutely none of his influence and playing passionless concerts with almost as many screwups as Tom that people decided it wasn't a good fit after all.

I'm not a very big Skiba/Alkaline Trio fan myself, I think some of his songs are incredible but in general I definitely don't find him to be the songwriting god that a lot of people do. But I certainly thought he was going to bring some awesome attributes to the table with Blink and thought he and Mark would end up having a similar thing as Tom/Mark, where they both brought strengths and weaknesses and figured out rad ways to balance each other out. Sadly that hasn't happened yet. I'll always be veryyyyyy curious what those first 30 songs that they threw out sounded like. Seems pretty apparent that Skiba realized at that moment that he was just along for the ride.

This exactly. I like some of Skiba's music, but if he's not writing much, what's the point? Anybody could do it.

I'd only be able to recognize the song Armageddon. Mediocre song but I find it kinda annoying. Both times I've seen Matt (once with Alk3 at a fest, once with blink) he's been.... just kinda there onstage. And I still have a headache from all the shouting he did on the 2 California releases. But I get I never gave him a fair shot, but he never enticed me enough to check Alk3 out.

So naturally I wasn't excited about Skiba being deemed worthy to carry on blink...but I said fuck it, Tom's crazy now, so I gave him a chance. Turns out I like a few songs but overall felt it was a lazy effort, just disgraceful enough that it should've been a side project.

With all that said... I don't blame Matt for any of this shit. This is on Mark. And Feldy. And I guess Travis is an accomplice. But I think Matt hasn't had too much say. I think if they'd gotten rid of the writers and worked together, especially after getting familiar after the first album, they might have something fresh that reinvents blink. Then Tom can continue AVA wherever he wants and go chasing UFOs and it'd all be fine. But if this album makes no waves, or worse,  crashes and burns, it'll be the Tom, Mark and Travis show in the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

Really? Pretty sure his sad ass would be a prop in the background as long as he's getting paid.

i could see it like mr. brett returning to BR after those atlantic years and they just keep brian baker anyway.

7 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yes, but it would've been a totally different story if Pat's introduction was as the new frontman after Kurt was gone. Fans would've ripped him for stuff that is out of his control and him just trying his best. If Skiba came in as a backup guitarist, people (Tombots) would be way more accepting. Instead they unfairly compare him to Tom and complain because it's not the same. 

How jan can not see how they are two completely different things is beyond me. Replacing a front man is not the same as slipping into the background.

2 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

He has more charisma than Shitba.

and interesting point i was thinking of was that, 

alkina trio were never in general a mainstream type of band, even tho they've gotten prety famous in the end and have influanced many people/bands

so when matt is put into blink hes not on the same level of charisma as mark and t-ravshit 

and it does sound off a bit, tho i dont mind it myself as im a big fan of how matt sounds and all that

but i can see how to the averge person this could be realy apperant to them and displease them

16 hours ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

This is dangerous, once he sees how cringey Mark's insta is he probably won't want to come back.

Anyone else think the divorce has something major to do with this? What if it was really Jen who hated blink and got in his head?

Hm... not exactly my thoughts, but something in that way.

I was thinking about Tom being mentall ill this last years. That's only my speculation. So, maybe To mstarted to have some problems back in the day, which ended up ruining blink reunion (despite Nighborhoods and DED) and future plans. So it all broje down in a bad way with Mark continuing blink with Travis and Skiba.

Then, and after knowing Mark has lied about not talking  to Tom, my speculation is that they have talked and have come to good terms, specially since Mark has been under some kind of depressive period which, maybe, has made him feel some empathy for Tom's problems. Who knows?

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Hm... not exactly my thoughts, but something in that way.

I was thinking about Tom being mentall ill this last years. That's only my speculation. So, maybe To mstarted to have some problems back in the day, which ended up ruining blink reunion (despite Nighborhoods and DED) and future plans. So it all broje down in a bad way with Mark continuing blink with Travis and Skiba.

Then, and after knowing Mark has lied about not talking  to Tom, my speculation is that they have talked and have come to good terms, specially since Mark has been under some kind of depressive period which, maybe, has made him feel some empathy for Tom's problems. Who knows?

Something happened in Sunset Valley Idaho or wherever they both were at the same time.

3 hours ago, Pussay Patrol said:

if we got one more able with tom even if it took 10 years it'd still be better than what's happening if he doesn't come back

The only reason there's still a band that Tom could theoretically go back to is because the rest were unwilling to bury it. Tom is a selfish douchebag who expects the band to hibernate for ten years years while he's on a quest to inflate his ego.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MSandt said:

The only reason there's still a band that Tom could theoretically go back to is because the rest were unwilling to bury it. Tom is a selfish douchebag who expects the band to hibernate for ten years years while he's on a quest to inflate his ego.

despite all that blink is still trash without him and at least half decent with him in