The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Wildfire is the shit.

It's weird to me that people don't complain about like Bottom of the Ocean, but cry about two of the raddest tracks.

I've grown tp enjpy Bottom of the Ocean. It has some really rad parts. Wildfire and Parking Lot just fucking suck. 

5 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

i simply don't feel like it has much in common, outside of principle players, it being "pop-punk", and recycling the same chords. overall it just really seems half-assed and middling in terms of being as evocative as their past. I think Feldmann's production just doesn't even touch Finn's and the quality of recording just isn't there. nothing really new to say, these songs are just not great and at best passable. 

They're alright enough for what they are and I understand the reasoning in taking a step back musically and trying to make a record with Matt that hearkened back to an era that people can identify with the most. However, I think a lot of the problem had to do with them just not being those songwriters anymore (never in Matt's case) and Feldmann has a uniquely Feldmann style that was more plasticky and cookie-cutter than previous Blink albums. I'm interested in hearing the new album and hope it branches off in a different direction than California. The newer songs are at least more developed and thought out than California's songs so it's a start but they're still in the same vein stylistically. I was really hoping they'd just sit down and demo, just the three of them and then bring those demos to the table and go from but that doesn't seem to be the case so I'm hesitant with the co-writers. Hopefully those co-writers will push Blinks sound further than the songs on California and Deluxe. We shall see.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ghent said:

This is sure to ruffle feathers, but with California, blink came closer to the blink I fell in love with than anything on Untitled or Neighborhoods besides Feeling This. I love those albums, but they were MAJOR departures from the blink I drove around in high school jamming out to (TOYPAJ).

I know what you mean in a way, Untitled/Neighborhoods/DED Blink was definitely off in a different sound compared to Buddha through TOYPAJ Blink, and I did have a little bit of a "click" back into that pure sugar rush mode when I heard Bored To Death the first few times. So it was fun to think they might settle back into just the low pressure fast fun music of their earlier days. So I hear you on that and I'm glad the rest of Cali was actually able to live up to that feeling for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Speedo said:

They're alright enough for what they are and I understand the reasoning in taking a step back musically and trying to make a record with Matt that hearkened back to an era that people can identify with the most. However, I think a lot of the problem had to do with them just not being those songwriters anymore (never in Matt's case) and Feldmann has a uniquely Feldmann style that was more plasticky and cookie-cutter than previous Blink albums. I'm interested in hearing the new album and hope it branches off in a different direction than California. The newer songs are at least more developed and thought out than California's songs so it's a start but they're still in the same vein stylistically. I was really hoping they'd just sit down and demo, just the three of them and then bring those demos to the table and go from but that doesn't seem to be the case so I'm hesitant with the co-writers. Hopefully those co-writers will push Blinks sound further than the songs on California and Deluxe. We shall see.

Perfectly said!

I actually listened to California quite a bit when it came out just because it was new blink. It was enjoyable at first with some bad songs mixed in, but now I can't even bother to listen to it. I listened to a few songs from the Deluxe but outside of Hey I'm Sorry, I never put it on now. 

I'm aware that I'm not the demographic now, that's not what I'm upset about. It annoys me how I, and I feel like most of us, fell in love with Blink at an early age because they wrote good, unique songs, were basically the leaders of a genre, had great friendship, were a real band that wrote their own songs, and had a great hillarious live show. 

None of that can be said now. They have people help them write songs, which sound like generic pop punk that could be written by any band, I wouldnt say they ooze friendship like they used to, their live show is as stale as ever and there's none of the funnyness outside of a few joke songs. Yet there's people that are like "yep, same old blink that I grew up with and love", when it couldn't be further than the band we loved. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Speedo said:

That whole BFFs thing was mostly marketing.

BS and you know it. part of the appeal was that mark and tom had a real friendship. they toured in vans, then the world together. they were on the same page musically and comedically. i'd honestly say they basically were in love with each other, platonically. no surprise mark was and is still so hurt over the (band) break-up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boxelder said:

BS and you know it. part of the appeal was that mark and tom had a real friendship. they toured in vans, then the world together. they were on the same page musically and comedically. i'd honestly say they basically were in love with each other, platonically. no surprise mark was and is still so hurt over the (band) break-up.

I never said they weren't friends, I just said it was marketed.

11 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Parking Lot is truly their worst song.  It's the epitome of all California's cringe wrapped up into one.  (Cheap lyrics, 40 yr old's teenage angst, whoas/nanas, guitar slides, Matt yelling, Mark sesame street lines, thick plastic production, Goldfinger song, written by various)

Misery Blame It or Wildfire are next but have like small parts that are decent to them (intro then WF prechorus)

If Parking Lot had different lyrics would more people like it? I think Wildfire is one of the worst songs in pop punk history. There's not one catchy or good sounding part about it. Parking lot is fast and fun at least

Edited by Feeling_This_1

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

That whole BFFs thing was mostly marketing.

I think it was definitely true up at the beginning. But once enema happened and they reached new levels of fame etc it wasn’t the same level of friendship but was used as marketing tactic.

Obviously they were still great friends and got along amazing but it was definitely exaggerated to promote an image by that stage and even more obviously so later on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I think it was definitely true up at the beginning. But once enema happened and they reached new levels of fame etc it wasn’t the same level of friendship but was used as marketing tactic.

Obviously they were still great friends and got along amazing but it was definitely exaggerated to promote an image by that stage and even more obviously so later on.

Thank you for making my point a little more clear than I managed to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knapton said:

I actually listened to California quite a bit when it came out just because it was new blink. It was enjoyable at first with some bad songs mixed in, but now I can't even bother to listen to it. I listened to a few songs from the Deluxe but outside of Hey I'm Sorry, I never put it on now. 

I'm aware that I'm not the demographic now, that's not what I'm upset about. It annoys me how I, and I feel like most of us, fell in love with Blink at an early age because they wrote good, unique songs, were basically the leaders of a genre, had great friendship, were a real band that wrote their own songs, and had a great hillarious live show. 

None of that can be said now. They have people help them write songs, which sound like generic pop punk that could be written by any band, I wouldnt say they ooze friendship like they used to, their live show is as stale as ever and there's none of the funnyness outside of a few joke songs. Yet there's people that are like "yep, same old blink that I grew up with and love", when it couldn't be further than the band we loved. 

I rarely agree with you knappers but this is bang on. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ghent said:

This is sure to ruffle feathers, but with California, blink came closer to the blink I fell in love with than anything on Untitled or Neighborhoods besides Feeling This. I love those albums, but they were MAJOR departures from the blink I drove around in high school jamming out to (TOYPAJ).

God forbid that bands evolve. Or their fans.

• Haha 1

I never gave it a chance until now because I thought I grew out of AVA (even though I liked The Dreamwalker) but the Chasing Shadows EP is amazing. They got rid of that overdramatic sound, these 4 songs are so fresh and so good. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I never gave it a chance until now because I thought I grew out of AVA (even though I liked The Dreamwalker) but the Chasing Shadows EP is amazing. They got rid of that overdramatic sound, these 4 songs are so fresh and so good. 

did you try Of Nightmares? really good elements in there too. 

3 hours ago, Ixidor said:

God forbid that bands evolve. Or their fans.

The band has evolved, and will continue to. There's nothing wrong with throwing it back for an album.

Only reason people cry on here is because they are tombots. If Tom was in the band and California came out it would probably be a jizz factory in here

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Yeah, it's just some of the lyrics that aren't great on that EP that's all, but as a whole the songs do kick ass. I love that Tom brought back those punk rock sounding guitars. He never strayed too far ahead like he did with the early AVA songs. The songs weren't too pretentious. They're just straight up rock songs that aren't layered with synths and delay effects. Yeah, all the songs do have all that but they're nowhere near as frequent as early AVA. The songs suit blink so much. They sound like blink. It's how I wanted blink to sound. Mercenaries from TDW is pretty fucking good too. Love it when Tom writes guitar oriented songs but keeps the synths/electronic stuff to a minimum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The band has evolved, and will continue to. There's nothing wrong with throwing it back for an album.

Only reason people cry on here is because they are tombots. If Tom was in the band and California came out it would probably be a jizz factory in here

Yeah, there would've been no Feldman and woahs, nananas and gang vocals. That's why a lot of blink fans would've liked it if Tom was involved with California. There would've been cool riffs too. The songs would be entirely different and there would've been no Parking Lots & Wildfires. And it would've been an experimental record and continued from where Neighborhoods/DED left off. Would've been a good record.

Not to say California isn't a good record with Feldman & Skiba. It's a decent one. Just with Tom, it would've been way better IMO.

• Like 2