The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah Tom, you’re not a punk rocker anymore. Nice try though

There is nothing even remotely punk rock about the latest AVA songs in sound or spirit 

Only one of the best punk rock guitar riffs since 2003, Feeling This.  

Thanks again Tom.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ghent said:

There is nothing even remotely punk rock about the latest AVA songs in sound or spirit 

He’s way more of punk rocker than mark Matt and the songwriting squad. They struggle, really struggle.

• Like 1

Love how Tom sticks to his guns with AVA and doesn’t give a shit what anyone thinks even when a lot stuff he writes sucks.

Mark on the other hand is trying to stay popular and digging himself deeper into depression by worrying about comments on Instagram and Twitter. It sucks he’s depressed but he ultimately can ignore all the hate. 

17 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Producers often get songwriting credits, didn't Jerry Finn? don't have an issue with that assuming Aaron Rubin is the Producer? Ilan is in the band so not sure what your beef is there either?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't quite a few songs we've already heard off the new album have an additional 2-4 songwriters? 

Generational Divide has Hoppus, Skiba, Barker, Feldmann, Berger, McMahon and Rabin as songwriters, that's the band, a producer and 3 other people to write 49 seconds of music...if you can't tell the difference between the two then God help you. 

I don't think new AVA is particularly good by the way before you throw out the labored old Tombot argument. 

my guess of what happened w the generational divide credits is the original 4min version mark has mentioned probably had those multiple writers involved.  when they decided to thin the song down they probably still credited everyone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

blink jab?

I wouldn't see it as a dig at blink per say (he's done those before and it's more blatant) I actually think it's more self deprecating against his older self, we just associate it with blink. 

6 hours ago, Ghent said:

You're just as bad as all the people who hate on blink constantly.

You criticise people for not liking new blink and their constant hating on it while doing the exact same about Tom and AVA.

Practice what you preach and stop posting about him maybe?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

You're just as bad as all the people who hate on blink constantly.

You criticise people for not liking new blink and their constant hating on it while doing the exact same about Tom and AVA.

Practice what you preach and stop posting about him maybe?

haha AVA is a joke dude, sorry your hero isn't a #punker anymore

25 minutes ago, Ghent said:

blink is a legendary band still releasing awesome tunes into their 40s.

AVA is.....uhhhh....really bad and embarrassing. Had some good songs like 15 years ago though?

Blink are a legendary band whose standards and music quality have dropped massively in the past decade or so.

AVA were never that big or influential and as a whole have always churned out pretty average music.

Blink are falling from a much greater height than AVA they're falling FAST.

I can see this album being the end of them to be honest - will be left with no other choice to beg for Tom to come back so they can do another reunion tour, sure Mark will be happy to do that though, can just forget all the California era songs and they just revert back to the same setlist they played back in 2009. 

even if i think most of tom's decisions are stupid and embarrassing, i really do respect the shit out of him for doing what he wants while knowing damn well most people won't like it. everything he does can bankrupt him or destroy his career but he tries it anyway. 

it also helps that the music he's put out with illan is way better than it should be considering how far the rest of the musicians of his era have fallen

11 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

even if i think most of tom's decisions are stupid and embarrassing, i really do respect the shit out of him for doing what he wants while knowing damn well most people won't like it. everything he does can bankrupt him or destroy his career but he tries it anyway.

Why would you respect someone for behaving recklessly at the expense of his fans (he has a fake company set up for fake investing into fake things to fund his failing endeavors).

There is nothing respectable about what he's doing

On 9/2/2019 at 6:00 AM, ...Dan... said:

Producers often get songwriting credits, didn't Jerry Finn?

Nope, no outsiders other than guest artists had ever gotten writing credits in Blink songs before California.

22 hours ago, thongrider said:

I don't think guitar riffs really count as a composition. Often the guitarist in a band makes the riff, but won't get credits. Also if you play the same riff as someone else's song I dont think they can sue you for it. 

From the little bit I've read in the past, a guitar riff that is distinct and melodically crucial to the song or structure counts as songwriting, but something like playing the backing rhythm track doesn't. This article is really interesting and helpful whenever these discussions come up haha: https://lawyerdrummer.com/2017/03/what-constitutes-songwriting/

"We generally think of a songwriter with their guitar writing the songs and strumming chords, and the melody coming from a combination of those chords and the vocal. But a signature guitar riff (like Keith’s famous lick in “Satisfaction” or the riff in “Smoke on the Water”) might count as songwriting. Or the bass line on Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust”, or drum intro on their classic “We Will Rock You”. It’s hard to imagine these songs with any other bass line or drum beat, and they form as much of the structure and in fact melody of the songs as the guitar and vocals. A great example is the Procol Harum case, wherein organist Matthew Fisher sued the band for past royalties due from their massive 1967 hit “A Whiter Shade of Pale”, on which he played the main organ theme. Mr. Fisher was never given songwriting on the song, and felt that his organ riff was a critical part of the song’s structure and melody."

• Like 1