The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

6 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Pretty wild that Tom said that the first one they filmed (which came out in July 2016) was the first time he had jammed with an electric guitar for a couple of years at that point. (So we're going back to ~2014....essentially no guitar from 2014/2015 which you can see what that did to blink)

Also a neat jam in there around ~9:16 I didn't recognize, new?

Just watched it and it felt like he was saying this interview was the first time he'd played in years. Could be wrong though. Was a fun video. 

16 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Pretty wild that Tom said that the first one they filmed (which came out in July 2016) was the first time he had jammed with an electric guitar for a couple of years at that point. (So we're going back to ~2014....essentially no guitar from 2014/2015 which you can see what that did to blink)

Thats not technically what he said, it was the first time he'd jammed on electric in a "amps on" environment, he'd been playing guitar in the studio through virtual amps and speakers, not through like an actual live space with the volume up.

and he's right - I do a lot of writing for my band at home through virtual amps and head phones and then we get into a rehearsal room and do it full and it makes such a difference to like the decisions you make in a song, how you play it, how it feels etc. if I had his sort of money and resources though I never would do the virtual amp method of writing I just do that because I have neighbours lol. 

Speaking of Toms crazy alien craze, I had a super weird conversation with my Dad the other day. My dad has absolutely zero interest in blink and was always dismayed at me being a fan growing up, he taught me to play guitar and I used it to play blink and stuff and he absolutely hated it haha but my dad is also a super conspiracy nutcase sometimes. he says some ridiculously stupid stuff occasionally. 

Well he'd been watching Toms show on the history channel, and was like "DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?" and I was like "Yeah Dad I told you Tom Delonge has been doing crazy alien shit for years" and he was like "But he's working with the government! this looks like some serious shit" and I'm like "eeeeeeh" and he's going on about how awesome the stuff Tom's doing is and I'm sort've just like... this is the weirdest conversation in the world. He's known of Tom for years, I didn't shut up about him growing up, he's had posters of that knob around his house for years and suddenly he's like "hey that Tom Delonge guy is pretty cool" and I'm like 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This is a great interview with Aaron Rubin that gives some neat insight into Tom's studio/thought process, if you're bored. It is also available via podcast:

Couple interesting things were that Tom mostly writes when at the studio, he said he may come in with a riff but never a full song ready. (Ilan is the opposite) You could see how that could cause problems if blink couldn't get Tom to a studio... It was also interesting to me, that if Ilan writes a chorus or melody, Tom has a hard time putting words to it. So they let him sorta start it, and build from there. Some cool insight in here in regards to the songwriting process with Ilan/Tom/Aaron and how they have to communicate. He said Tom will change a song 600 times lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

They could either limit it to X amount (say /250 signed copies), or like most TTS stuff = just offer a signed version for ~$25-$30 markup. If none sell at that price, whatever, but a bunch will sell for what is essentially "free" extra money.

Case and point, I would've gladly paid $40 for a signed version of this, instead they'll get my $8. They almost always offer a signed version, so I was actually a bit surprised.

This! Just limit it to x copies. Collectors are happy and it’s easy money.  

On 10/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, Ry-Bread said:

Also a neat jam in there around ~9:16 I didn't recognize, new?

To be totally honest, for someone like Tom $7500 is maybe not worth a couple hours of his time.

41 minutes ago, NotNow said:

To be totally honest, for someone like Tom $7500 is maybe not worth a couple hours of his time.

Ehhh, I think it def would be, but at minimum it would be worth the profit/revenue for TTS to report. Would take 45 minutes at most.