The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

12 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Maybe I'm just a dumb hick from KANSAS but I don't think Oliver is super wrong here. 

He words it like an asshole but my aunt has never taken my uncle's last name and I've always thought it was odd. 

I can't imagine your boy Jordan Peterson would approve a woman not taking her husband's last name.

22 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Maybe I'm just a dumb hick from KANSAS but I don't think Oliver is super wrong here. 

He words it like an asshole but my aunt has never taken my uncle's last name and I've always thought it was odd. 

To each their own I guess.

Having the same name is the ideal thing in a marriage. I believe so too. But not taking the name of your partner has nothing to do with commitment. E.g. having kids together is a far bigger commitment than changing your name. 

The only reason I want the same surname as my partner is so our future child has a better sense of unity and family, as I've heard different names in households can add to that sortve disjointed identity issues in more split families. 

Apart from that it means fuck all and the paperwork involved is annoying, there's no solid reason for it nowadays, it isn't some magic spell that gives your relationship more weight its just a mild inconvenience for no real tangible benefit except maybe some ego stroking on behalf of the "take my name" group. 

• Like 4

It would probably bother me if my new wife kept her ex’s last name, but if kids were involved I’d likely understand. (And I’ve learned that in second marriages, both sides tend to drop the pettiness/jealousy acts)

If she wasn’t married before and wanted to keep her family name, somewhat odd if she’s not famous or a public figure but whatevs or let’s hyphenate.

2 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

If she wasn’t married before and wanted to keep her family name, somewhat odd if she’s not famous or a public figure but whatevs or let’s hyphenate.

Would you take the name of your wife?

I have to admit I wouldn’t. I told my wife that I would find it great if she takes my name but I couldn’t expect it from her because I wouldn’t do the same. 
She didn’t have a problem with it which is awesome and so she, our son and I share the same name. 

7 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Would you take the name of your wife?

I’ve never really thought about it, but probably not. Even though the whole thing is pretty silly when you think about it I guess. None of us are here very long, which word shouldn’t matter too much.

I’m also the only male in my immediate family and was tasked with passing on the family name, which would need to be taken into account in my scenario lol. Would likely go for the hyphen if it was a dealbreaker.

Some people just like their name or are comfortable with it. Some people changed their name once, realized it was a hassle and a confusing adjustment, and decide not to do it again the second time they marry.

idk. Personally I'm in the "I just like my name" camp and I'd like to keep it. Wouldn't fault someone else for doing the same thing.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 3:50 PM, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

In a relationship, you are either 100% in, or you are out.

Not changing a name shows lack of commitment. No thanks. I'll pass. Check please. 

I feel bad for people who will settle into relationships where a partner is not 100% committed. Not even committed enough to be united in name. Fuck that. It's not "narrow minded" its just basic standards.

Dude, your old age surely is showing now. You sound like a grandpa who can't accept that the world has moved on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're always making a big deal out of nothing. You should see it just as a cultural issue. Italy is always so far behind but one spectacularly great thing about it is that maiden names don't exist. Your last name identifies your family of origin and often times even geographically where you are from. In a highly regional country like this, those things matter and cannot be changed because of marriage. But nobody thinks the marriage is lacking something.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I don't always pay for dates with my lady. Do you? That's sad.

It really depends, but  some  women expect the guy to pay all the time. With some willing to pay  occasionally. Like maybe the guy pays for 5 dinners and she pays for 1. Or they go on the trip and the guy gets Food, gas, tolls,  hotel, admission tickets,.....and she pays for parking.

Keep in mind many of these same women want equality . LOL. Got to love it!

• Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

So in summary people here fought tooth and nail that I was messed up for wanting to share the same last name as my SO.

Then after much discussion, they agreed with me.

This is the kind of shit that just proves, people love to disagree with me for the sake of argument.

You attack everything like a giant asshole

And no, wtf are you talking about? Nobody agreed with your ridiculous premise that not taking a last name demonstrates a lack of commitment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NeverOliver said:

You attack everything like a giant asshole

And no, wtf are you talking about? Nobody agreed with your ridiculous premise that not taking a last name demonstrates a lack of commitment.

Welp, its a deal breaker for me!

Ironically enough, the ver very last thing my Ex and I talked about prior to her dropping the breakup hammer was the name thing and she said "I am not sure I'd change my last night" to which I replied "I am not okay if you didnt". Literally the next words out of her mouth were "I think we should breakup". I don't think that was the straw that broke any camels back, because she paid for my BF that morning, which she never does, so she knew going into our BF she was going to breakup with me. But she thought that was a good time. How ironic it all is.

9 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Welp, its a deal breaker for me!

Ironically enough, the ver very last thing my Ex and I talked about prior to her dropping the breakup hammer was the name thing and she said "I am not sure I'd change my last night" to which I replied "I am not okay if you didnt". Literally the next words out of her mouth were "I think we should breakup". I don't think that was the straw that broke any camels back, because she paid for my BF that morning, which she never does, so she knew going into our BF she was going to breakup with me. But she thought that was a good time. How ironic it all is.

You know who would be sure to change their last name and never even NEED to get breakfast?

75722-inflatable-perfect-woman-web1.jpg

• Haha 1