The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 minutes ago, thongrider said:

What does this mean? 

I think he gets a lump sum payout and no longer will receive royalties over the long term...similar to when Michael Jackson bought Paul McCartney’s rights to Beatles songs. I think that’s the gist of it. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I’m wrong 

• Like 2

OMG. That's the exact opposite of what any artist would want, especially if when they were young they signed some shitty contract handling their catalogue to someone else. Even Taylor Swift is fighting at the moment to own her catalogue back and Tom just gives it away? Shit. How can this be good in the long run?

• Like 3

lol

Tom DeLonge said: “It is an honor to have been playing music for so many years and to be in a position to partner with the great team at Hipgnosis to support my work.

“This is now a perfect opportunity for me to not only celebrate my past, but to also give me the foundation to create more music for many decades to come.”Music Business Worldwide

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elisa said:

OMG. That's the exact opposite of what any artist would want, especially if when they were young they signed some shitty contract handling their catalogue to someone else. Even Taylor Swift is fighting at the moment to own her catalogue back and Tom just gives it away? Shit. How can this be good in the long run?

No, blink played the major labels the right way, hence Tom having ownership of these songs to even sell in the first place. He sold the rights for what I’m assuming is a multi-million dollar lump sum 

4 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

No, blink played the major labels the right way, hence Tom having ownership of these songs to even sell in the first place. He sold the rights for what I’m assuming is a multi-million dollar lump sum 

I just meant that it's not something any artists would do. He'll get a lot of money now, yes, but it's never a great thing in the long run. He's just giving away the rights to his own music while we all know of so many artists who never owned their music and they're actively fighting for it. If anything, it shows how little he cares about it. Or that he's just desperate now.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Obviously needed the lump sum pretty bad. He  gave up making any future money off Blink songs for the rest of his life. Its really sad.

But questions linger. Can Tom still perform the songs? Can the owner use the material without consulting Mark and Travis?

I'm guessing they will simply get Tom's 1/3 cut of all future royalties, but won't really have a say in anything because 2/3 of the catalog is owned by others?

You're right, it's really sad and pathetic that he is doing this.

11 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Obviously needed the lump sum pretty bad. He  gave up making any future money off Blink songs for the rest of his life. Its really sad.

But questions linger. Can Tom still perform the songs? Can the owner use the material without consulting Mark and Travis?

I hope we find out more soon!

Yeah I would love to see the documents, but no doubt Mark/Trav still have their share. It seems like Tom essentially just took a lump sum for his past blink material in regards to future streaming/sales $. We all know most bands make their money touring/merch at this point, so it may not be that big of a deal. (Other than just not owning your own music) I assume live performance rights are different and I would be shocked if he gave up that cut, or his role in blink the "company". I'm also not sure if the divorce complicates these type of things and made it easier to just get paid, divide and be done with it.

Regardless, does seem to put a bit of a stamp on the fact that Tom's done with blink and has been for awhile. (Even though I assume anything he creates moving forward he would still have rights to, even if it was in blink?) I also am really beginning to believe my theory that Mark/Tom have sekret ski resort meetings on "blink the business" every Christmas lmao!

• Like 3

Wow this article says it includes the AVA albums through Dream Walker...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8547455/hipgnosis-tom-delonge-acquisition-blink-182-angels-airwaves

From July 2018-September 2019 they spent $420 million on 27 catalogs...so that's roughly $15.5 million per catalog.

From October through December of 2019 (which is when I assume this deal would've finalized?), they spent an additional $244 million on 15 catalogs, averaging $16.3 million per catalog. 

So all in all, average of 15 million per catalog,  ~$59,153 per song. 

This sounds like he got a publishing deal that also acquired his back catalog. This isn’t really a bad thing. Sounds like who ever was his publisher before no longer had the rights to the songs he had written. I’m assuming whatever publishing deal he had was exclusive to Blink 182 as he doesn’t really co-write and it wouldn’t make sense to give him a publishing deal as a song writer. Depending on his deal a lot of them cover about 20 years so perhaps his previous one expired and I doubt his previous publisher was pushing his songs to continue to make money. Through sync placements ect. 

It looks like he signed publishing deal for future songs as well as his back catalogue knowing that no one was currently pushing his music for sync placement. This is actually a smart move, instead of having his previous music just sit, he’ll now have someone working the music to generate money. He would’ve got a lump sum of money for it in exchange for them to work it. 100% sounds like he didn’t want to deal with the potential of it not working out and not generating more sync income. So 100% is an easy way for him to quickly generate money. 

I really don’t think this is a bad move but fairly smart. 

The only downside would be that they end up landing a bunch of sync placements and exceed far past his payout in revenue.

• Like 2