The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, Adrianm14 said:

This sounds like he got a publishing deal that also acquired his back catalog. This isn’t really a bad thing. Sounds like who ever was his publisher before no longer had the rights to the songs he had written. I’m assuming whatever publishing deal he had was exclusive to Blink 182 as he doesn’t really co-write and it wouldn’t make sense to give him a publishing deal as a song writer. Depending on his deal a lot of them cover about 20 years so perhaps his previous one expired and I doubt his previous publisher was pushing his songs to continue to make money. Through sync placements ect. 

It looks like he signed publishing deal for future songs as well as his back catalogue knowing that no one was currently pushing his music for sync placement. This is actually a smart move, instead of having his previous music just sit, he’ll now have someone working the music to generate money. He would’ve got a lump sum of money for it in exchange for them to work it. 100% sounds like he didn’t want to deal with the potential of it not working out and not generating more sync income. So 100% is an easy way for him to quickly generate money. 

I really don’t think this is a bad move but fairly smart. 

The only downside would be that they end up landing a bunch of sync placements and exceed far past his payout in revenue.

He is liquidating a substantial amount of assets. It's just hard to imagine him doing that unless it was "necessary".

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NotNow said:

It says they also acquired music from Jack Antonoff at the same time, the biggest alternative pop star / producer in the genre today. I wouldn’t just attribute this to Tom needing money...

Yeah I don’t necessarily see this as a cash grab or sign of desperation at all. I’m sure there is good reasoning behind it.

Would love to know a ballpark range of much blink or similar artists actually bring home annually from past record sales/streaming. I bet it’s shockingly minuscule. 

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah I don’t necessarily see this as a cash grab or sign of desperation at all. I’m sure there is good reasoning behind it.

Would love to know a ballpark range of much blink or similar artists actually bring home annually from past record sales/streaming. I bet it’s shockingly minuscule. 

Yea but if it was so minuscule why would these companies bother shelling out big bucks to acquire them. I bet it’s more than you’re Thinking 

55 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Lol you’re really fucking dumb. That’s not how that works

You really think he would have done this a year ago? This company will be buying rights for a long time, there was no rush or deadline. Of all 3 blink members, it's Tom who does it. What a coincidence 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

You really think he would have done this a year ago? This company will be buying rights for a long time, there was no rush or deadline. Of all 3 blink members, it's Tom who does it. What a coincidence 🙄

1. Toms rights to blink are assets. Assets that were built during their marriage. In a marriage, you have rights to some percentage of your household net worth; your assets. Not cash. Him liquidating his assets after his divorce doesn’t mean his ex-wife is no longer entitled to those assets lol.

2. This company didn’t even exist a year ago so no the opportunity didn’t even exist when he was getting divorced.

From wikipedia

Hipgnosis Songs Fund is a British Guernsey-registered music IP investment and song management company. Founded on the premise that hit songs are long-term predictable assets unaffected by economic cycles, which will increase in value as the worldwide music streaming market continues to grow,[1] Hipgnosis Songs Fund acquires proven songs and songwriter catalogs and actively manages them to drive synchronization revenues.

• Like 1

It doesn't even state he completely sold the rights:

Tom DeLonge said: “It is an honor to have been playing music for so many years and to be in a position to partner with the great team at Hipgnosis to support my work."

It clearly states he's in a partnership with them. Seems like he'll still get royalties but not to the amount he was getting.

I see the tombot spin doctors are at work!

There is no partnership lol. Hipgnosis Songs Fund buys song royalties, gambling that they will get their investment back and more over the long run. That is all they do. Go to their website.

• Like 2