The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Ok so The Offspring sold their entire catalog for $35 million a few years ago, and they supposedly had an annual revenue of 3.1 million from streams/sales of those songs. Say the band actually ends up seeing 30% (likely less, due to so many middle men) So split that 4 ways evenly between the band that would be $232k per year each member makes from old songs through streaming/sales (before taxes). So in that scenario, you could see how it would be pretty tempting to take a 8.75 million payout for each member's cut, and still be able to make money from touring/merch (which is where they make their money anyway). It would take 37 years to recoup that same amount if you still want it coming annually at 232k/year. (They'll likely be dead then, I'd take the money.)

Also note that Sheryl Crow sold her catalog for 10 million back in 2009, but still gets a small % of stream/sales, it was just significantly lowered as part of the buyout. These contracts can have sooo many different factors in the negotiating process that we'll likely never know.

Regardless, based on some stream $ calculators and blink's streaming numbers, from Spotify/Apple Music it looks like they would be receiving ~6 million per year from streaming. And I'm not sure how much on record sales, but I'd bet not too much at this point. Again, a lot of middle men (even in the Cheshire days, Mark said they were getting a whopping $3 per cd that had to be split 3 ways), so say they actually see 2 million....and it's magically split 3 ways, that's 666k/year. That's not even beginning to account for Skiba/Raynor/Feldy/etc. After taxes and splits I wouldn't be surprised if it's 250-400kish per year. So say someone offered Tom 20 million cash for rights to that, it'd take ~60+ years to recoup that annually lol. I'd take the cash, and you can still make new music, and money from touring/merch, along with whatever agreements are still in place with blink the corporation.

• Like 2

Tombots like to look at Tom is a vacuum. Any one thing that he does isn't necessarily inductive of an issue. But when those things are combined together.....

Maybe selling your entire catalog might not necessarily be an issue, but selling your catalog with financials that show his companies are money losers, while dealing with a divorce, while trying to make a living stalking the white house, while disappearing after his disaster interview with Joe Rogan, while freaking out saying he is still in Blink, ......

Tombots can't ever look at the bigger picture, because it would prove that the guy is a fruit loop.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

If you made 250k a year from something you did 15-20 years ago and don't care about at this point, would you not be interested if someone said: "I'll give you 20 million today for it."

no. tom gave me the flu at one of his concerts in 2007 and everything he did since then is without an exception insane and desperate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

If you made 250k a year from something you did 15-20 years ago and don't care about at this point, would you not be interested if someone said: "I'll give you 20 million today for it."

Like Oliver said, the decision wouldn't be as notable if it wasn't for all the other red flags surrounding Tom that indicate major financial issues.

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Like Oliver said, the decision wouldn't be as notable if it wasn't for all the other red flags surrounding Tom that indicate major financial issues.

yeah he probably needs more money. and this is a great way to do it. i don't really see the problem?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Even if he puts 5 mill straight into TTSA to save/keep them going, I don't see the problem with it. He earned it and can spend it on stuff he cares about at this point. Now obviously if he blows it all on TTS and they go down, that won't be good, but surely he has decent financial advisers!

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

Even if he puts 5 mill straight into TTSA to save/keep them going, I don't see the problem with it. He earned it and can spend it on stuff he cares about at this point. Now obviously if he blows it all on TTS and they go down, that won't be good, but surely he has decent financial advisers!

are you sure about this...?  Seems to me going from an HQ housing multiple successful companies to an old machine shop converted to his office was a major step backwards....

31 minutes ago, Neal said:

no. tom gave me the flu at one of his concerts in 2007 and everything he did since then is without an exception insane and desperate.

LOL, I am pretty sure this happened to me too.I saw them in 2008 and he was sick clearly sick as hell. I was front row and at one point he was shaking people's hands and he shook mine. Day later, sick as hell.

1 minute ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

LOL, I am pretty sure this happened to me too.I saw them in 2008 and he was sick clearly sick as hell. I was front row and at one point he was shaking people's hands and he shook mine. Day later, sick as hell.

oh, i remembered the year wrong, i see

• Like 3

So say someone comes here and offers 100k to @Ghent and @Donald Trump's Bulge for rights to the Hall of Fame topics from 5-15 years ago, and you can keep on doing whatever you want here and it changes absolutely nothing about your everyday life. Y'all aren't listening? And it's fine to be judged if you use the extra cash to pay off a debt (smart), or put it towards something you are super passionate about? That's silly. Take the money and RUN!

• Like 1

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

So say someone comes here and offers 100k to @Ghent and @Donald Trump's Bulge for rights to the Hall of Fame topics from 5-15 years ago, and you can keep on doing whatever you want here and it changes absolutely nothing about your everyday life. Y'all aren't listening? And it's fine to be judged if you use the extra cash to pay off a debt (smart), or put it towards something you are super passionate about? That's silly. Take the money and RUN!

If I'm going broke, hell yeah I'm listening!

• Haha 1