The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

10 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

A lot of the songs they have the rights to, it's not the main artist's rights they own. Many appear to be a songwriter or producer that I've never heard of. The blink equivalent would probably be Jerry Finn.

cheshire till neighborhoods, has only listed the members for songwriting credits, so they get at least 70%

edit: except selftitled. thanks @thongrider for clearing that up

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Or he could have passed those song royalties on to his children and birdie for them to collect for the rest of their lives. Instead he cashed out and will blow it on some dumb idea.

he is in his 40s, might enjoy the fruit of his labour now. he still can transfer the payout he gets with this company to his kids etc... he earned that cash. so he is entitled to do with it whatever he pleases

again. i think tom was and is a scumbag in loads of situations. but this is not one of them. this is the best way to make sure he gets paid for his earlier work, and plenty of other artists do the same

• Like 1

Pretty selfish move if he's already set financially like the tombots tell me...

If this company thinks they will make considerably more than they paid out to Tom over the long term, then that is money that he could have passed on.

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Pretty selfish move if he's already set financially like the tombots tell me...

If this company thinks they will make considerably more than they paid out to Tom over the long term, then that is money that he could have passed on.

they will make more.... the day tom dies or anything tragic or exciting happens in blink world, they will generate a huge amount of radio airplay. Money tom woul'dnt see...it's a brilliant idea, really

selfish? maybe..... but we don't really know what his family gets these day anyway.... they sure live a upper class lifestyle and i'm pretty sure it's not because of Jens mad business skills

Someone like Tom should have enough money to not have to do this. This is completely different then even a successful modern producer working with Justin Bieber and Beyonce. They make way less than you think, so they can probably use a multi million dollar windfall. 

It's hilarious seeing some of these board members proved wrong once again. First the divorce they denied, now they are telling me that Tom isn't hurting financially, but he suddenly needs $15-30 million dollars within 2 years of starting failing companies and his wife leaving him. 

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Jen has been going on even more vacays with Tom's family since the divorce...She must have got a nice chunk of coin $$$

that's what i thought. his family is fine nqat. they might  even get some cash out of his great royalty deal

4 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Someone like Tom should have enough money to not have to do this. This is completely different then even a successful modern producer working with Justin Bieber and Beyonce. They make way less than you think, so they can probably use a multi million dollar windfall. 

It's hilarious seeing some of these board members proved wrong once again. First the divorce they denied, now they are telling me that Tom isn't hurting financially, but he suddenly needs $15-30 million dollars within 2 years of starting failing companies and his wife leaving him. 

you think timbaland or the chainsmokers are in need of money?

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

No, I'm not saying ALL $600 million went to people in desperate need of money.  We don't know the specifics of any of these deals or what their personal reasons are.

Tom clearly needs money though and my other point was producers/contributors make way less than people think. So a producer gets a few million up front and Hipgnosis owns part of a Bieber song. Win win

Im curious to see how this works out in a few years. Imagine if Hipgnosis is paying double in a few years. Tom could have lost out on millions

5 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

No, I'm not saying ALL $600 million went to people in desperate need of money.  We don't know the specifics of any of these deals or what their personal reasons are.

Tom clearly needs money though and my other point was producers/contributors make way less than people think. So a producer gets a few million up front and Hipgnosis owns part of a Bieber song. Win win

Im curious to see how this works out in a few years. Imagine if Hipgnosis is paying double in a few years. Tom could have lost out on millions

tom still gets his percentage.

you clearly dont understand how this works.

• Crab 1

40 minutes ago, Neal said:

They may have never owned their music in the first place though. Pretty common for artists to sign away rights early on. Could have been a label that sold.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Neal said:

tom still gets his percentage.

you clearly dont understand how this works.

Stop playing the argue with feeling this game. Tom needs money. That's the point we're all making, don't need to argue over small terms of a financial agreement. Who cares about Tom's percentage. He gets a lump sum now that can cost him in the future. If it's such a genius deal then why didnt Mark and Travis and every artist, songwriter, and producer on Earth do it?

• Like 1

Everyone thinking that this is just burning assets has no proper grasp on how the music industry works.

This is money to be made and it is still a partnership even if they have 100% rights to his songs.

There's also a probably a clause on how much money they can make before they have to renegotiate.

(Example: The company earns 2 Million of the songs at 100% return rate for them and Tom recieves 1 Million in advance , a new set of money will need to be negotiated after they break 2 million.)

I'm only speaking from experience here as the band I play in has it's own publishing deal. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ghent said:

They may have never owned their music in the first place though. Pretty common for artists to sign away rights early on. Could have been a label that sold.

Labels own master rights,

Not song writing rights.

Master being the recording of the song and writing royalties being the idea of the song. Two separate revenue streams usually dealt by two different companies. (A Label for master rights and publisher for song rights.) 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's pretty much a guarantee a new artist will not own their music when they first sign. I can't think of a single up and coming band that ever has signed their first big label deal and retained their rights, from what I understand (a very limited understanding at that) is that its a make or break decision. You either sign away your ownership or or you don't sign anything at all. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It's pretty much a guarantee a new artist will not own their music when they first sign. I can't think of a single up and coming band that ever has signed their first big label deal and retained their rights, from what I understand (a very limited understanding at that) is that its a make or break decision. You either sign away your ownership or or you don't sign anything at all. 

For sure. That’s why I said blink played the major labels the right way . Didn’t sign a deal with the Devil so to speak 

• Like 1