The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Can they license out songs without the other two member’s permission? I doubt it.

I smell a tombot

what would be the point in owning 1/3 of something if you can't do anything with it? if that's how this works, then tom for sure made the right call because the other 2/3 would block him from making any decisions. 

They don’t have to “do anything with it.” They collect royalties now until they sell it. In 2032, when ATST is played on a classic rock station, this random company will get the cut instead of Tom. They are banking on making significantly more than their lump sum paid to Tom over the long haul with this 1/3 cut.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ghent said:

They don’t have to “do anything with it.” They collect royalties now until they sell it. In 2032, when ATST is played on a classic rock station, this random company will get the cut instead of Tom. They are banking on making significantly more than their lump sum paid to Tom over the long haul with this 1/3 cut.

a quick google search tells me that in the grand scheme of a successful music career, you barely make shit off of radio play and that it's mostly a promotion tool to hopefully sell the music. ATST and I Miss You would have to be played as often as AC/DC songs every single day in order for them to make significant money off it. 

i know it's hard for you to believe, but blink probably isn't sitting back and collecting royalties in the sum of millions in 2020 like artists from the 1970s are. those artists' songs are played everywhere numerous times per day and they constantly shit out reissues of their old albums. since david bowie's catalogue was acquired, there has been a new release every few months.

blink just isn't on that level anymore. they make their money from touring. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

a quick google search tells me that in the grand scheme of a successful music career, you barely make shit off of radio play and that it's mostly a promotion tool to hopefully sell the music. ATST and I Miss You would have to be played as often as AC/DC songs every single day in order for them to make significant money off it. 

i know it's hard for you to believe, but blink probably isn't sitting back and collecting royalties in the sum of millions in 2020 like artists from the 1970s are. those artists' songs are played everywhere numerous times per day and they constantly shit out reissues of their old albums. since david bowie's catalogue was acquired, there has been a new release every few months.

blink just isn't on that level anymore. they make their money from touring. 

radio airplay makes you a huge amount of money.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Oh, man, again this, since 2006:

An Angels & Airwaves movie that will accompany the new album went into production this past July. How’s the progress going there?
“Oh, super good! To The Stars has many big projects, one of which being the film that is accompanying this album. All of that will come out together as we tour the record next year. You’ll start to see all the pieces of all the media that I’ve been doing come out with the show, and it’ll be a multimedia experience. That’s always been the dream for the band, but we just haven’t had the chance to do that yet.”

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2020 at 5:50 AM, wannabe corn dog said:

what would be the point in owning 1/3 of something if you can't do anything with it? if that's how this works, then tom for sure made the right call because the other 2/3 would block him from making any decisions. 

Wiki says that the company is "founded on the premise that hit songs are long-term predictable assets unaffected by economic cycles, which will increase in value as the worldwide music streaming market continues to grow".

I think this concept makes a lot of sense. ATST is more than 20 years old and has been streamed close to 400 million times on Spotify alone. No matter what, old fans will continue to listen to Blinks back catalogue, and new people will discover them (because their hits will continue to pop up in "best of 90s/2000s" playlists), some of them might even check out AVA while they're at it.

So the company will eventually make their money back, the only question is how many years of streaming it will take...

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Yeah between "best record I've ever made" and "yeah we're gonna release a film too" I'm not particularly hopeful we'll ever get the record haha

Yup just more countless delays like usual. The Documentary will be out dated and it won't see the light of day.....Hmm sounds familiar. 

• Like 1