The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I honestly don’t know if Kiss & Tell can be topped. I think now that some time has passed I’d go so far as to say it’s one of the best AVA songs of all time.

I agree! That's a good call, bud!

• Like 2

Ilan did an IG Live and said he has no clue on whether AVA tour was still on, or album ETA. He also said it does get frustrating working with Tom and is ALWAYS a struggle in the studio lol. (I also didn’t realize he tracked all instruments for TDW.)

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ilan did an IG Live and said he has no clue on whether AVA tour was still on, or album ETA. He also said it does get frustrating working with Tom and is ALWAYS a struggle in the studio lol. (I also didn’t realize he tracked all instruments for TDW.)

I wondered if he had just based on that mini doc of them working together. Plus the styles a bit different then Tom. 

I just watched the Ilan q and a and it confuses me how he could be that out of the loop. He says he has straight up no idea what’s going on with the angels and airwaves album and that it’s frustrating to work with Tom and he has no idea what he’s up to right now.

Tom is posting recording the album in the studio on Instagram multiple times a week for the last couple months with his own brother and youre the only other member besides Tom in the band. How do you have no idea what’s going on with the album? Even if Tom’s taking the lead and doing this album by himself for the most part, he’s still recording everyday with Ilan’s brother so how do you still have no idea what’s going on?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah its why that albums so good lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotNow said:

I just watched the Ilan q and a and it confuses me how he could be that out of the loop. He says he has straight up no idea what’s going on with the angels and airwaves album and that it’s frustrating to work with Tom and he has no idea what he’s up to right now.

Yeah I think he was being 100% honest too, to me it just seemed to reiterate what we all know which is that Tom is being very sporadic and working when he wants on it.

Ilan’s obviously been busy with TNR, so he probably is just steering clear until Tom is “done” with a song, and then comes in and picks it apart. But yeah, the vibe of the AVA questions was just kinda like “Ask Tom, no clue.” 

8 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah I think he was being 100% honest too, to me it just seemed to reiterate what we all know which is that Tom is being very sporadic and working when he wants on it.

Ilan’s obviously been busy with TNR, so he probably is just steering clear until Tom is “done” with a song, and then comes in and picks it apart. But yeah, the vibe of the AVA questions was just kinda like “Ask Tom, no clue.” 

But does Ilan not talk to his brother? Aaron is there everyday, I would imagine at least his brother is filling him in. But who knows maybe not.

4 minutes ago, NotNow said:

But does Ilan not talk to his brother? Aaron is there everyday, I would imagine at least his brother is filling him in. But who knows maybe not.

Yeah idk man...he's been out on the road, not sure how often they talk. But given Tom's sporadic interest in music, and only making ~20 AVA songs in the past 8 years, I doubt he's inquiring daily for updates and more like "Let me know when Tom needs me." I was surprised at how offput/frustrated he seemed, but it's not surprising at all. (And always makes me think of what Mark/Trav had to deal with for so many years.)

• Like 1

I think a brief timeline on why Tom is the way that he is, is something like:

-Young Tom is just happy-go-lucky, party hard, immature musician who knows how to write good hooks with easy, yet catchy guitar riffs.

-Tom eventually began to resent the band's immature image and wanted to be treated seriously. I think this began around the time of BCR/Self-titled/endorsing John Kerry/AvA making the best album in 20 years/etc. He had an irrational chip on his shoulder to prove to people he was smart/edgy/artistic and wanted to be treated seriously, but he overcompensated for it and his ego fucked things up with Blink/AvA. 

-Tom realized the immature image is part of the band's schtick and embraced it again in the Reunion/Neighborhoods era. 

-Tom has fluctuated between immature/mature whenever it benefits him. The TTS debacle proved that, while he wanted to be treated seriously and do big things, he doesn't have the critical thinking or business acumen to succeed when he tries to run a company. He was taken advantage of and lost a bunch of money; he believed the dumbest/most fake UFO videos as being real. But he can also be likeable and funny/immature in his social media posts, interviews, etc. 

Then throw in alcoholism, drug abuse, and potential mental illness, and you can see why things have gone the way they have.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, Tom Bot said:

I think a brief timeline on why Tom is the way that he is, is something like:

-Young Tom is just happy-go-lucky, party hard, immature musician who knows how to write good hooks with easy, yet catchy guitar riffs.

-Tom eventually began to resent the band's immature image and wanted to be treated seriously. I think this began around the time of BCR/Self-titled/endorsing John Kerry/AvA making the best album in 20 years/etc. He had an irrational chip on his shoulder to prove to people he was smart/edgy/artistic and wanted to be treated seriously, but he overcompensated for it and his ego fucked things up with Blink/AvA. 

-Tom realized the immature image is part of the band's schtick and embraced it again in the Reunion/Neighborhoods era. 

-Tom has fluctuated between immature/mature whenever it benefits him. The TTS debacle proved that, while he wanted to be treated seriously and do big things, he doesn't have the critical thinking or business acumen to succeed when he tries to run a company. He was taken advantage of and lost a bunch of money; he believed the dumbest/most fake UFO videos as being real. But he can also be likeable and funny/immature in his social media posts, interviews, etc. 

Then throw in alcoholism, drug abuse, and potential mental illness, and you can see why things have gone the way they have.

So you’re just throwing out there that he has a mental illness? Are you a doctor, and have you talked with him?

It's completely reasonable to speculate that Tom has a mental illness of some kind. Straight-up trying to diagnose him or suggesting treatment for him would be too far, but 90% what we do here is speculate about shit, so I'm not sure why mental illness should be off the table.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

8 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's completely reasonable to speculate that Tom has a mental illness of some kind. Straight-up trying to diagnose him or suggesting treatment for him would be too far, but 90% what we do here is speculate about shit, so I'm not sure why mental illness should be off the table.

That’s just ridiculous. Once again, seems like you have no idea what you’re talking about. How would you like strangers searching up things about you on the internet and posting that you have a mental illness?

what type of mental illness do you guys even think he has? He is unique and a go getter, I see no reason to believe he has any mental illness. So stupid 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

That’s just ridiculous. Once again, seems like you have no idea what you’re talking about. How would you like strangers searching up things about you on the internet and posting that you have a mental illness?

what type of mental illness do you guys even think he has? He is unique and a go getter, I see no reason to believe he has any mental illness. So stupid 

Have you never been on this forum before? All we do is talk shit about their lives based on absolutely nothing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Crab 1

29 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Again, why is mental illness special? We've speculated about their marriages/other relationships, friendships, motivations for doing various things, their physical health and just about everything else.

Seems like this is just a touchy subject for you and not based on any kind of logic.

Also, if speculating about mental illness is so abhorrent, why are you encouraging it by asking what type of illness we think he has and also sharing your own thoughts on his mental health?