The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

39 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

To say Travis has no passion is beyond ridiculous tho, he is ALL passion.

I was simply mentioning the fact that Scott was mediocre, and blew his chance with blink.

re: travis **YAWN**

re scott: i'm surprised he didn't get back on the horse straight away.  join an epifat band in 98. lord knows there were scores of them back then. tour at the level he wanted to.

I think it comes down to what you look for in a drummer. Personally, as great of a drummer Travis is, I prefer Scott's style most of the time but that's 'cause I prefer a more straightforward drumming style. Travis fucking kills it when he does it on songs (like Ransom or GD) but he also tends to get too technical for my tastes a lot of time. I like a good mild to medium Travis Barker ... he definitely has passion and he definitely is an amazing drummer but he also definitely goes overboard a lot. Whereas with Scott, I know what I'm getting, it does its job and backs up the band without taking it over.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I think it comes down to what you look for in a drummer. Personally, as great of a drummer Travis is, I prefer Scott's style most of the time but that's 'cause I prefer a more straightforward drumming style. Travis fucking kills it when he does it on songs (like Ransom or GD) but he also tends to get too technical for my tastes a lot of time. I like a good mild to medium Travis Barker ... he definitely has passion and he definitely is an amazing drummer but he also definitely goes overboard a lot. Whereas with Scott, I know what I'm getting, it does its job and backs up the band without taking it over.

The thing is, Travis could easily go in and do what Scott did and do it a million times better. Scott could never do what Travis does. Travis sounds better and keeps the time on old blink better than Scott ever could as well. So I don’t get why the love for Scott. You love that era of blink, not Scott. This is my point, he gets too much credit, all just for being unoriginal and sloppy lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i don't overly praise scott. he was an average, fast, punk drummer. it's not like has was some josh frese or brooks wackerman or even smelly from NOFX.

who doesn't deserve all the praise is travis.  probably the most overrated contemporary drummer in top 40 music. wow, he's so technical? oh wow. the guy has no passion, he's just a well-practiced robot. his drumming bores the piss out of me.

Travis were amazing on TOYPAJ, his drumming on that album were almost like an extra set of guitar riffs. But, and there is a big but (and I can not lie) - Travis post reunion tend to overplay so many of his drum parts, the goodness is still there, but he isn’t as good at doing the balance of the more straight forward stuff and the technical parts, or, maybe he doesn’t have Finn to guide him through that these days and that’s the difference between post and pre reunion. 

Travis on The Knife is motivated as hell though, the best drumming he’s did since Box Car imho

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

The thing is, Travis could easily go in and do what Scott did and do it a million times better. Scott could never do what Travis does. Travis sounds better and keeps the time on old blink better than Scott ever could as well. So I don’t get why the love for Scott. You love that era of blink, not Scott. This is my point, he gets too much credit, all just for being unoriginal and sloppy lol. 

Travis could but he doesn't, it's not his style. I never said Scott was a great drummer or compares anywhere close to Travis (although you've mentioned several times he's sloppy and off time and I've never noticed that once). I just like his style and that style of playing, its apples and oranges but it doesn't mean you can't appreciate both.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Travis could but he doesn't, it's not his style. I never said Scott was a great drummer or compares anywhere close to Travis (although you've mentioned several times he's sloppy and off time and I've never noticed that once). I just like his style and that style of playing, its apples and oranges but it doesn't mean you can't appreciate both.

I think I’m being misunderstood. I have already acknowledged that I appreciate it if you prefer Scott’s “style” compared to Travis. Meaning you prefer the same exact amateur beat over and over and over song after song. That’s fine. He’s the worst at doing what he does. Davey already listed off 3 drummers who do it much better. My whole point is that Scott gets treated around here like he’s some Biblical character who created those type of drum beats... he had nothing to do with the magic of blink. It was all Tom and Mark, then later Travis. Scott was in the right place at the right time. People keep crabbing this fact, but I haven’t heard one piece of evidence to dispute this fact. 

• Crab 3

59 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I think I’m being misunderstood. I have already acknowledged that I appreciate it if you prefer Scott’s “style” compared to Travis. Meaning you prefer the same exact amateur beat over and over and over song after song. That’s fine. He’s the worst at doing what he does. Davey already listed off 3 drummers who do it much better. My whole point is that Scott gets treated around here like he’s some Biblical character who created those type of drum beats... he had nothing to do with the magic of blink. It was all Tom and Mark, then later Travis. Scott was in the right place at the right time. People keep crabbing this fact, but I haven’t heard one piece of evidence to dispute this fact. 

I believe it's you that's misunderstanding me ... you just wrote an entire paragraph addressing points I never made.

8 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Well that’s what you did to begin with in regards to my initial post 

I didn't say anything like that, my friend, I just said I prefer Scott's style of drumming as a personal preference. 

19 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

My whole point is that Scott gets treated around here like he’s some Biblical character who created those type of drum beats

i've never heard that particular sermon on these boards. and i'd certainly never deliver it myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i've never heard that particular sermon on these boards. and i'd certainly never deliver it myself.

I didn’t say anyone claimed he did that. I’m saying he gets treated and remembered as  if he did. I’m sorry, but he doesn’t deserve praise for being a mediocre talent that was too drunk to make it with blink. 

• Crab 1

Obviously there will always be more talented people than others in a band... but that doesnt justify being disrespectful to them. Every time I hear bands where every member tries to do over-the-top things I just end up being annoyed. You have to be a delicate musician as well.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:12 AM, Diddy Faplord said:

crab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's about chemistry @Diddy Faplordnot sure why this needs to be explained..  it's why Dream Theatre sucks. Everyone is like an 11/10 technical skills.  Sometimes more simple drums can bring out the others more.  Both styles work, some like less indulgent like on Dude Ranch time to time

• Like 2

Easyyy @Diddy Faplord EASY! DOWN BOY!

giphy.gif

Nobody is wanting Scott to replace Travis as the drummer of Blink 182. Any sane person on Earth would agree that Travis is much more talented and contributed a lot more to the songs and success of the band. What COULD be cool though, is to see him perform one of the songs he played on back in the day if by some chance Blink got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I have no idea how those performances work, but imagine Mark Tom and Travis starting off with Feeling This, ATST, I Miss You, and then Scott comes out and they play Dammit with Scott, and then they end with The Rock Show with all 5 current or former Blink members playing onstage. Scott being a part of that would be a cool nostalgic moment and acknowledgement of the band's original lineup after all these years.

That doesn't mean he was a great drummer or a Biblical figure haha, but he IS an important figure in the full story of Blink 182 and a one-off performance to show that would be pretty sweet!

On 5/10/2020 at 12:47 AM, wannabe corn dog said:

i guess "low key traumatized" would be a better phrase to use? i certainly wouldn't use "gracious" to describe any of the interviews i've read. his most recent one was an email interview with a blink podcast and he skipped over nearly every question relating to the band. 

for those who believe he's received royalties for all sales of buddha, cheshire, and dude ranch; how do you know? i'd have to imagine he would have been pretty well off in the early 2000s if that were the case. 

I doubt he gets royalties for "Mutt". Why wouldn't he for Dude Ranch though? 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:12 AM, Diddy Faplord said:

It's not like Mark's bassines are crazy either though or Tom's singing is like Frank Sinatra. 

• Like 1