The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

On 7/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, Ry-Bread said:

The problem is that Mark/Travis want to be full-time musicians, that is why they are always stoked to be in the studio, collab, tour, etc. 

Tom only wants to be a musician when it is convenient or he is inspired. (Which I totally get, he has earned that right.) That is why you never catch Tom randomly making music with friends, and a song doesn’t start until a riff or melody pops in his head. 

I don’t see how they ever re-align due to this, but they have both proven they don’t need each other IMO. Multiple times really. 

Just discovered this forum, so haven't signed up yet.

I'd have to agree with this here, that Tom has earned that right, and while it's unfortunate that they'll likely not "re-align", I think they do hold their own. I mean, I'm a bit Tom biased myself, so I haven't heard much post Tom Blink, but I did like the ones I heard (and Mark and Travis's collabs with other artists) and Tom does great on his own too. Ok, will sign up soon. Blink rocks my socks! :D

3 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Do you think Rise would even want them to release this later this year, if by some miracle they're done? Seems like you'd push this to Spring and pray shows are allowed next summer. IIRC Tom already mentioned "after the holidays" so it's gonna be a bit regardless.

No. As you said, toms already said after the holidays. Tom’s never delivered something early and it’s not even in his hands this time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, jlx9 said:

I love what Ilan contributes to the band musically and he was definitely the piece needed to change up AVA’s sound when it got stale after the Love albums released, but does the guy do anything else on the drums other than hard-hitting beats for almost every song? I don’t know shit about drumming but from what I’ve heard he’s not as dynamic as Atom was. I’m honestly a fan of the Ilan-era more than the earlier days of AVA but that’s just something that irked me about his drumming. 

EX: 

Ilan is a sick drummer. Definitely on same playing field as Atom, if not better. Look up his guitar center solo, dudes amazing 

7 hours ago, Sirwesker said:

Ilan seems to be more involved and more than just a drummer. Watching the making of Dreamwalker documentary sort of revealed that Ilan seems to have pushed Tom into writing different sounding songs. 

Yeah he does a lot of the instrumentation on the records now, and I definitely prefer AVA with his input. 

However, Atom is a kick ass drummer. I prefer his style drums wise. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sirwesker said:

Ilan seems to be more involved and more than just a drummer. Watching the making of Dreamwalker documentary sort of revealed that Ilan seems to have pushed Tom into writing different sounding songs. 

For sure, he deserves a ton of credit. Tom said after Love 2 everything was beginning to sound too similar, and that he wanted to change the sound which is why they approached DW the way they did with Ilan. He mentioned on a recent pod how Ilan is real into The Beatles/Led Zepplin, and Aaron Rubin is the same way but loved punk...so Aaron is a great middle man to get them both to meet in the middle. With the addition of Matt Rubano he has definitely surrounded himself with top notch musicians who can push their sound to a new level, I'm really stoked to hear the new record.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

For sure, he deserves a ton of credit. Tom said after Love 2 everything was beginning to sound too similar, and that he wanted to change the sound which is why they approached DW the way they did with Ilan. He mentioned on a recent pod how Ilan is real into The Beatles/Led Zepplin, and Aaron Rubin is the same way but loved punk...so Aaron is a great middle man to get them both to meet in the middle. With the addition of Matt Rubano he has definitely surrounded himself with top notch musicians who can push their sound to a new level, I'm really stoked to hear the new record.

Maybe this is why I don't like modern AVA much. 

5 hours ago, thongrider said:

Maybe this is why I don't like modern AVA much. 

Sometimes it has this “how can i make this more complicated/sophisticated?” vibe to it. Ilan is kind of a music snob and it has that fingerprint. Like pretty simple song but has this complicated programmed beat. Maybe it doesnt have authentic tom vibe or something. I like new AVA but yeah

Watched this this morning. Came across it yesterday, but had other things to watch. Anyway, so this kinda explains a bit why Tom was conceived as a bit crazy. I'm actually very glad he's sober now (I know the meds were for pain, so hopefully that's better now too, but also the drinking, right?). But he's still to this day kinda scatterbrained like, no? It actually has me wondering if he might have like a mental issue. Like, I was chatting about this elsewhere, and I have no authority to diagnose or anything, but apparently I'm not the only one who's wondered. I mean, it's just very subtle things that don't even necessarily mean anything, but could mean something. Idk! Anyone have insight?

Oh, but I also like wonder, if this is a documentary...was this even genuine? I mean, I hate to even think Tom could be disingenuous. But like I still wonder was he really joking about "the second coming of Christ" stuff and it got out of hand, or does he like really believe this. I mean, he has a very convincing display here and my heart goes out to him, but I just ALWAYS question things. I mean, he's got some really big ideas and it's not easy for most to just blindly follow. I really do hope he's ok and actually doing good as he claims to be. All the best, Tom! Still love yaIrk! (He's just so precious in this era I think. I love the Do it for Me Now and Adventure videos :D )

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tombomb said:

Watched this this morning. Came across it yesterday, but had other things to watch. Anyway, so this kinda explains a bit why Tom was conceived as a bit crazy. I'm actually very glad he's sober now (I know the meds were for pain, so hopefully that's better now too, but also the drinking, right?). But he's still to this day kinda scatterbrained like, no? It actually has me wondering if he might have like a mental issue. Like, I was chatting about this elsewhere, and I have no authority to diagnose or anything, but apparently I'm not the only one who's wondered. I mean, it's just very subtle things that don't even necessarily mean anything, but could mean something. Idk! Anyone have insight?

Oh, but I also like wonder, if this is a documentary...was this even genuine? I mean, I hate to even think Tom could be disingenuous. But like I still wonder was he really joking about "the second coming of Christ" stuff and it got out of hand, or does he like really believe this. I mean, he has a very convincing display here and my heart goes out to him, but I just ALWAYS question things. I mean, he's got some really big ideas and it's not easy for most to just blindly follow. I really do hope he's ok and actually doing good as he claims to be. All the best, Tom! Still love yaIrk! (He's just so precious in this era I think. I love the Do it for Me Now and Adventure videos :D )

Yeah, people speculate about this, and, it’s like, who knows. The thing is, you can be “crazy” without being mentally ill. I’ve met people who have “strange beliefs” or obsessions kind of like this, and they seem a bit out there... but at the same time, they’re genuinely fine and not at all disabled so. idk. I think you just can’t tell these things from the outside. At all.

Also things like tics, which I know has been discussed... people just have tics sometimes, and it often doesn’t indicate anything whatsoever, so I personally don’t put much stock into things like that...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah he does a lot of the instrumentation on the records now, and I definitely prefer AVA with his input. 

However, Atom is a kick ass drummer. I prefer his style drums wise. 

Atom definitely is an amazing drummer, no doubt about it 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Whyamidoingthis said:

Yeah, people speculate about this, and, it’s like, who knows. The thing is, you can be “crazy” without being mentally ill. I’ve met people who have “strange beliefs” or obsessions kind of like this, and they seem a bit out there... but at the same time, they’re genuinely fine and not at all disabled so. idk. I think you just can’t tell these things from the outside. At all.

Also things like tics, which I know has been discussed... people just have tics sometimes, and it often doesn’t indicate anything whatsoever, so I personally don’t put much stock into things like that...

Yeah. Thanks! I'll try not to comment on it anymore, unless he confirms something. But before I shut my mouth, heheh, you mentioned tics. Does Tom sometimes twitch his eye, or was that just a fluke at a show? I mean, it was really obvious in that video clip, but I've seen it random a few other times now too. Am I imagining it? Or have others asked about it before? 

Btw, I'm likely one of the "crazy" types, although I do kinda have/take something for depression and anxiety. But I've often wondered about a lesser form of bipolar mania. I'm not that extreme, but had some high moments, even before meds. I mean, I have been to a psychiatrist for all of this and was tested, but I still never checked all of the boxes, nor was I ever so out of control that it was a real concern. Just saying that I don't take these things lightly, and I totally get what you're saying. :)

19 hours ago, Tombomb said:

Yeah. Thanks! I'll try not to comment on it anymore, unless he confirms something. But before I shut my mouth, heheh, you mentioned tics. Does Tom sometimes twitch his eye, or was that just a fluke at a show? I mean, it was really obvious in that video clip, but I've seen it random a few other times now too. Am I imagining it? Or have others asked about it before?

he's mentioned that he does a weird thing with his jaw to pop his ear during shows, but otherwise he's probably just a guy with nervous tics

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ok, so I just finished an article about someone who met with Lui Elsonde (sp?) And the TTSA organization, and their interpretation, as I understand it, it is still uncertain as to what in the Hell Tom and the group are up to. I also watched the intro video to Unidentified and read all of the comments, and like the skeptic in me is getting even stronger. I'm seriously concerned this is just a like government type controlled operation simply to bend the people to believe what they want us to believe...ok, or maybe not the government, but a small group within the government?? I've been following someone/s who are gungho on the stuff Tom's group is doing, but I am beginning to lean more to the side that Tom is just being used. I really just can't like comprehend when all I keep hearing is like empty promises. Like, show us the evidence already! Bear in mind I have not seen the show, but from everything I've gathered about it so far,...and I mean, if so many folks could be misled with other things...you know?

Anyone else follow this stuff? Thoughts?

• Like 1

I honestly have no clue what the hell TTS does. I watched the Joe Rogan podcast, I watched many TTS presentations, interviews with various employees. I learned absolutely nothing which is fitting because I'm convinced that's what they do: nothing! They declassified some videos and stuff, but their goals to develop technology are laughable since it will never happen in a million years.

They did do one thing really well: making $3 Million by fleecing thousands of people with fake stock. It's the only way they will ever make money. Once that dries up pretty soon, they will shut down or ask for more donations. That is the best opportunity for Tom to rejoin blink. 

• Like 1

I still think the band reforms with Tom, but it might be a long time (another 5-10 years even). I might have posted this already, but if Tom continues to mismanage his money and hits rock bottom, I can see the band throwing him a bone. Mark would probably be reluctant, but Travis seems like he would be 100% on board with Tom coming back under the right circumstances. Give him a strict deadline to record via a written agreement , and boot him out again if he fails to live up to it. Pretty low risk, high reward scenario IMO. 

57 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Give him a strict deadline to record via a written agreement , and boot him out again if he fails to live up to it. Pretty low risk, high reward scenario IMO. 

Isn’t that basically a record contract? The same as what he had last time that he totally didn’t give a fuck about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Bot said:

I still think the band reforms with Tom, but it might be a long time (another 5-10 years even). I might have posted this already, but if Tom continues to mismanage his money and hits rock bottom, I can see the band throwing him a bone. Mark would probably be reluctant, but Travis seems like he would be 100% on board with Tom coming back under the right circumstances. Give him a strict deadline to record via a written agreement , and boot him out again if he fails to live up to it. Pretty low risk, high reward scenario IMO. 

Cloning maybe. Maybe they could get a clone to write the song, but do it every year with Feldmann and his pop factory bros.