The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

On 8/16/2020 at 7:35 AM, thongrider said:

I'd say alk 3 are a little bigger than MXPX, but that's true. 

well you have to factor in the eras spanned. MxPx were relatively big (in the scene) 1995–2000ish. alk3 really didn't start to take off until infirmary in 2001. from 2000ish on, MxPx's fan base has dwindled with each new release. so indeed alk3 did eclipse them as they were on the rise whilst MxPx was on the decline.

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

well you have to factor in the eras spanned. MxPx were relatively big (in the scene) 1995–2000ish. alk3 really didn't start to take off until infirmary in 2001. from 2000ish on, MxPx's fan base has dwindled with each new release. so indeed alk3 did eclipse them as they were on the rise whilst MxPx was on the decline.

MxPX were also big among religious folks. 

36 minutes ago, thongrider said:

MxPX were also big among religious folks. 

it's funny, i grew up in a WASP-y soCal suburb. the tooth and nail scene was never very big among the kids. but MxPx was regarded by 90s parents as being "safe" to listen to. the band was probably a gateway drug for a lot of church summer camp kids to harder stuff. but once they heard bad religion it was all over. Mx who?

6 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

it's funny, i grew up in a WASP-y soCal suburb. the tooth and nail scene was never very big among the kids. but MxPx was regarded by 90s parents as being "safe" to listen to. the band was probably a gateway drug for a lot of church summer camp kids to harder stuff. but once they heard bad religion it was all over. Mx who?

Where I’m from in bfe Michigan, the only local music scene we had was Christian “punk” ala MxPx and then later Christian hardcore. So corny in my eyes. I was in a band once (not a Christian band), and a lot of the only shows we could play were at churches with these other bands. I remember drawing “Satan is my homeboy” (Making fun of that whole Jesus is my homeboy fad)on my bass drum head And really pissing a lot of people off lol 

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Oh man I totally forgot they were affiliated with Christian rock somehow, what was the story with that? I honestly don't remember a single Christian song from them on any of the albums I had.

Mike Herrera is a pretty hardcore atheist to boot!

Sorry needed a break.

So, speaking of Tom...

I listened to this interview tonight and woah! I'm impressed and have a whole new impression and respect for Tom now! 

Edit: I realize this is not popular opinion here, or at least, it wasn't back then, but just from things I've experienced and read, it makes sense to me. Maybe I'm crazy too...well, that's not really a secret. :P But I dunno. It really is difficult to explain, because most people just don't think this way or want to think this way.

and the Blink argument, I don't think he was making light of it. He said it was a fun time and served its purpose. 

I know he sounds overly confident, but I believe it's just excitement and passion. I can relate to that! 

Edited by Tombomb
Afterthoughts
  • Like 1

The comment was in reference to those who flippantly self-diagnose, I'm not saying those disorders don't exist. I am stating that they get claimed quite a bit without actual medical diagnosis... being a bit spacey doesn't equate to Attention Deficit Disorder, leaninng towards order does not equate to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and being bummed out occasionally does not equal clinical depression (in fact, most diagnosed sufferers tend to describe it as feeling nothing at all). Society goes through phases of hot topic disorders where, for whatever reason, it's popular to explain away eccentricities with self-diagnosed mental disorders. In the late 80's/90's people pretended to be manic, off-kiltered, or crazy. The late 90's/early naughts was ADD or ADHD. The mid-naughts was OCD and now it's depression/anxiety. Again, not saying they aren't real and don't have real sufferers, just saying it's not as prevalent as the self-diagnosed make it seem.

• Love 1
  • Crab 1

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

The comment was in reference to those who flippantly self-diagnose, I'm not saying those disorders don't exist. I am stating that they get claimed quite a bit without actual medical diagnosis... being a bit spacey doesn't equate to Attention Deficit Disorder, leaninng towards order does not equate to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and being bummed out occasionally does not equal clinical depression (in fact, most diagnosed sufferers tend to describe it as feeling nothing at all). Society goes through phases of hot topic disorders where, for whatever reason, it's popular to explain away eccentricities with self-diagnosed mental disorders. In the late 80's/90's people pretended to be manic, off-kiltered, or crazy. The late 90's/early naughts was ADD or ADHD. The mid-naughts was OCD and now it's depression/anxiety. Again, not saying they aren't real and don't have real sufferers, just saying it's not as prevalent as the self-diagnosed make it seem.

Too long didn't read zzzzzzz

• Crab 1

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

That seems fair. In respect of the sufferers I think you have to be extremely aware of self-diagnosing.. But on the other hand you have to respect if someone claims to suffer from mental illness, because noone can say for sure that they're just making it up (self-diagnosing).