The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

5 hours ago, prankerd14 said:

Well were into October and still no news on angels next album?? He said there would be a few singles before then too lol...

He said he thought one single would be coming in the fall. He’s already said the album won’t be out until sometime in 2021

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NotNow said:

He said he thought one single would be coming in the fall. He’s already said the album won’t be out until sometime in 2021

When did he say the album wont be out till 2021? Last thing i heard in a podcast was album in November and singles in october following it?

Jeez hes so bad lol didnt rebel girl come out nearly 2 years ago now?

1 minute ago, prankerd14 said:

When did he say the album wont be out till 2021? Last thing i heard in a podcast was album in November and singles in october following it?

April 30th 2019

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, prankerd14 said:

In like ten interviews in June lol. I don’t want to go pick one out just go look at any interview he’s done in the last three months. They’re not releasing any albums if you can’t tour around it. Whole industry is in that state

1 minute ago, NotNow said:

In like ten interviews in June lol. I don’t want to go pick one out just go look at any interview he’s done in the last three months. They’re not releasing any albums if you can’t tour around it. Whole industry is in that state

I don’t blame or think bad ofTom or his label for not wanting to release the album without the touring promotion that comes with it but plenty of artists are still releasing albums/music during this time. MGK’s album we’ve all been talking about for the last week and bit just came out. LJG just released one. It’s not impossible to still release music even though you can’t tour it.

9 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

AVA didn't tour for The Dream Walker.

Bummer though that Tom was just getting excited about playing live music again and all this shit happens. I'm glad I got to see AVA last year, even though the sound quality at the venue sucked ass.

Dream Walker was put out by the To The Stars label so it was pretty much just up to Tom what happened with it regarding release/touring. I’d expect it’s Rise Records saying to wait this time around.

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Dream Walker was put out by the To The Stars label so it was pretty much just up to Tom what happened with it regarding release/touring. I’d expect it’s Rise Records saying to wait this time around.

I guess that's probably true, and they know it will take Tom another 8-10 years to come out with another album after this one.

6 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I guess that's probably true, and they know it will take Tom another 8-10 years to come out with another album after this one.

Yeah that’s true. Honestly this album should’ve been finished and put well before COVID/lockdown all really kicked off but Tom be Tom.

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I don’t blame or think bad ofTom or his label for not wanting to release the album without the touring promotion that comes with it but plenty of artists are still releasing albums/music during this time. MGK’s album we’ve all been talking about for the last week and bit just came out. LJG just released one. It’s not impossible to still release music even though you can’t tour it.

They’re releasing music but they’re planned releases that were already planned for the year and had money spent on them already to be released. Stuff that’s already on their books for their fiscal year. Everything else they’re just kind of holding onto if they don’t have to release it.

6 minutes ago, NotNow said:

They’re releasing music but they’re planned releases that were already planned for the year and had money spent on them already to be released. Stuff that’s already on their books for their fiscal year. Everything else they’re just kind of holding onto if they don’t have to release it.

LJG album was a surprise album nobody knew it was getting released so it definitely didn’t have to be released this year. It’s really just Tom’s laziness that held this record back. He said in July last year that the record would be out by jan/feb this year but then he just never got around to recording it.

The label definitely planned on having the album out this year and would’ve been in their fiscal plans. Then the combination of the  album not getting finished and COVID happening they probably just said fuck it let’s wait.

14 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

LJG album was a surprise album nobody knew it was getting released so it definitely didn’t have to be released this year. It’s really just Tom’s laziness that held this record back. He said in July last year that the record would be out by jan/feb this year but then he just never got around to recording it.

The label definitely planned on having the album out this year and would’ve been in their fiscal plans. Then the combination of the  album not getting finished and COVID happening they probably just said fuck it let’s wait.

Yea I’m saying they’re only albums that had very formal plans already prepared. I still think albums that were fiscally planned for the year are being pushed I don’t think the reverse is happening though. Weezers album was to be out in May and got delayed to next May. MGK was supposed to come out in June and just got delayed. 

18 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Yea I’m saying they’re only albums that had very formal plans already prepared. I still think albums that were fiscally planned for the year are being pushed I don’t think the reverse is happening though. Weezers album was to be out in May and got delayed to next May. MGK was supposed to come out in June and just got delayed. 

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what your saying but it sounds like you’re contradicting yourself. If Weezer’s album was meant to be out in may it was obviously fiscally planned for this year yet it’s been delayed. And LJG album wasn’t planned for this year at all. It was recorded during lockdown and just released this week. So albums that were formally planned for this year are being delayed as well as released (Weezer and MGK) and albums that weren’t planned are still being released(LJG).

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what your saying but it sounds like you’re contradicting yourself. If Weezer’s album was meant to be out in may it was obviously fiscally planned for this year yet it’s been delayed. And LJG album wasn’t planned for this year at all. It was recorded during lockdown and just released this week. So albums that were formally planned for this year are being delayed as well as released (Weezer and MGK) and albums that weren’t planned are still being released(LJG).

I guess I’m just saying music being released now is the exception. Labels are picking and choosing very carefully certain things to release. Superstars like Taylor swift that can do whatever they want, already planned releases, some smaller bands here and there. I’m just saying labels are very cautionary and they’re very selective on what they will allow to release at the moment.

I guess it depends on the band. LJG's album was self released; MGK can afford to release an album in 2020 because it's going to sell well no matter what and Weezer got postponed because they were going to tour the album on the big tour with Green Day and FOB, so it'll come out in time for that tour. 

As for Tom, I don't know. AVA is a very niche band, the album isn't even finished, so the label is just waiting until he will be able to tour. If there hadn't been a pandemic going on though, I think they would have pressed him to release it because it's taking him years to write 10/12 songs.

Also LJG's record was mostly solo acoustic, one person recording in one room with one engineer isn't remotely comparable to a full band release with various staff involved, and if self released then she doesn't have to worry about touring or contracts or anything. LJG is more of a free agent than Tom currently, I don't think the releases are comparible.

Tom dragged his heels with the record before COVID, that is 100% on him, but if his intention was to tour it and that's what the label wants too, than the COVID aspect makes sense. 

AVA aren't gonna pull loads of cash in like MGK, they'd need the touring money to make it viable to the label. 

• Like 2

Again I don’t blame Tom or his label  for not releasing the Ava album during COVID. I completely understand why the label haven’t released it during this time. All I’m saying is that there are musicians/bands releasing music during this time regardless of their ability to tour. I was only stating the fact that there are bands/musicians releasing music in the last few months.

Really this whole discussion came down to me not agreeing with this quote:

“They’re not releasing any albums if you can’t tour around it. Whole industry is in that state”

Because the whole industry isn’t in this state. Some bands won’t release stuff but some will. It’s not an industry wide thing but an album to album/musician to musician thing which @NotNowagreed with in his last post.

edit: it was never a “these bands are doing it so angels and airwaves should do it” but a “the music isn’t totally dead during covid” thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Again I don’t blame Tom or his label  for not releasing the Ava album during COVID. I completely understand why the label haven’t released it during this time. All I’m saying is that there are musicians/bands releasing music during this time regardless of their ability to tour. I was only stating the fact that there are bands/musicians releasing music in the last few months.

Really this whole discussion came down to me not agreeing with this quote:

“They’re not releasing any albums if you can’t tour around it. Whole industry is in that state”

Because the whole industry isn’t in this state. Some bands won’t release stuff but some will. It’s not an industry wide thing but an album to album/musician to musician thing which @NotNowagreed with in his last post.

edit: it was never a “these bands are doing it so angels and airwaves should do it” but a “the music isn’t totally dead during covid” thing. 

Nah i get that, I think it's dependent on the artist. Toms still useless though. 

• Like 2