The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

My thing with Untitled is that it gave me something I never asked for as a fan. I didn't need blink to grow up or be taken seriously.

I love the album, it's their creative high water mark, but I never needed blink to enter a dark angsty emo era where they hated each other and then broke up.

It also brought in a lot of douchy fans.

It's complicated for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

My thing with Untitled is that it gave me something I never asked for as a fan. I didn't need blink to grow up or be taken seriously.

I love the album, it's their creative high water mark, but I never needed blink to enter a dark angsty emo era where they hated each other and then broke up.

It's complicated for me.

You bring some very nice points here 

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's complicated for me.

The fans it brought in was complicated, because they would always try to discredit earlier blink, or not associate with it, when that was the real blink to begin with..

I feel similarly, because I love the album to death, but it truly was the beginning of the end of blink, or what killed it, and they could never go back to the fun days (thanks for admitting California is a sham), and in retrospect, the earlier stuff made me happier, and now will always just be a distant memory of time.  Idk if I'd trade it for a couple more fun silly albums, or if it needed to be happy, it's interesting 

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I'd trade Untitled and a break up for 3 more TOYPAJs in the 2000s any day.

You say that, but what if it would have gotten stale and untitled was what made those albums so great in retrospect for the contrast? 

Considering we only got 2 albums like that, I would be inclined to agree though, we deserved at least 4 total..and the breakup never was resolved, not that it had to be perfect, but Tom is so friggin stubborn it seems we will never have that happy ending or anything close to it.

i went from worshipping American Idiot to hating on American Idiot to enjoying the hell out of American Idiot again. Jesus of Suburbia is a masterpiece for a band of Green Day's style and BJA's songwriting ability. i'd take that one song over the entirety of Untitled any day tbh. except maybe I Miss You.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Top 5 blink and Green Day albums: 

5) Warning

4) Dude Ranch

3) American Idiot

2) Dookie

1) Enema of the State

Close:

1) Dookie/Dude Ranch/Enema/TOYPAJ/Insomniac/Warning/Nimrod/Untitled

2) American Idiot/Neighborhoods/Chesire

3) Kerplunk/Buddha

4) 21st Century/Uno Dos Tres/Father All Motherfuckers/California/NINE/Revolution Radio/rest

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I'd trade Untitled and a break up for 3 more TOYPAJs in the 2000s any day.

i think it would've been cool to see blink go in an even grittier / heavier direction but keep it in the same vein as Enema and TOYPAJ. leaning more into the punk side while still keeping it ridiculously poppy. in an alternate universe we probably got that instead of Untitled.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The problem with American Idiot is that it brought on the dress clothes/ties and make up shit. Killed my fan hood on the spot. I saw it as a major selling out move and I haven't looked at that band the same since.

It is a great album though!

Just now, Nasa said:

i think it would've been cool to see blink go in an even grittier / heavier direction but keep it in the same vein as Enema and TOYPAJ. leaning more into the punk side while still keeping it ridiculously poppy. in an alternate universe we probably got that instead of Untitled.

So Cali and Nine? sick!

• Love 1
  • Crab 2

3 minutes ago, Nasa said:

i went from worshipping American Idiot to hating on American Idiot to enjoying the hell out of American Idiot again. Jesus of Suburbia is a masterpiece for a band of Green Day's style and BJA's songwriting ability. i'd take that one song over the entirety of Untitled any day tbh. except maybe I Miss You.

Jesus of Suburbia was great, but how often do you listen to it nowadays?  I'd much rather prefer a handful of the other songs on there, like She's A Rebel, than Jesus of Suburbia in terms of aging.

The anthemic stuff never ages that great because it's so much effort to listen to..

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

The problem with American Idiot is that it brought on the dress clothes/ties and make up shit. Killed my fan hood on the spot. I saw it as a major selling out move and I haven't looked at that band the same since.

It is a great album though!

Another reason I hated on it back in the day. But when you get past that and look at just the music, I’m sorry but not sorry, untitled doesn’t hold a flame to it 

• Crab 1

2 minutes ago, Nasa said:

That would have been perfect ❤️

Like a little Boxcar tossed in there, but not the full on diversion of Untitled.  Songs like Violence though, on like an experimental EP or something? Is that too much to ask?

• Like 1