The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

39 minutes ago, Spee-doh said:

No, grunge didn't kill hair metal ... hair metal killed it. The same thing happened to 2000's pop punk ... it just got over done. Grunge wasn't the cause, it was just the excuse.

Speaking of Holes, this was very deep Speedo.  You gotta love when Speedo gets deep.

Wouldn't they both be contributors to the death of hair metal?  

Also emo pop punk is what killed 2000s pop punk to me, which one could argue, was Tom Delonge's fault, for creating the mega hit I Miss You along with his one eye cover dark hair thing, which everyone obsessed over and sparked a lot of bands to go that route, which was largely to blame for his painkiller addiction, which was due to his bad back problems, which was from carrying blink so much during TOYPAJ, which in turn puts the blame on Mark, which is why he's so depressed and miserable, he killed the one thing held so true to himself - early 2000s pop punk and spikey hair.

• Haha 1

Realistically though, the butterfly effect is insane, Tom wanted to take a break from touring so bad, Mark and Travis didn't want him to, touring non stop lead to his bad back problems (or contributed to it) which lead to his painkiller addiction, which essentially caused his Boxcar and Untitled trip, which lead to the breakup of blink, and while we blame Tom for that, if he would have just gotten his break this may have never happened.  Which also sparked this downward spiral in which Tom's wife could no longer stand him, Jen, and them divorcing, destroying the validity of the song Stay together for the Kids on top of all things.

Hindsight, but I think the moral of the story here is:

Family first ❤️

4 hours ago, Gaslit Jan said:

Tom is just misunderstood.  His "pretentiousness" is just him fucking around or whatever his beef is with going back to blink.  Anyone who takes his "bigger than Jesus" lines seriously doesn't understand his humor or spirit behind it.

Billie Joe is the Bob Dylan songbird of our generation though so chill out.

Bro. No. Tom might’ve been addicted to painkillers when he said that shit but he wasn’t just joking around and being silly. He meant it. 

5 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Bro. No. Tom might’ve been addicted to painkillers when he said that shit but he wasn’t just joking around and being silly. He meant it. 

You actually think he literally thinks AvA's newest release was going to be the biggest thing since Christ?  Even if he did, I love the spirit personally, and still think he's misunderstood by it.  It's funny.

18 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

You actually think he literally thinks AvA's newest release was going to be the biggest thing since Christ?  Even if he did, I love the spirit personally, and still think he's misunderstood by it.  It's funny.

There is some definite exaggeration sure but I don’t doubt for a second that Tom believed what he was doing was gonna change the face of music or whatever else he said.

8 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Nothing at all. Didn’t say there was. Just that it was Tom’s pretentious side coming out then as opposed to some joke we all just didn’t get.

"By the way, when I Say I'm the 'second coming of Christ', just remember, I also said the last Blink record was going to create world peace. I guess jokes don't print well."

32 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

"By the way, when I Say I'm the 'second coming of Christ', just remember, I also said the last Blink record was going to create world peace. I guess jokes don't print well."

DC4-B7019-990-B-40-B0-A4-FB-A58-DC916695

“A picture is worth 1000 words”

I already said the Christ shit was over-exaggerated by Tom so don’t see why you brought that back up. It’s the other shit that was just as bad. Read through this and that’s just one article out of the many.

Spoiler

http://www.blink182forever.com/files/image/news/2005/Kerrang_interview.jpg

i thought this would embed but it didn’t that’s why it’s spoiled.

WDNTW era Tom was super pretentious, he’s chilled out a ton now which is great.

Just dropping by to settle this once and for all:

the untitled record is by far the best blink record and nothing Mark or Tom will ever do will likely ever come close to it again. Mark came extremely close with +44 but that was 15 years ago.

alright, now that the definitive truth has been stated, carry on!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

DC4-B7019-990-B-40-B0-A4-FB-A58-DC916695

“A picture is worth 1000 words”

I already said the Christ shit was over-exaggerated by Tom so don’t see why you brought that back up. It’s the other shit that was just as bad. Read through this and that’s just one article out of the many.

Reveal hidden contents

http://www.blink182forever.com/files/image/news/2005/Kerrang_interview.jpg

i thought this would embed but it didn’t that’s why it’s spoiled.

WDNTW era Tom was super pretentious, he’s chilled out a ton now which is great.

I literally laughed out loud like 5 times, he's clearly fucking with us through half of this. 

"People are going to think God came down and wrote half of this"

"I wouldn't want to be Mark or Travis when this comes out"

"Conceptual depth of Pink Floyd"

"Other bands who think they're the best will second guess themselves"

This shit is hilarious.  Granted some of it is a bit stupid and jaded like "blink was just a stepping stone for me" but the rest seems tongue in cheek. Marketing.

19 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

I literally laughed out loud like 5 times, he's clearly fucking with us through half of this. 

"People are going to think God came down and wrote half of this"

"I wouldn't want to be Mark or Travis when this comes out"

"Conceptual depth of Pink Floyd"

"Other bands who think they're the best will second guess themselves"

This shit is hilarious.  Granted some of it is a bit stupid and jaded like "blink was just a stepping stone for me" but the rest seems tongue in cheek. Marketing.

Some of it obviously tongue in cheek like the god shit but cmon Jan you’d have to be deaf, dumb and blind or such a hardcore Tombot to not see how up himself and pretentious Tom was at that time.

2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Some of it obviously tongue in cheek like the god shit but cmon Jan you’d have to be deaf, dumb and blind or such a hardcore Tombot to not see how up himself and pretentious Tom was at that time.

Overconfidence is like a thing Americans do, look at Kanye West, Lavar Ball, Lil Wayne, Donald Trump (too soon?), it's even genius marketing some would say, because it generally works.  Acting pompous and arrogant gets people talking.  At least it still did in 2006.

11 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

Overconfidence is like a thing Americans do, look at Kanye West, Lavar Ball, Lil Wayne, Donald Trump (too soon?), it's even genius marketing some would say, because it generally works.  Acting pompous and arrogant gets people talking.  At least it still did in 2006.

Donald trump and Kanye west might be two of the most pretentious people I can think of, so if you’re saying Tom’s behaviour was the same as there’s then we’re in agreement. Thankfully Tom chilled unlike the other two.

2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Donald trump and Kanye west might be two of the most pretentious people I can think of, so if you’re saying Tom’s behaviour was the same as there’s then we’re in agreement. Thankfully Tom chilled unlike the other two.

This is a rare flub. It's like seeing a unicorn!

• Wow 1

13 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Dude it's called tongue in cheek, not in entirety, because Kanye and Trump are plenty douchey at the core, but when they say the things they do, it's for marketing purposes or to be fucking silly.

"I'm Donald Trump, everything I say is always right, I'm always right!"

"I am Warhol. I am the No. 1 most impactful artist of our generation. I am Shakespeare in the flesh."

"I am the number one human being in music. That means any person that's living or breathing is number two."

"Any artist that thinks they're number one right now, will have to second guess themselves after they hear AvA"

It's intentionally pompous, If you take that as 100% serious then that's your fault.  Tom was doing the same thing, it gets attention.

I bet AvA makes no noise if he just quietly, humbly, churned it out

See: +44

32 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

Dude it's called tongue in cheek, not in entirety, because Kanye and Trump are plenty douchey at the core, but when they say the things they do, it's for marketing purposes or to be fucking silly.

-snip-

It's intentionally pompous, If you take that as 100% serious then that's your fault.  Tom was doing the same thing, it gets attention.

I bet AvA makes no noise if he just quietly, humbly, churned it out

See: +44

You're just making excuses for negative personality traits. This reminds me of "Schrodinger's Douchebag" type situation where in that whether someone is serious or joking about something potentially offensive is decided upon by the reactions of those they said it around.

In this case what Tom, Trump, Kanye or whoever else you want to bring up has said you consider 'tongue in cheek' because they didn't actually live up to what they were promising so you don't believe they were being serious. But if it had come true, if WDNTW had truly revolutionised rock and roll and AVA was selling out stadiums or Trump became the best president America had ever seen etc if they had actually succeeded they would be sitting there saying "I told you so" because they did believe what they were saying.

That's the last I'm saying of it. I'm bored of it. Happy to agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

You're just making excuses for negative personality traits. This reminds me of "Schrodinger's Douchebag" type situation where in that whether someone is serious or joking about something potentially offensive is decided upon by the reactions of those they said it around.

In this case what Tom, Trump, Kanye or whoever else you want to bring up has said you consider 'tongue in cheek' because they didn't actually live up to what they were promising so you don't believe they were being serious. But if it had come true, if WDNTW had truly revolutionised rock and roll and AVA was selling out stadiums or Trump became the best president America had ever seen etc if they had actually succeeded they would be sitting there saying "I told you so" because they did believe what they were saying.

That's the last I'm saying of it. I'm bored of it. Happy to agree to disagree.

Schrodinger's Douchebag😂, ey - @Mohammad Wall-E- I think you should change your name to this whenever you pull your devil's advocate bullshit x

• Haha 2