The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

8 hours ago, NotNow said:

Sure. 

Up all night. Bored to death. Anxiety. Hallucinations. Pretty much almost any blink or Ava lead single. 

im surprised I’m getting push back on this this is how most music videos have worked until recent years where music videos don’t matter anymore. It’s a marketing tactic because you get the hype around the song release and then people get hyped again for the music video three to four weeks later. The lyric video comes with the song then the band goes and shoots the music video. These days there’s a lot more simultaneous releases especially with the large pop artists

Oh I thought you meant way back. 

The only music videos I ever really liked were blink-182 videos back when they made them stupid on purpose. The last great one was First Date imo.

Too many music videos (including blink videos) are just a band playing in a room and those are the most boring thing ever.

• Like 2

Yeah they either try too hard (pretentious artistic stuff - think The Weekend) or none at all (blink 182 - Bored To Death)

The death of the music video might be the saddest thing honestly, they were iconic for so many decades.  It was a big part of Blink too, all the way from Dammit/ATST to I Miss You/Always.  I don't think they'd be the same without it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

The only music videos I ever really liked were blink-182 videos back when they made them stupid on purpose. The last great one was First Date imo.

Too many music videos (including blink videos) are just a band playing in a room and those are the most boring thing ever.

Exactly. Boring to watch a recording of bands lip syncing. Pretty pointless if you ask me 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Elite Poster No.12109382 said:

Yeah they either try too hard (pretentious artistic stuff - think The Weekend) or none at all (blink 182 - Bored To Death)

The death of the music video might be the saddest thing honestly, they were iconic for so many decades.  It was a big part of Blink too, all the way from Dammit/ATST to I Miss You/Always.  I don't think they'd be the same without it.

Without a doubt, without the videos of WMAA and ATST, blink wouldn’t have reached nearly the peak that they did. But that’s just how the music industry as a whole has changed

• Like 2

I do miss the funny and stupid music videos like Dammit, Josie, What's My Age Again, All the Small Things, Man Overboard and First Date. 

But a couple of the serious videos are great too. Always has a great music video and I Miss You's music video is great too, although I do think that music video is weird as hell. I also think Feeling This has a good video too. The rest of the serious ones are trash though.

I just hate it when blink are in the video as just the band rather than as part of the whole video. It's boring seeing a random dude and a random girl falling for each other when blink are just the band in the background.

That's why I like AVA's music video for Kiss and Tell. Darkside basically is the same video as WYHSB by +44, only difference is that it has kids doing annoying dance moves and that just made the music video awful.

SOOHM could've been way better if the 3 ladies weren't there at all and had blink as them, Now, have blink be the clothed band, whilst the rest of humanity is naked. Would've been way funnier rather than lame like the music video turned out to be.

• Like 2

I get that music videos can't have the budgets that they used to have, but there is no reason they can't have the creativity that they used to have. It's pathetic and borderline pointless how many big name acts waste time making music videos that are completely generic.

Video equipment and software is more available and less expensive than ever before. You can still make creative/funny/worthwhile music videos for your fans even if they don't serve the same type of marketing purpose they did on MTV.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I get that music videos can't have the budgets that they used to have, but there is no reason they can't have the creativity that they used to have. It's pathetic and borderline pointless how many big name acts waste time making music videos that are completely generic.

Video equipment and software is more available and less expensive than ever before. You can still make creative/funny/worthwhile music videos for your fans even if they don't serve the same type of marketing purpose they did on MTV.

Yeah, it's a total cop out.  Some of the best music videos were shot for less than a big budget.  Rock Show is some creative greatness also donating the budget to make a cheap one, that was good on its own.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elite Poster No.12109382 said:

Bored to Death got a music video, it was just delayed. It was that stupid high school student music video. 

Music videos matter, because YouTube is fucking huge and pushes music way more than you think it would, but a lot of big acts do wank videos regardless and it's annoying. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kay said:

Music videos matter, because YouTube is fucking huge and pushes music way more than you think it would, but a lot of big acts do wank videos regardless and it's annoying. 

I don’t agree, they maybe matter for small acts but not for well established artists. No one would cry if they’d only release a lyric video.

“I can’t wait for the music video” - said no one ever since 2006

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

12 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I don’t agree, they maybe matter for small acts but not for well established artists. No one would cry if they’d only release a lyric video.

“I can’t wait for the music video” - said no one ever since 2006

Na..

Theres so many bands that i never knew of that i only found due to a quality music video.

The better the video the more views on youtube, you can probably make more money on youtube than spotify!

Just look at a band like ok go, the music isnt ground breaking but they make cool videos influenced by science and if they didnt have those music videos i wouldnt of got into any of their music.