The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

30 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I don’t agree, they maybe matter for small acts but not for well established artists. No one would cry if they’d only release a lyric video.

“I can’t wait for the music video” - said no one ever since 2006

Go look up literally any pop stars music video from the last year and then say that. Seriously. 

11 minutes ago, Kay said:

Go look up literally any pop stars music video from the last year and then say that. Seriously. 

I don’t know what you mean by this? 

If both a lyric video and a music video is available then of course the video will be more popular. That’s not what I am saying, I’m saying that no one will care if Justin Bieber, Billie Eilish or Ed Sheeran  quit producing music videos and just release lyric videos instead. The same amount of views will be on the lyric video as there are on the music video today.

• Crab 1

3 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I don’t know what mean by this? 

If both a lyric video and a music video is available then of course the video will be more popular. That’s not what I am saying, I’m saying that no one will care if the established bands  quit producing music videos and just release lyric videos. The same amount of views will be on the lyric video as there are on the music video today.

That's not what I was saying, I'm saying music videos are still popular and are still relevant as their huge on YouTube and that's why younger modern stars still use them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kay said:

That's not what I was saying, I'm saying music videos are still popular and are still relevant as their huge on YouTube and that's why younger modern stars still use them. 

And I’m saying they’re not.

No one would care if Justin Bieber, Billie Eilish or Ed Sheeran  quit producing music videos and just release lyric videos instead. The same amount of views will be on the lyric video as there are on the music video today.

• Like 1

Just now, twentytwenty said:

And I’m saying they’re not.

No one would care if Justin Bieber, Billie Eilish or Ed Sheeran  quit producing music videos and just release lyric videos instead. The same amount of views will be on the lyric video as there are on the music video today.

And that theory is based on what, exactly? Lil Nas released a new video last week. Its on 92million views. Are you telling me that isn't relevant and doesn't matter? 

22 minutes ago, Kay said:

And that theory is based on what, exactly? Lil Nas released a new video last week. Its on 92million views. Are you telling me that isn't relevant and doesn't matter? 

On common sense. Yes that is what I’m telling you. 

Do you think those streams would magically disappear if the artists only would release lyric videos instead of music videos? In 2021?

it’s not like the mtv era anymore, no one stays up late waiting for the premier of a new music video if the song is already out. And if the song weren’t already out, the same person who waited for the video would wait for the song anyways.

29 minutes ago, Kay said:

These numbers make me sick. I guess I’m out of touch, but people like Lil Nas X are so irrelevant in my world 

56 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

On common sense. Yes that is what I’m telling you. 

Do you think those streams would magically disappear if the artists only would release lyric videos instead of music videos? In 2021?

it’s not like the mtv era anymore, no one stays up late waiting for the premier of a new music video if the song is already out. And if the song weren’t already out, the same person who waited for the video would wait for the song anyways.

I'm not sure lyric videos would have the same amount of views. I think you're underestimating the fandom of pop artists and the way they CARE about them. We're talking about millions of young people who over obsess about pop artists and with a music video they get to see more of them.
Kpop fans basically live for music videos and for the aesthetics of their idols, we just can't relate to how they feel because we are older and we have a different music background, but music videos are still very relevant. 

They also help these artists build and develop their identity, brands and style,
and if a song has a concept, music videos are still a way to convey the meaning of the song in a visual way.
This is America is 100x enhanced by the video, and the same thing is happening right now as we speak with Lil Nas X. 

I personally don't go out of my way to watch music videos, but I do appreciate a good one when it comes along. 

• Like 6

Music videos are still part of the image, there's just more ways to get the image out other than videos nowadays.

I can't imagine Britney Spears or Blink back in 2000 shipping out lyric videos and becoming as popular as they were.  Imagine Hit Me Baby One More Time and All The Small Things on just lyric videos and not music videos, I bet neither makes it to their degree.

Radio + Music Videos was everything for a long time in terms of popularity.  Now they can use all social media sources, twitter, instagram, facebook, youtube, whatever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elisa said:

I'm not sure lyric videos would have the same amount of views. I think you're underestimating the fandom of pop artists and the way they CARE about them. We're talking about millions of young people who over obsess about pop artists and with a music video they get to see more of them.
Kpop fans basically live for music videos and for the aesthetics of their idols, we just can't relate to how they feel because we are older and we have a different music background, but music videos are still very relevant. 

They also help these artists build and develop their identity, brands and style,
and if a song has a concept, music videos are still a way to convey the meaning of the song in a visual way.
This is America is 100x enhanced by the video, and the same thing is happening right now as we speak with Lil Nas X. 

I personally don't go out of my way to watch music videos, but I do appreciate a good one when it comes along. 

This, completely. We grew up with music videos in our own way so we don't understand how they work now - but they do work now. Video content is more important now than ever and it's kind of irrefutable.

8 hours ago, Johnny Two Bags said:

These numbers make me sick. I guess I’m out of touch, but people like Lil Nas X are so irrelevant in my world 

Yes. You're old. So am I, I don't get it either, but that's what the world is now. We're passed it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kay said:

This, completely. We grew up with music videos in our own way so we don't understand how they work now - but they do work now. Video content is more important now than ever and it's kind of irrefutable.

Agree to disagree. People would just stream the music different ways without it. 

How do we don't understand how they work now? It's nothing more than a promotional tool, always have been, always will be? 

The only difference today than before is that sex sells - even more - than before. 

18 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Agree to disagree. People would just stream the music different ways without it. 

How do we don't understand how they work now? It's nothing more than a promotional tool, always have been, always will be? 

The only difference today than before is that sex sells - even more - than before. 

Because your acting like people aren't watching them. People will stream it on Spotify if they just want to hear it. 92m people watched that YouTube video in a week, it's insane to assume it's purely just to hear it. People are watching music videos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

You can’t really agree to disagree on something that is a measurable fact. I didn’t realize people cared about music videos either, because I don’t watch them. But numbers don’t lie. It’s okay to change your opinion and admit you were wrong when faced with new data you weren’t aware about. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

you and I? Definitely. But I believe artists still use videos and image as tools of their artistry and their fans are invested into that.

Practical examples: Drake danced around his mansion for a music video of a song he made, that became a tik tok trend and it was big around the start of quarantine last year and I'm pretty sure a lot of people watched that video to do his dance on tiktok.

Bad Bunny was the most listened artist of 2020. His latest album came out in late November. His most recent video came out 3 weeks ago and it has 211 million views, but if you look at the lyric video of that same song that was released when the album came out, it only has 170 million views.
YouTube numbers are the last thing I care about when I listen to music, but you can't just say that people don't watch music videos on YouTube because they do and they care about them when the artist is the new trending reggeaton star, Drake, Taylor Swift or a Kpop boy band.  

• Like 1