The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

18 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

It wasn’t in direct relation to the new album but he was talking about Tom’s songwriting for albums in general, and how he takes his time basically.

It really is a good listen, you can probably skip the first ~half to get to BCR/early AVA. Newer AVA towards the end.

Yeah sweet. Will check it out later.

i didn't get a prisoner vibe. he just wants the touring money and accepts the fact the he'll never have any real creative involvement. he's the matt skiba of ava.

what i did find interesting, but not surprising, was the low key revelation that nobody in the band (past and present) are really friends at all. it doesn't sound as if he liked matt watchter. he makes it clear that "tom had a boner for him" but he was really opposed to it and wanted his friend from H2O to join (twice). then, he says after that era things got even weirder so that's why he left. 

i also think it's safe to assume ryan sinn was kicked out either due to jackass behavior on tour or maybe he started some shit with tom about not having a say in anything. i recall him being super pissed because he was told he could run the army of angels fan club, that people paid for, and then absolutely nothing came of it and kids got ripped off.

• Like 1

doesn't sound like you listened to the whole thing. he sounds super happy about where he's at with his business (three coffee shops) and ava is just extra money whenever he wants to be a part of it. but since he has very little involvement, he doesn't have much to say about the band and it probably isn't his place to reveal certain things. 

despite all of this, i thought he said plenty of things involving the band's politics that tom would actually be pissed about. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

doesn't sound like you listened to the whole thing. he sounds super happy about where he's at with his business (three coffee shops) and ava is just extra money whenever he wants to be a part of it. but since he has very little involvement, he doesn't have much to say about the band and it probably isn't his place to reveal certain things. 

despite all of this, i thought he said plenty of things involving the band's politics that tom would actually be pissed about. 

Yeah he stammered a lot in general, not just about AVA. But I agree, if Tom had a gun to his head or he felt like he did, he wouldn’t have said some of the things he said.

16 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Lol, poor David. All he wants to say is that AVA has been trash from the start, but he can't burn the bridge because he likes the touring money. Don't blame him

it's fun to watch you do the same #fanfiction bit you hate so much from blink criticizers

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ye. said:

it's fun to watch you do the same #fanfiction bit you hate so much from blink criticizers

Fan fiction? He literally says he did nothing in the band creatively, that it was mostly dysfunctional, and that Ilan is now writing everything.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Fan fiction? He literally says he did nothing in the band creatively, that it was mostly dysfunctional, and that Ilan is now writing everything.

That's a nice pivot from "Lol, poor David. All he wants to say is that AVA has been trash from the start, but he can't burn the bridge because he likes the touring money. Don't blame him"

4 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

He said he was interviewed recently (I suspect for the McKinnon doc) and they would ask him to go through certain eras and they weren’t particularly pleasant to revisit. Idk, AVA is Tom’s playground and the dudes been through a lot of band members lol. I’m happy for David with the James Coffee Co and life he’s built outside of music.

it's seemed for some time that David really isn't that into being a musician, as he pretty much said himself in this podcast. I imagine if you're just being a sounding board for a somewhat small band that's not making you much, it's gonna feel pretty pointless after a while. And while we don't know anyone personally, Tom doesn't seem like the best friend; he's already all over the place creatively

Just now, ye. said:

That's a nice pivot from "Lol, poor David. All he wants to say is that AVA has been trash from the start, but he can't burn the bridge because he likes the touring money. Don't blame him"

I mean he pretty much says as much. He had to escape the band to make money reliably as the band was dysfunctional. He was Tom's "cheerleader" and did nothing creatively

15 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

It was interesting that Adam (H20) mentioned a really weird awkward vibe when he showed up to “try out” the 2nd time which from what I gather would’ve been right after Love 2 since he mentioned Ilan was there. Also a bit awkward when David mentioned the recent EPs and him not even knowing about them. 

wasn't the Love 2 era when blink reformed and atom/matt quit as a result of likely finding out through the press that their full time jobs were about to become part time ones? 

i know that's purely an assumption but we now have a handful of people aside from mark and travis accusing tom of ghosting and leaving it to his manager to relay any bad news.

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I mean he pretty much says as much. He had to escape the band to make money reliably as the band was dysfunctional. He was Tom's "cheerleader" and did nothing creatively

He also said that he was over using music as a creative outlet and wanted to find something else to do for a career, but I can see you've already made up your mind lol

20 minutes ago, ye. said:

He also said that he was over using music as a creative outlet and wanted to find something else to do for a career, but I can see you've already made up your mind lol

I'm pretty sure he said he was overusing music as a career outlet. In other words, he wasn't making steady money because the band is/was a joke

39 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I have a sad grudge against Tom, so I'm pretty sure he said he was overusing music as a career outlet. In other words, I've decided to skew it as he wasn't making steady money because I think the band is/was a joke and I'll always jump at the chance to remind everyone

fixed that for ya

1 minute ago, ye. said:

I have a gigantic boner for Tom, so I'm pretty sure he said he was overusing music as a career outlet. In other words, I've decided to skew it as he was making life changing music/movies while PROVING UFO's are real because I think the band is revolutionary and I'll always jump at the chance buy all of his shitty merch bundles.

• Love 3

nice try, but I don't think or do any of those things. i just don't see why it's so hard for people to be honest about their conjecture. it comes across as super lame. i've criticized tom many times and said not that far up that he's likely a bad friend and band member, so David found other things to do with his life. i realize none of that fits the kansas narrative, though