The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I like Nine and California. I’m thankful both of them exist. Without them, the last blink release would be over 10 years ago. No one would be in this section right now talking blink

• Like 2

Serious question

Anyone else think its at least questionable how tom says he wanted to write a song against toxic masculinity, but directed a video where the only job of the woman on set is to look hot in her underwear. Also the line "get on your knees, we're gonna play tonight"....

I'm no native english speaker, maybe its meant to be in a satirical way, but at least the music video is a great example how women are are objectified by men...

Am i overanalyzing this?

15 hours ago, Ghent said:

I like Nine and California. I’m thankful both of them exist. Without them, the last blink release would be over 10 years ago. No one would be in this section right now talking blink

That doesn’t sound so bad.

4 hours ago, Neal said:

Serious question

Anyone else think its at least questionable how tom says he wanted to write a song against toxic masculinity, but directed a video where the only job of the woman on set is to look hot in her underwear. Also the line "get on your knees, we're gonna play tonight"....

I'm no native english speaker, maybe its meant to be in a satirical way, but at least the music video is a great example how women are are objectified by men...

Am i overanalyzing this?

Has he said that? 

I imagine that line is satirical considering the chorus, but if that genuinely was his intention the video is a hilarious misstep. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, Njdevils26 said:

Since Matt joined, they’ve set out to make songs that “sound like blink” as opposed to just making songs, and that’s the disconnect with the Matt era, they try too hard to be blink instead of just being it. If that makes sense at all.

Nine doesn't sound like blink at all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kay said:

Has he said that? 

I imagine that line is satirical considering the chorus, but if that genuinely was his intention the video is a hilarious misstep. 

He said it in the Q and A. I mean look at the rebel girl video for Christ’s sake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MSandt said:

Nine doesn't sound like blink at all.

No, but it has moments of +44 (Heaven) and Alkaline Trio/Skiba's solo stuff (Black Rain). The album also was a first in terms of writing off Travis' drum lines and having so many song writers/producers involved. It was a shit mix but it sounded overall better than the California era did IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

someone combined the wolfpack demos to make a longer version and it rules

They should have just stood tall and talked to the songwriters of the song they plagiarized in the verse and recorded it like that for the album. It’s so much better than the mess of a version that actually made it on to dream walker imo

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

They should have just stood tall and talked to the songwriters of the song they plagiarized in the verse and recorded it like that for the album. It’s so much better than the mess of a version that actually made it on to dream walker imo

Yeah it’s a shame because it’s way more cohesive and the demo is miles better than what actually came out, at least melodic wise. Even the second verse idea had potential outside of the repetition, Tom should’ve been developed it more. The prechorus and chorus in there are some of his best hooks. I enjoy TDW but imagine Untitled-esque instrumentation with that chorus. 🤤

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

What song did they plagiarize? I really like this version of Wolfpack.

I hate to delve again into Toms lovelife but it's only just occurred to me that as recently as 2014 Tom was still writing songs about how much he loves his wife (tremors, I this case) 

What the actual fuck happened in the years in between lol. 

I've been listening to Euphoria a lot.  I'm actually the opposite of most on here, I like the verses the most, even though they sound like Rush, I like the little pauses before the final line, and it just kind of flows.  The chorus gets a little too high pitched or something off about it, but decently catchy.   

"I'm alert this time, like fucking Paul Revere" is so great.