The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

4 hours ago, Texas Toast said:

How does your point stand though? You said it's not normal for Tom in general to sing about girls. He has always sang about girls, and never stopped singing about girls. The fact he had other subject matter does not negate the fact he has always sang about girls lol. 

My point stands because he hasn't *only* sang about girls in over 10 fucking years. Hence what I meant by "in general" I clearly know he sang mostly about girls pre blink split, fucking obviously, all I was saying is its weird for him now. 

Do you get hard from starting pointless arguments or something? Like seriously what's your deal? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kay said:

My point stands because he hasn't *only* sang about girls in over 10 fucking years. Hence what I meant by "in general" I clearly know he sang mostly about girls pre blink split, fucking obviously, all I was saying is its weird for him now. 

Do you get hard from starting pointless arguments or something? Like seriously what's your deal? 

Maybe it was pointless but you’re still wrong. It’s not weird for him now, he never fucking stopped singing about girls. 

• Crab 2

Okay, I'll be the guy who comes in and says that a lot of early AVA was epic.

It's a stupid argument for sure, because it's all subjective anyway, and on top of that everyone's personal definition of epic varies, but personally a lot of the stuff on the first two albums qualified as epic for me. Taking the music on it's own, and ignoring all the insane shit Tom was saying back in those days, the music was really great imo. I loved it then and I still do. I'm a sucker for all that delay and synths and effects that they used back then. Moreso than the more blatantly electronic sound they've been leaning towards more recently. The long intros and the war imagery worked for me really well.

With that said, Kiss & Tell is still one of their best songs even if it sounds nothing like what I just described lol

• Like 3

I think it’s just because people equate “epic” to ultra positive god tier. But if you just view it as he was making building progressive music, then yea it was epic. He doesn’t do that and it abruptly stopped after love 2. It’s kind of weird that songwriting style just abruptly stopped like that but it’s kind of clear that was all critter (I’m not sure if Tom actually has the toolset to build those two minute intros with random sounds without him). Also Ilan told him to stop. So it is what it is whether you thought that style was good or not, but it’s pretty clear everything after love part 2 ceased being AVA (I find it hard to argue against this because there’s a clear before and after of what the band sounded like and everything around it) and just solo Tom Delonge since it’s now his only musical endeavor. Ava is somewhat of a brand that has minor value so at least stamp the name on it.

I also want to add that Toms production is super low budget these days. He had a state of the art studio with tons and tons of gear for ten years. Now he works out of a closet studio apartment with like five synths and five guitars. I question whether this impacts the production quality and limits what they can do with the music. I’m not an expert so I have no idea I’ve just been curious about this.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Okay, I'll be the guy who comes in and says that a lot of early AVA was epic.

It's a stupid argument for sure, because it's all subjective anyway, and on top of that everyone's personal definition of epic varies, but personally a lot of the stuff on the first two albums qualified as epic for me. Taking the music on it's own, and ignoring all the insane shit Tom was saying back in those days, the music was really great imo. I loved it then and I still do. I'm a sucker for all that delay and synths and effects that they used back then. Moreso than the more blatantly electronic sound they've been leaning towards more recently. The long intros and the war imagery worked for me really well.

With that said, Kiss & Tell is still one of their best songs even if it sounds nothing like what I just described lol

I can't hate on that. As long as people are realizing their definition of epic is out of whack lol

7 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

damn, The New Regime must not have been the next Rush like he expected.

It's still odd to me Tommy more or less wanted full control of blink, then hands over his band he does have complete control of to this guy... but fuck Mark and Travis, right? Dudes a weirdo. Then he can still only produce an album with 10 songs on it, 3 of which have already been released, 1 of them being released 2 years and 2 months ago. So epic bruh! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kay said:

some people like feeling powerful by stating their opinions as fact. it's lowering the bar for discussion around here lately

13 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

damn, The New Regime must not have been the next Rush like he expected.

Ilan is all hype, nothing of substance besides technical musical talent.

If Tom wants someone to write him some good tunes, there's this donut loving guy named Feldy I'd recommend 🤘

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, ye. said:

some people like feeling powerful by stating their opinions as fact. it's lowering the bar for discussion around here lately

LOL you are fucking ridiculous. It's not my opinion that Tom has always sang about girls. It's a fact. Just check his discography, it's not hard. Find one fucking album from any of his projects that doesn't include songs about girls. I'll be waiting. 

15 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

jesus christ it's the "vintage" semantics argument all over again

You guys are so ridiculous tho. Like Tommy Callahan said in Tommy Boy, “if you want me to take a shit in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will.” Lmfao . It was an easy and simple point being made…nobody in the world outside of TomBot’s bubbles is anybody calling AVA epic. If they were then you’d have a leg to stand on. This isn’t semantics , this is common fucking sense. Like I said, you don’t have to call everything you enjoy epic. Tom didn’t do anything nobody else hasn’t done before a million times better 

20 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

You guys are so ridiculous tho. Like Tommy Callahan said in Tommy Boy, “if you want me to take a shit in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will.” Lmfao . It was an easy and simple point being made…nobody in the world outside of TomBot’s bubbles is anybody calling AVA epic. If they were then you’d have a leg to stand on. This isn’t semantics , this is common fucking sense. Like I said, you don’t have to call everything you enjoy epic. Tom didn’t do anything nobody else hasn’t done before a million times better 

You can't even keep all of your random arguments straight Diddy! haha. I'm not talking about "epic" I'm talking about Kay saying songs about girls are unusual for Tom in general and then clarifying that she meant in the past decade or whatever. There's no doubt that Tom's songs about girls dwindled way down in comparison to his early career, in favor of nonsensical philosophical word jumbles, and now it seems like songs about girls are on an uptick. Why in the world do you care so much to turn that into a multi-page argument! hahah

• Like 1

Just now, Champ182 said:

You can't even keep all of your random arguments straight Diddy! haha. I'm not talking about "epic" I'm talking about Kay saying songs about girls are unusual for Tom in general and then clarifying that she meant in the past decade or whatever. There's no doubt that Tom's songs about girls dwindled way down in comparison to his early career, and now seems to be on an uptick. Why in the world do you care so much to turn that into a multi-page argument! hahah

I am sorry and I don't know it just seemed silly to be weird out about Tom singing about girls...even if he took a small hiatus. He has always been about the girls. I didn't mean to be so stubborn about it or rude to @Kay though so my apologies. I know you know your shit! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

I am sorry and I don't know it just seemed silly to be weird out about Tom singing about girls...even if he took a small hiatus. He has always been about the girls. I didn't mean to be so stubborn about it or rude to @Kay though so my apologies. I know you know your shit! 

Haha you know I like you man, but just think about how often you end up posting apologies once you've chilled out after a goofy ass argument! Just try to take a breath every once and awhile and skip the snippy back and forths in the first place haha we're all just havin fun here anyway

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

If Tom wants someone to write him some good tunes, there's this donut loving guy named Feldy I'd recommend 🤘

Although, I disagree with you about Feldman, I can't help but agree with you about Ilan Rubin. It's like he's somehow called Tom out for his songwriting then started trying to teach Tom how to write songs but completely forgetting Tom is the one that has made millions from writing songs. Before AVA, I had never even heard of Ilan.

In ways, it's good that he helps to push Tom but Mark & Travis always pushed him in blink. It's weird that he seemed to want blink to be his backing band like AVA was only for him to eventually treat AVA like an actual band (more like a duo tbh) instead of a backing band.

Euphoria would've been way better as a blink song than an AVA song, simply because Mark & Travis are also better songwriters than Ilan. They also bring out the best in Tom, unlike Ilan IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Ilan is a sick ass drummer. He really is. I think he's even better than Travis, at least at doing drum solos. But I'm not hip on his guitar or song writing skills.