The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Can someone point me to a single good song that Ilan has written without Tom involved?

Raw musical talent has nothing to do with good songwriting in the rock genre. He hasn't earned the spot of writing music for Tom.

Tom fell for the hype. I'm sure Ilan thinks AVA is lame and is just stringing Tom along when possible for some easy money for him and his brother (who has no business producing for Tom).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Can someone point me to a single good song that Ilan has written without Tom involved?

Raw musical talent has nothing to do with good songwriting in the rock genre. He hasn't earned the spot of writing music for Tom.

Tom fell for the hype. I'm sure Ilan thinks AVA is lame and is just stringing Tom along when possible for some easy money for him and his brother (who has no business producing for Tom).

Illan definitely thinks AVA is lame.  He is faking it every time he writes a song for Tom. 

I dig some of the riffs, but it reminds me of a local band playing at a bar to like 30 people.

• Like 1

AVA is much better with Ilan involved. I think Tom needs people to bounce off and push him and I think that just became fighting with blink and that's why it no longer works. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Illan definitely thinks AVA is lame.  He is faking it every time he writes a song for Tom. 

I dig some of the riffs, but it reminds me of a local band playing at a bar to like 30 people.

Sounds like the 10AM slot at a festival

• Haha 5

Ilan was the first NIN drummer who was able to play live the drum solo on The Perfect Drug (not even Josh Freese was able to pull it off):

I imagine Ilan's training was something similar to the movie Whiplash.. And though I agree that I prefer the sound of Tom's collab with Ilan because the early AVA sound got pretty old after I-Empire, being someone who is considered a talented genius doesn't automatically make your songwriting skills perfect. I don't like that New Regime song at all. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Ilan was the first NIN drummer who was able to play live the drum solo on The Perfect Drug (not even Josh Freese was able to pull it off):

I imagine Ilan's training was something similar to the movie Whiplash..

I just cracked up at the thought of Travis Barker getting pissed off and screaming insults at young Ilan whenever he makes the slightest mistake that barely anyone would notice during one of the lessons (like the teacher does with the drummer in that movie). Wasn't he Ilan's drum teacher for a bit?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Ilan is just a session musician that happens to have gotten a big shot by Tom with being involved (perhaps a little too much) in the songwriting. 

What you say about him thinking AVA and Tom's songwriting in general is lame and stuff is probably true, most people in the heavier rock department is biig musical elitists. 

29 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I imagine Ilan's training was something similar to the movie Whiplash.. And though I agree that I prefer the sound of Tom's collab with Ilan because the early AVA sound got pretty old after I-Empire, being someone who is considered a talented genius doesn't automatically make your songwriting skills perfect. I don't like that New Regime song at all. 

His drum solo at a Guitar Center competition was insane. Dude is almost on a John Bonham level. 

Coincidentally enough, Travis was actually one of his teachers when he was younger. I remember seeing Ilan on a national TV show around the TOYPAJ era. I can't for the life of me remember what the show was, but the premise was something along the lines of guess which person actually knows a celebrity or something like that. And Ilan really did take lessons from Travis, and did a drum solo. I'll try to dig but I can't remember what the fuck that show was. 

3 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I just cracked up at the thought of Travis Barker getting pissed off and screaming insults at young Ilan whenever he makes the slightest mistake that barely anyone would notice during one of the lessons (like the teacher does with the drummer in that movie). Wasn't he Ilan's drum teacher for a bit?

Yes. Funny I was just posting about that at the same time you were. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Ilan is just a session musician that happens to have gotten a big shot by Tom with being involved (perhaps a little too much) in the songwriting. 

What you say about him thinking AVA and Tom's songwriting in general is lame and stuff is probably true, most people in the heavier rock department is biig musical elitists. 

Not really dude. He was in Nine Inch Nails before AVA, and NIN is infinitely larger than AVA. He also was in a band with the dudes from Fenix TX prior to that. He was already well known in the industry before Tom. 

EDIT- YUCK. Apparently he was also drumming for Lostprophets at one point. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

Not really dude. He was in Nine Inch Nails before AVA, and NIN is infinitely larger than AVA. He also was in a band with the dudes from Fenix TX prior to that. He was already well known in the industry before Tom. 

EDIT- YUCK. Apparently he was also drumming for Lostprophets at one point. 

He doesn't have one single writing credit for Nine Inch Nails.. 

1 minute ago, twentytwenty said:

He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an official member of NIN. He is literally in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the youngest person ever in history. Tom is not even in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and certainly never will be (at least with AVA).

*Drops mic*

12 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

Coincidentally enough, Travis was actually one of his teachers when he was younger. I remember seeing Ilan on a national TV show around the TOYPAJ era. I can't for the life of me remember what the show was, but the premise was something along the lines of guess which person actually knows a celebrity or something like that. 

I knew he took lessons from Travis, but I thought it was during the +44 years. This means he was taking these lessons at 13 because he's only 33 now. It's crazy. 

3 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

And how does that even matter? You said he is "just a session musician that happens to have gotten a big shot by Tom." LOL, he already was in a much bigger and more successful band prior to joining up with Tom. He was already in the industry doing his thing, you're acting like the only reason he exists is because of Tom. Tom just happens to be the only reason YOU know of him. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an official member of NIN. He is literally in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the youngest person ever in history. Tom is not even in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and certainly never will be (at least with AVA).

*Drops mic*

That's the equivalent of a bench warmer getting a championship ring. 

2 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I knew he took lessons from Travis, but I thought it was during the +44 years. This means he was taking these lessons at 13 because he's only 33 now. It's crazy. 

I just read an interview and he said he was 10 or 11. His memory could be off a little as well. But either way, about that age, young as hell! 

Here's the link , he doesn't say much about it: 

http://en.blink182forever.com/news/3655/interview-with-ilan-rubin-about-travis-barker-e-the-dream-walker-creative-process/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

*Drops mic*

I won't argue with you, we clearly have different views on this. And you'll pick that mic up again.