The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So what is the actual album art? The astronaut foil idea is cool. But then I see this weird chick with 4 arms that looks dumb. Is that the art?

Yeah, unfortunately it's the woman. The foil was a much better artwork. 

• Like 1

This one is definitely my least favorite of the 4 released so far. All the others grew on my a lot and I enjoyed at least one aspect from first listen but I just can’t get into this one. Like Kay said, it’s an AVA copy and paste job. 

• Like 1

Hmm. They're playing Bristol like a week before my birthday next year. Not that far... But... I really don't wanna give him money, and none of my friends are brain dead enough to like AVA. 

It's a pickle, for sure. 

15 minutes ago, Kay said:

Hmm. They're playing Bristol like a week before my birthday next year. Not that far... But... I really don't wanna give him money, and none of my friends are brain dead enough to like AVA. 

It's a pickle, for sure. 

😂 Are you calling yourself brain dead?

• Love 1

11 hours ago, andyscott182 said:

I assume you just think Free Masons are cool because of Tom? Do you even know anything about them? Were you involved with Free Masonry in any capacity before you became a Tombot? 

1 hour ago, Dylan_ said:

This one is definitely my least favorite of the 4 released so far. All the others grew on my a lot and I enjoyed at least one aspect from first listen but I just can’t get into this one. Like Kay said, it’s an AVA copy and paste job. 

LOL what's funny too is Everything's Magic is one of the most lame songs I've ever heard in my life. He could have at least tried to remake a better song. Sheesh! 

Tom just did an Instagram live and pulled in four or five people to join and ask questions which was really cool. The most interesting answer he gave was talking about his thoughts on psychedelics and he seemed pretty well versed in the science and social philosophies surrounding them, but also said he doesn't do anything more than microdosing occasionally and doesn't use it in his song writing process. 

Also very cool to see how genuine and kind he was with the fan interaction! Good little insty live and reminded me why the personalities of the 182 trio were such a big part of the bands we like to begin with.

Also I don't know why the new song is getting as much hate comparatively as I've found the past 3 releases to be snooze fests versus the most recent release sort of being a "Kiss With A Spell" anomaly in that imo it felt more left turn than predictable. Tom rehashing melodies is no new surprise though and I'll admit it pulls from his older stuff here and there but overall I liked the direction of it and it made me excited to hear more of the album. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

After a couple of listens I gotta say that it's so refreshing to actually get the "real" AVA-sound in a new song again. Really hope more songs are in the same vain. 

Well yea he literally copied an old AVA song. He literally could shit into a microphone and you’d be happy with it lol. What could he possibly do for you to say you don’t like it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Well yea he literally copied an old AVA song. He literally could shit into a microphone and you’d be happy with it lol. What could he possibly do for you to say you don’t like it?

Unlike the lot of you I don't wan't to hear the new regime or NIN stuff, I want the real AVA sound, this is the closest to it in years, why wouldn't I be happy with that? 

About Tom rehashing melodies well yeah, he's done that since forever. Even WDNTW has that same bridge that comes in multiple songs. I don't mind it, a good song is a good song that is a good song, no matter where he got the melodies from.

To answer the question of what he could possibly do for me to say I don't like it; well, he already did that with the majority of the dream walker.

• Like 2

I don’t like empire club, but I definitely don’t understand criticizing Tom for doing a one time Instagram q and a with the album announcement. You gotta promote the album. He’s doing a separate live on empire club on Friday. 

edit: Apparently Tom said he wrote everything’s magic for shrek 2 lol. Now that I think about it, I remember hearing that song all the time on the radio. Must have been their biggest radio hit by far.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NotNow said:

I don’t like empire club, but I definitely don’t understand criticizing Tom for doing a one time Instagram q and a with the album announcement. You gotta promote the album. He’s doing a separate live on empire club on Friday. 

edit: Apparently Tom said he wrote everything’s magic for shrek 2 lol. Now that I think about it, I remember hearing that song all the time on the radio. Must have been their biggest radio hit by far.

The Adventure got play on Top 40 radio around here. Heard it many times over a short period on local pop station over the air.

I never heard Everything's Magic on the radio besides on niche alt stations like KROQ.

Anecdotal, but I'd be pretty surprised if The Adventure wasn't their top radio song.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

The Adventure got play on Top 40 radio around here. Heard it many times over a short period on local pop station over the air.

I never heard Everything's Magic on the radio besides on niche alt stations like KROQ.

Anecdotal, but I'd be pretty surprised if The Adventure wasn't their top radio song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_%26_Airwaves_discography#Singles

The Adventure easily out performs all their other singles according to Wiki from a charts perspective. I have never encountered a different AVA song in the wild tbh. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Unlike the lot of you I don't wan't to hear the new regime or NIN stuff, I want the real AVA sound, this is the closest to it in years, why wouldn't I be happy with that? 

About Tom rehashing melodies well yeah, he's done that since forever. Even WDNTW has that same bridge that comes in multiple songs. I don't mind it, a good song is a good song that is a good song, no matter where he got the melodies from.

To answer the question of what he could possibly do for me to say I don't like it; well, he already did that with the majority of the dream walker.

What’s funny is Everything’s Magic stole its main riff from Anthem Pt2 in the first place 😂 

but I respect that you want a return to their old sound, that’s cool