The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

22 hours ago, Champ182 said:

It just sounds like he desperately needs to hock a loogie

Didn't he say he was having surgery to correct whatever sinus issue he had that made him have to pop his ears when singing?

Maybe that issue was "over-corrected" lol

• Like 1

i don't know what tom's deal is, but the dude has sounded like trash for two decades almost. his voice has always been sneering and nasally -- that's part of the charm, and very much in the pop punk lineage. but somewhere post-EOTS he started sounding carelessly off-key in live gigs. it's well-documented his voice deepened with AVA, which never worked when he would sing blink songs during the reunion years. that and he would break into this weird, grunty register or slur his words carelessly. 

now, with these new tunes, it sounds like he's trying too hard to make vocal takes interesting or quirky. it's just not the way any normal person sings. it's bizarre

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Didn't he say he was having surgery to correct whatever sinus issue he had that made him have to pop his ears when singing?

Maybe that issue was "over-corrected" lol

That twitch was because he's a massive cokehead.

Look, even on his latest Kerrang pic - he's just finished a fat line.. It's what fuels the artistic splendour in his lyrics.

Rumours say he saw off a whole bag before coming up with  with the majesty in All That We Are.....'The ice is really cold' - genius.

tomddd.png

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, boxelder said:

i don't know what tom's deal is, but the dude has sounded like trash for two decades almost. his voice has always been sneering and nasally -- that's part of the charm, and very much in the pop punk lineage. but somewhere post-EOTS he started sounding carelessly off-key in live gigs. it's well-documented his voice deepened with AVA, which never worked when he would sing blink songs during the reunion years. that and he would break into this weird, grunty register or slur his words carelessly. 

now, with these new tunes, it sounds like he's trying too hard to make vocal takes interesting or quirky. it's just not the way any normal person sings. it's bizarre

I honestly think it's all about effort.  There are several recent-(ish) live shows where he decides to try and his voice sounds pretty good. 

He also clearly got into a mindset like with blink of "hey man this is my punk rock past! punk rock is sloppy and reckless, who cares how drunk I get or how I sing and play guitar! it's nursery rhymes on meth!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Drunk said:

You've got to read that from an innocent point of view - like you're the child who's all alone. That's how I've always interpreted that lyric. 

Well...lyrics are down to interpretation, that's a fair view. I would go with that but then the rest of the lyrics suck too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I think Tom has always sounded good on every album. Worse in AVA than he used to in blink, but still good. It’s just live that he sounds like shit to me. Though that started before AVA.

I think you can hear I clear difference between the critter-produced vocals and the non critter-produced vocals. But the voice is the same imo. My guess is that Rubin isn't thorough enough to get the best takes from Tom, but that's only me talking out of my ass of course.

18 hours ago, boxelder said:

Yeah I can't think of a single person whose voice just completely degraded like his. Even on the rare occasion that he is "trying" he still sounds like a completely different person.

Everyone's voices change as they get older of course, but his bizarre changes in voice, appearance, and personality are all key pieces of evidence that he was abducted by aliens around the time of the first breakup, and was replaced with a rapidly deteriorating alien-generated lookalike.

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

I think you can hear I clear difference between the critter-produced vocals and the non critter-produced vocals. But the voice is the same imo. My guess is that Rubin isn't thorough enough to get the best takes from Tom, but that's only me talking out of my ass of course.

WDNTW  is the same as Kiss and Tell or Euphoria, the only difference is the engineer..? Seriously?

27 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

WDNTW  is the same as Kiss and Tell or Euphoria, the only difference is the engineer..? Seriously?

No on WDNTW and somewhat I-empire he still had the Tom Delonge voice imo. I’m thinking more about Love and not the engineer, I’m talking about the producer. But in this case it’s the same ofc, but the role of Rubin as the producer to be able to bring out the best performance out of the talent is not on the same level as Critter, that’s more what I mean

57 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

No on WDNTW and somewhat I-empire he still had the Tom Delonge voice imo. I’m thinking more about Love and not the engineer, I’m talking about the producer. But in this case it’s the same ofc, but the role of Rubin as the producer to be able to bring out the best performance out of the talent is not on the same level as Critter, that’s more what I mean

tom records his vocals by himself at home. i get that you don't like the new era of ava and prefer songs about soaring over the grass but you can't blame other people for tom's voice.

27 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

tom records his vocals by himself at home. i get that you don't like the new era of ava and prefer songs about soaring over the grass but you can't blame other people for tom's voice.

Well then, that only proves that I’m right..

21 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I honestly think it's all about effort.  There are several recent-(ish) live shows where he decides to try and his voice sounds pretty good. 

He also clearly got into a mindset like with blink of "hey man this is my punk rock past! punk rock is sloppy and reckless, who cares how drunk I get or how I sing and play guitar! it's nursery rhymes on meth!"

Sheesh! Seriously though, how many times has he brought up nursery rhymes on meth. Scares me and makes me wonder he has meth on the brain a little too often. 

• Haha 1

Alright, so I only just listened to the newest song, and seriously?  I can't be the only one who notes the strong similarities to Everything's Magic right?  Which is all the more insane when you consider how that song was clearly reworking Anthem Part 2's tune.  Like, that's recycling inception right there.  

Tom was on a roll for me, everything after Rebel Girl has been really enjoyable for me from Angels and Airwaves, until this release that is.  This song does nothing for me, it's an unoriginal blend of AaA sounds I've heard before while offering nothing new or exciting.  Ah well, I'm still loving Euphoria more by the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Alright, so I only just listened to the newest song, and seriously?  I can't be the only one who notes the strong similarities to Everything's Magic right?  Which is all the more insane when you consider how that song was clearly reworking Anthem Part 2's tune.  Like, that's recycling inception right there.  

Tom was on a roll for me, everything after Rebel Girl has been really enjoyable for me from Angels and Airwaves, until this release that is.  This song does nothing for me, it's an unoriginal blend of AaA sounds I've heard before while offering nothing new or exciting.  Ah well, I'm still loving Euphoria more by the day.

It's been noted, that and Dry Your Eyes, Shove, and every other AVA song that has that same melody. Definitely feels like a step backwards. 

I just dislike that AVA seem to be going to that LOVE sound. I was never a fan of those two albums. Nearly all the songs would fit on those albums except maybe Rebel Girl, which sounds more like an I-Empire song to me.

I preferred the electronic direction they were going with the Dream Walker and the Chasing Shadows EP.

40 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I just dislike that AVA seem to be going to that LOVE sound. I was never a fan of those two albums. Nearly all the songs would fit on those albums except maybe Rebel Girl, which sounds more like an I-Empire song to me.

I preferred the electronic direction they were going with the Dream Walker and the Chasing Shadows EP.

Me too. They're embraced a darker element I really enjoy and Euphoria touches on it too which I really like, but if they go back to that cheesy god-awful LOVE sound I am officially switched off. 

• Like 1