The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I hope the sound is better in person on this tour. When I saw them in 2019 the bass was turned up so loud (not just the bass instrument itself, but all low frequency sounds) you could barely make out the other instruments or vocals. It was in the same venue I saw them play at in 2008 and they sounded great that first time. I saw people in the AVA Movement FB group saying it was the same at their shows in different cities. It was mind blowingly bad how awful the sound mix was and apparently it was like that on at least a few different dates, if not all of them.

Though Senses Fail + Bayside is the same night as AVA in my city and I'll probably pick whichever my friends would prefer to go to lol... assuming COVID doesn't get out of control again.

Time Bomb sounds the best by far out of all the new tracks. It's definitely got the classic AVA sound but that song is really good. Obviously I'm judging it off the live clip but at least it's a full clip rather than 15-20 seconds.

I'm liking how Losing My Mind sounds from both of the clips I've heard.

2 hours ago, NotNow said:

Alright here we go here’s timebomb. Great quality too.

and better quality euphoria

Tom sounds fine on euphoria here I take back what I said. I don’t know why the first video was so off.

Honestly from what you said about the Euphoria clip on the other post I expected it to be way worse than it was. He's clumsy on a few notes and you can tell he struggles with the higher notes, but he mostly got it. I genuinely wonder if Tom's actively trying to sing better live, because while he still has a bit of the ol' "strangled cat" moments, he seems more consistent and on pitch than he has been in years. 

7 hours ago, FAPLORD said:

Wow that is crazy. I do like Tremors a lot but that’s about it 

Literally the song I hate the most on that album, I love basically all of it to some degree except for Paralyzed which is just kind of 'there', but 'Tremors' just feels like boring old AVA to me. 

• Like 4

Just listened like it a lot. Best song along with kiss and tell. The intro is pretty weird and doesn’t go with the rest of the song and doesn’t really go anywhere. It makes sense I guess as an intro to the album though. Hopefully the production on the studio version doesn’t suck.

So with losing my mind out tomorrow and having a clip of automatic, there’s only three songs left we haven’t heard anything of. But there’s still demos that were complete songs we haven’t heard anything of yet. Spellbound, No More Guns, and A Fire in a Nameless Town.

1:58 - We hear over a minute of this song. Tom posted this song twice I’d be shocked if it didn’t make the album.

4:00 - Is the slow song. I think this is different from Losing My Mind but you never know I guess.

0:53 - Then there’s this riff which is unaccounted for. Very easily could have been scrapped it’s all the way back from 2018. It was always my favorite demo so I’d be really bummed.

But the point is we’ve now heard substantial amounts of at least eight songs on the album, and possibly demos to account for the whole album. Not much in the way of surprises now.

31 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Good taste. Easily the best song on the album

I think the verses are boring, but I legit love the chorus. Something about the melodies just work really well. 

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

I think the verses are boring, but I legit love the chorus. Something about the melodies just work really well. 

Yeah the verses are not as interesting as the chorus, but I think they fit very well together with the choruses. 

The chorus is so weird and different for a Tom project song, and, the production style actually fit very well with the song.

5 hours ago, NotNow said:

I think it’s even worse now. You just have three people in the back on platforms that can’t move, they just look like musicians Tom hired. Toms the only one that can move around and engage with the audience. It’s a very weird setup in my opinion.

I agree 100%. I can honestly say that I would be disappointed if I got to see them for the first time after all this time with Tom in front and a disengaged backing band two-three meters behind him on a podium

I legitimately couldn't remember what The Disease even sounded like. Just listened to it again. Even though I've listened to the whole album multiple times (not recently though) I barely remember this song. The chorus sounds vaguely familiar but I don't remember any other part of it. So strange haha. It's decent.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

just remembered I bought the physical copy of The Dream Walker that was a blank CD that I was supposed to burn the album onto. LOLLLLLLL

Hahah holy fuck! I completely forgot about that. That’s gotta be close to the biggest fan rip off in Tom history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

just remembered I bought the physical copy of The Dream Walker that was a blank CD that I was supposed to burn the album onto. LOLLLLLLL

Oh man I forgot about that too haha, that is gold.

Sounds like something a band would do as a joke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting they played Euphoria a whole step down, I guess for Tom to hit the notes in the chorus a bit easier. The recorded one is in D but they played it in C last night, never thought I’d witness Drop C tuning in AVA 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tussy said:

Interesting they played Euphoria a whole step down, I guess for Tom to hit the notes in the chorus a bit easier. The recorded one is in D but they played it in C last night, never thought I’d witness Drop C tuning in AVA 😆

How could you tell 

unpopular opinion - tom sounds "good" in these videos. i think the sinus surgery helped him breathe more. i didn't think he'd be able to sing this song at all. the live mix recorded through an iphone or whatever makes it sound way worse than it probably is. 

also, timebomb has a ghost on the dance floor sound to me. i like it.

• Like 1