The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

8 minutes ago, Shit Poster said:

I mean you need some nuance involved. It’s a bit different to collaborate with one outside writer than 10-15. It also matters how it impacts the sound - Feldman’s guitar and drums sounded quite different than previous albums and still stands out as a weakness to me compared to NINE or Neighborhoods. And like Kevin said, people view Blink differently than AvA. It’s like comparing your first love to someone you’ve been on 2 dates with.

Hey you forgot to throw in a personal attack. Please revise and resubmit post.

6 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I mean that's the issue isn't it really?

They're using all these songwriters and writing vastly inferior music to what they did when it was just them.

But I genuinely love Nine.  If that's what they can do with guest writers, and if this is what Angels and Airwaves is with guest writers, then legit, I have zero problem with it.

Having said that, Mark has now been through some shit, I will be disappointed if he doesn't get back to writing some full songs on his own for the album after the next (assuming the nearly finished album they had been working on still comes out)

And did he genuinely discover anything new?  He just kinda fused blink with U2 and Radiohead and declared himself a genius.  Not that there isn't a fair amount of songs in there that I love, but to say he went and discovered new uncharted territories for the music scene, is giving him way way too much credit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tired of coight said:

I could honestly see the Losing My Mind song being a random radio hit.  It's not like usual AvA at all.

The chorus in the new song is probably the most “AVA” they’ve sounded since love pt2..

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

No, just no. He has a band just like anyone else. Just because he treats them as subhumans doesn't mean they aren't in the band with him lol.

This isn’t true anymore, this version of AVA is the most collaborative and functioning they’ve ever been.

The version of AVA your talking about is what happened when Tom decided to go back to blink again..

44 minutes ago, M!ke said:

And did he genuinely discover anything new?  He just kinda fused blink with U2 and Radiohead and declared himself a genius.  Not that there isn't a fair amount of songs in there that I love, but to say he went and discovered new uncharted territories for the music scene, is giving him way way too much credit.

He taught us how to live life like an adventure.

He taught us sometimes your best friend is not your girlfriend.

He told us how to go on a voyage.

He told us the truth that love hurts.

He taught us not to kiss and tell (when it's your close friend's ex wife)

He told us when the shoe fits.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tired of coight said:

He taught us how to live life like an adventure.

He taught us sometimes your best friend is not your girlfriend.

He told us how to go on a voyage.

He told us the truth that love hurts.

He taught us not to kiss and tell (when it's your close friend's ex wife)

He told us when the shoe fits.

Most importantly he taught us that everything is magic and that the ice is really cold

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll say it - 

I also think it's bullshit that AVAs producer is Co--writing. 

I think producers writing with you outside of subtle suggestions is bull, just like I think outside writers is bull. 

Producers are supposed to be outsiders who take your song, record it, and make it sound as best as it can. As soon as they're actually writing it as well, they're no longer objective to the material, and the production suffers. 

I don't like bands hiring outside writers when they're decent writers in their own right who are more than capable. 

In blinks case it's way more annoying because A. The hired writers are writing wank. B. Blink never needed hired writers in the past and C. They have Matt fuuucking Skiba in the band and aren't really using him. 

It sucks on both sides. Toms better than it, and so are blink. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kay said:

I'll say it - 

I also think it's bullshit that AVAs producer is Co--writing. 

I think producers writing with you outside of subtle suggestions is bull, just like I think outside writers is bull. 

Producers are supposed to be outsiders who take your song, record it, and make it sound as best as it can. As soon as they're actually writing it as well, they're no longer objective to the material, and the production suffers. 

I don't like bands hiring outside writers when they're decent writers in their own right who are more than capable. 

In blinks case it's way more annoying because A. The hired writers are writing wank. B. Blink never needed hired writers in the past and C. They have Matt fuuucking Skiba in the band and aren't really using him. 

It sucks on both sides. Toms better than it, and so are blink. 

I can only talk about my own experiences here but when I’m producing a recording session I can make a couple suggestions here and there, but we’re talking more arrangement territory than writing. My guess is that most of the producers that’s “writing” with the artists more often than not is basically just making arrangement suggestions.

I have done all three scenarios, there’s sessions I’ve made arrangement suggestions, there’s sessions I’ve actually co-written big parts of the songs and there’s times where I haven’t touched any of it and just focused on tones and that kind of stuff. 

I do however have experiences where I have gotten writing credits for minor arrangement changes where I as an artist never would have given it because that’s what the artists wanted, and that is why I don’t take writing credits from producers as a big thing because I think that kind of scenario happens more and more these days. It’s also a way for an artist to maybe get a cheaper price up front. 

I’m gonna stop now because I’m rambling and don’t even remember what I was talking about from the beginning. Carry on 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I can only talk about my own experiences here but when I’m producing a recording session I can make a couple suggestions here and there, but we’re talking more arrangement territory than writing. My guess is that most of the producers that’s “writing” with the artists more often than not is basically just making arrangement suggestions.

I have done all three scenarios, there’s sessions I’ve made arrangement suggestions, there’s sessions I’ve actually co-written big parts of the songs and there’s times where I haven’t touched any of it and just focused on tones and that kind of stuff. 

I do however have experiences where I have gotten writing credits for minor arrangement changes where I as an artist never would have given it because that’s what the artists wanted, and that is why I don’t take writing credits from producers as a big thing because I think that kind of scenario happens more and more these days. It’s also a way for an artist to maybe get a cheaper price up front. 

I’m gonna stop now because I’m rambling and don’t even remember what I was talking about from the beginning. Carry on 😂

Yeah but the fact that Aaron himself said he cowrote the new one implies more than arrangement tweaks. 

I take no issue with arrangement tweaks, I've had producers do that to me and most of the time I've agreed and it's improved the outcome of the song, but it's usually such a minor thing that the idea of songwriting credit for it is laughable - and none of them have ever asked for it either. 

1 minute ago, Kay said:

Yeah but the fact that Aaron himself said he cowrote the new one implies more than arrangement tweaks. 

I take no issue with arrangement tweaks, I've had producers do that to me and most of the time I've agreed and it's improved the outcome of the song, but it's usually such a minor thing that the idea of songwriting credit for it is laughable - and none of them have ever asked for it either. 

Yeah Aaron seems really proud of it so he probably had a big role in the writing of the song

51 minutes ago, Shit Poster said:

Someone doesn’t like getting trolled back. All I’m learning is that you can dish it out but can’t take it. Soft.

I take about as much as I dish (that’s how it should be). But in your case it’s 90% you dishing, so I don’t know dude.

Let’s fight

I can't tell you how disappointed I'm going to be if this one (timestamp 51secs) doesn't see the light of day. 

I was genuinely so excited when Tom posted on Insta, but it's that long ago now I don't see how it will be part of the new album. Genuinely think it was the best work from all of these posts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bucko said:

I can't tell you how disappointed I'm going to be if this one (timestamp 51secs) doesn't see the light of day. 

I was genuinely so excited when Tom posted on Insta, but it's that long ago now I don't see how it will be part of the new album. Genuinely think it was the best work from all of these posts. 

Actually think it would have made a mega Blink song.