The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

7 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

Can you give an example?

just listen to it. but if you're not familiar with the format, you won't really get it.

loud sound effects, quick edits, quirky voices for different bits, crossfades between songs and talking, etc. it's a style that grew popular in the 90s (KROQ, 91x, KNAC) and now dominates siriusXM etc etc.

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

just listen to it. but if you're not familiar with the format, you won't really get it.

loud sound effects, quick edits, quirky voices for different bits, crossfades between songs and talking, etc. it's a style that grew popular in the 90s (KROQ, 91x, KNAC) and now dominates siriusXM etc etc.

Ooh, I get it lmao. The country radio is not like that at all

19 hours ago, daveyjones said:

Maybe I just didn't register it on my listen through, but I didn't notice any goofy sound effects or voices in Mark's podcast. 

5 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea in the intro bits

Ah, well it's definitely not a main focus at all if it was only in the intro part, hell I didn't even notice it.  I'd still say his show seems a far cry away from the morning zoo kinda radio shows you were talking about.  Cuz I know what you're talking about, and those shows are obnoxious to say the least.

• Like 1

damn @daveyjones — i never realized that’s why i disliked marks show so much. hit the nail on the head. so annoying. the caffeinated morning-drive format is exhausting, especially when you grew up with it. i was genuinely hoping for longform music interviews and was sorely disappointed to hear mark shouting softball Q&A questions

• Like 2

14 hours ago, boxelder said:

damn @daveyjones — i never realized that’s why i disliked marks show so much. hit the nail on the head. so annoying. the caffeinated morning-drive format is exhausting, especially when you grew up with it. i was genuinely hoping for longform music interviews and was sorely disappointed to hear mark shouting softball Q&A questions

yea that's it. it wasn't too extreme on tom's ep, as @M!kepointed out. but if you've listened to many many more of them, it becomes more evident.

as mark himself says, "it's a radio show, it's not a podcast." so that's the format.

Still listening to Losing My Mind. Still really impressed that Tom is letting more fun into AVA, they sound like something frokn2021. Makes me wanna get up and shake what my mother gave me.

Also - when, if ever, will there be a Lollapalooza pro shot? It seems like that little AVA tour in 2019, Tom has finally cracked how to be a lone frontman. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Still listening to Losing My Mind. Still really impressed that Tom is letting more fun into AVA, they sound like something frokn2021. Makes me wanna get up and shake what my mother gave me.

Also - when, if ever, will there be a Lollapalooza pro shot? It seems like that little AVA tour in 2019, Tom has finally cracked how to be a lone frontman. 

He looks comfortable without a guitar now doesn't he?

But on the other hand I've always like him without a guitar so haha

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

He looks comfortable without a guitar now doesn't he?

But on the other hand I've always like him without a guitar so haha

He really does. I think staying close to the mic is the key - less waltzing around awkwardly. Works the crowd, then when he slots a guitar on it elevates. 

Idk about before ahahah - especially when he played with Weezer hahaha. He is your boy tho, don’t worry - we’re both blinded by our Tom goggles. I never want to take them off 

44 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

He really does. I think staying close to the mic is the key - less waltzing around awkwardly. Works the crowd, then when he slots a guitar on it elevates. 

Idk about before ahahah - especially when he played with Weezer hahaha. He is your boy tho, don’t worry - we’re both blinded by our Tom goggles. I never want to take them off 

There aren't many artists out there that can pull off power poses as good as Tom with or without a guitar though 😁

I really don't get why it's getting such love, tbh. It's not bad, I guess, but it doesn't seem particularly special, the verses are kind of annoying. Idk. 

I vastly prefer Euphoria but I'm clearly alone there lol