The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

6 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

What’s so moronic about what he said about the gear?

Seems dumb a man with over 20+ years of fame being linked to being a guitarist to openly admit to a guitar specific reporter that he thinks computers are magic and are more important than all gear and that he apparently doesn't even play on the record he's promoting or even knows what guitars are used on it. 

Baffling to me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Clips of every song are out now? I still haven’t heard quite a few of them. Don’t know if I want to hear any more than I already have before I get to listen to the full album. Do we know when it’s supposed to be released? Obviously I haven’t been following this very closely lol.

It's out in like 2 weeks, Sept 24th. 

I haven't listened to clips, don't see the point. 

• Like 1

In relation to that stupid New Order-argument heres another one. People in the comments who have an interest in science shoots down Delonges take on something called the double-split experiment. Im way to dumb to care about it but seems like in general he's the type of guy who reads something in an encyclopedia for 4 pages and suddenly thinks he knows everything and makes actual scientists unnesscary. You would think constantly stating something and being called out on it being wrong over time would change how he rolls, but apparently not.  Think before you speak your mind goddamit. eeeurghh

• Like 1

It's terrifying how many people in the comments think he's a genius or musical mastermind.

We're hardcore blink heads and in some cases AVA fans and we are still very aware that he's a fucking wacko, are these people actually nuts? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've criticised blink for doing this in California & Nine and I've given Tom a pass due to me feeling that Ilan's spot in AVA is a different situation compared to Feldman & blink. I can't help but feel Lifeforms shares similar flaws though. Sounds like Tom hasn't even recorded a single guitar part for this album. He might've wrote the guitar parts but I wanna be hearing him actually play it.

Just let Ilan stick to the drums. The brothers are quickly become the main guys in AVA now. Tom's role now is almost like Patrick in Fall Out Boy.

Looks like every single clip is out too and none of them have that skate punk AVA styled song that we heard from like a year ago or that BCR styled song. Tom is mental if he's chosen songs like Euphoria, Spellbound & Restless Souls to be on the album over those two.

That BCR sounding song must've been the BCR song he's recently been talking about because that's the only thing that makes sense for not being on the AVA album, as it sounds way better than anything I've heard so far. I know it was a 20 second clip or something, but there's just no way that the rest of the Lifeforms songs are better except maybe Time Bomb. That's my opinion anyway.

This album is literally gonna be AVA's version of California (not in the sound but the recording process). There will be some awesome songs but there will be loads of shite as well. Time Bomb does sound awesome though. I've loved every clip of it and I love what I've heard from their live performances. But man, this album is gonna annoy me as much as California did.

• Like 1

If they scrapped the skate punk and the BCR song from the album, I'll be extremely pissed off.  
Reading that interview last night though, I think Euphoria is probably the song that sounds like BCR in his head, since he said that it was written trying mix pop punk with a post-hardcore sound. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I've criticised blink for doing this in California & Nine and I've given Tom a pass due to me feeling that Ilan's spot in AVA is a different situation compared to Feldman & blink. I can't help but feel Lifeforms shares similar flaws though. Sounds like Tom hasn't even recorded a single guitar part for this album. He might've wrote the guitar parts but I wanna be hearing him actually play it.

Just let Ilan stick to the drums. The brothers are quickly become the main guys in AVA now. Tom's role now is almost like Patrick in Fall Out Boy.

Looks like every single clip is out too and none of them have that skate punk AVA styled song that we heard from like a year ago or that BCR styled song. Tom is mental if he's chosen songs like Euphoria, Spellbound & Restless Souls to be on the album over those two.

That BCR sounding song must've been the BCR song he's recently been talking about because that's the only thing that makes sense for not being on the AVA album, as it sounds way better than anything I've heard so far. I know it was a 20 second clip or something, but there's just no way that the rest of the Lifeforms songs are better except maybe Time Bomb. That's my opinion anyway.

This album is literally gonna be AVA's version of California (not in the sound but the recording process). There will be some awesome songs but there will be loads of shite as well. Time Bomb does sound awesome though. I've loved every clip of it and I love what I've heard from their live performances. But man, this album is gonna annoy me as much as California did.

I honestly couldn't care less about the supposed punk / BCR style song he mentioned. It's Tom, guaranteed if he thought it sounded like that it probably didn't and sounded like ass. Odds and ends kind of proves he can't really write like that anymore. 

Ilan has been his writing partner for years now so that doesn't particularly upset me, but I do find the comment suspicious. I can understand having someone else play a second rhythm track, people play differently so it could make it more sonically interesting in the mix (I've done this with other guitarists in the past, it's weird but really works) but if it's *only* Ilan than I'm angry. 

That being said, it's not a particularly guitar heavy album and I love a lot of what I've heard. 

Unlike California, this doesn't sound like a forced attempt to "sound" a certain way or appeal to a certain demographic, it seems more like Tom working with other musicians and creating stuff he likes and that I'm okay with. 

Mostly though I just think he's nuts. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kay said:

Seems dumb a man with over 20+ years of fame being linked to being a guitarist to openly admit to a guitar specific reporter that he thinks computers are magic and are more important than all gear and that he apparently doesn't even play on the record he's promoting or even knows what guitars are used on it. 

Baffling to me. 

Yeah I understand, I took it as he meant that they uses different amp sims on different songs so he's not sure what "gear" they're using. That could be because I do the same and couldn't tell you what "amp" I'm using on a certain song if my life depended on it haha. I could have interpreted it wrong though. 

About the playing I took it as you said on a later post that Ilan did his thing on the rhythm track. But with Tom there's no way to know anything because he's talking like a madman half of the time, and the rest of the time he contradicts himself all - the - time lmao.

4 hours ago, Kay said:

It's out in like 2 weeks, Sept 24th. 

I haven't listened to clips, don't see the point. 

Same here, I'm staying clear of all clips, I haven't looked/listened to the live clip of time bomb either nor have I listened to the latest single, I want to have some sort of first time listening experience when the album drops

26 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Yeah I understand, I took it as he meant that they uses different amp sims on different songs so he's not sure what "gear" they're using. That could be because I do the same and couldn't tell you what "amp" I'm using on a certain song if my life depended on it haha. I could have interpreted it wrong though. 

About the playing I took it as you said on a later post that Ilan did his thing on the rhythm track. But with Tom there's no way to know anything because he's talking like a madman half of the time, and the rest of the time he contradicts himself all - the - time lmao.

Same here, I'm staying clear of all clips, I haven't looked/listened to the live clip of time bomb either nor have I listened to the latest single, I want to have some sort of first time listening experience when the album drops

I'd thought you would be of the mindset that a pure source, I.e. A proper gear set up mic'd accordingly, is a better way to get the sound going in. I understand using digital amp sims if you cannot access gear or have a space to do it in, but in a professional studio it seems crazy to me that you would rely on amp sims over the real deal. 

Dont get me wrong, digital amps have come a long way, but they still don't hold a candle to the real deal. 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I honestly couldn't care less about the supposed punk / BCR style song he mentioned. It's Tom, guaranteed if he thought it sounded like that it probably didn't and sounded like ass. Odds and ends kind of proves he can't really write like that anymore. 

if ya check out the part from 0.50 and onwards, that's the track I'm on about but fuck it sounds good. I was really hoping for it to be on the album haha. Like I said I know it's basically a short clip and it's hard to judge from short clips like this but I can't help feel that idea is better than anything I've heard from Lifeforms.

Then another song from 1.33 all the way to 2.59 sounds great too. Sounds like a skate punk version of AVA. It's a crime if those two songs aren't album but if the song from 0.50 and onwards isn't on the album then my guess is that it's the recent BCR song Tom was talking about.

I do agree with your whole post though. Most AVA songs fall flat but they still have so much shit I enjoy. Literally every single song from AVA has moments I like. They've always had cool guitar parts and a lot of it is due to Tom's guitar playing too. If I wanna hear Ilan play guitar then i'd just listen to his solo project, but his solo band ain't for me. Tom overrates the guy and Tom is the better songwriter by far.

Tom should always be playing the riffs as well as the rhythm guitar parts for AVA but unlike blink, AVA has a second guitarist so I'm ok with Ilan playing some rhythm guitar to beef the songs up more. It should probably be David playing the secondary guitar parts though since he's the actual second guitarist in the band. If anything though, I don't really care too much about that part since David has always been more of a touring guitarist for AVA.

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

I'd thought you would be of the mindset that a pure source, I.e. A proper gear set up mic'd accordingly, is a better way to get the sound going in. I understand using digital amp sims if you cannot access gear or have a space to do it in, but in a professional studio it seems crazy to me that you would rely on amp sims over the real deal. 

Dont get me wrong, digital amps have come a long way, but they still don't hold a candle to the real deal. 

This is a bigger discussion that we would never get out of so I politely bow out 😂

-------

About Tom being able or not to write a BCR style song I agree with you, if we're talking riffs, Tom is just as gifted as ever to write a riff that could fit a BCR-style song or record, but I think that his influences has changed to the point where he just wouldn't be able to do a whole song

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

This is a bigger discussion that we would never get out of so I politely bow out 😂

-------

About Tom being able or not to write a BCR style song I agree with you, if we're talking riffs, Tom is just as gifted as ever to write a riff that could fit a BCR-style song or record, but I think that his influences has changed to the point where he just wouldn't be able to do a whole song

This 100%. That clip shows he can still write a good BCR styled riff. He's proven it in blink and AVA countless times. But the verses of that clip sound a bit more typical AVA. Still sounds great though.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't rate either of those clips @NosferatuI can see why stylistically it may appeal to you but nothing about it sounds particularly special.

I also struggle with the Ilan hate, I prefer AVA by miles since he got involved in the songwriting. I think Tom is, or really was, an amazing writer but clearly his disappearing up his own ass act has compromised his own ability to self criticise enough to write decent stuff solo. While I prefer Neighborhoods and DED to things like Cali and Nine, there's no denying that Toms previous stellar songwriting took a steep decline and the old AVA records are a testiment to that as well. 

Tom hasn't been a good writer by himself in years, from what I can hear I think Ilan listens to Toms ideas and wants and goes "cool... But what if we try this with it" and takes it somewhere a little different. It's not great, a little better than just shelf buying them from random producers like matt blink has, but not ideal. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NotNow said:

I’m kind of sick of Tom talking about marks cancer. He talks about it more than Mark does and it’s his fight. And he’s saying things that seemingly aren’t known yet, like the cancer is being eradicated from his body. A few months ago it doesn’t seem like Tom and Mark were still friends and now it’s a talking point for him every interview promoting his new album. Idk it’s starting to rub me the wrong way. You don’t see marks other friends doing this or even Travis.

I've been thinking the same. Wasn't going to say anything to avoid bringing toxicity into Mark's health situation.. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. He's making it about himself, which is truly disappointing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I've been thinking the same. Wasn't going to say anything to avoid bringing toxicity into Mark's health situation.. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. He's making it about himself, which is truly disappointing.

It got on my nerves too. All I want to hear is that chemo is working, but I hate that he's the one telling people that chemo has worked "wonderfully" when Mark himself won't know that until the end of the month. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

if ya check out the part from 0.50 and onwards, that's the track I'm on about but fuck it sounds good. I was really hoping for it to be on the album haha. Like I said I know it's basically a short clip and it's hard to judge from short clips like this but I can't help feel that idea is better than anything I've heard from Lifeforms.

Then another song from 1.33 all the way to 2.59 sounds great too. Sounds like a skate punk version of AVA. It's a crime if those two songs aren't album but if the song from 0.50 and onwards isn't on the album then my guess is that it's the recent BCR song Tom was talking about.

I do agree with your whole post though. Most AVA songs fall flat but they still have so much shit I enjoy. Literally every single song from AVA has moments I like. They've always had cool guitar parts and a lot of it is due to Tom's guitar playing too. If I wanna hear Ilan play guitar then i'd just listen to his solo project, but his solo band ain't for me. Tom overrates the guy and Tom is the better songwriter by far.

Tom should always be playing the riffs as well as the rhythm guitar parts for AVA but unlike blink, AVA has a second guitarist so I'm ok with Ilan playing some rhythm guitar to beef the songs up more. It should probably be David playing the secondary guitar parts though since he's the actual second guitarist in the band. If anything though, I don't really care too much about that part since David has always been more of a touring guitarist for AVA.

The clip at :50 was my favorite demo and I’ve been waiting three years to hear it. I’ve been immensely disappointed about that. But now I think it might be the boxcar racer song...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1