The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Honestly I don't rate either of those clips @NosferatuI can see why stylistically it may appeal to you but nothing about it sounds particularly special.

I also struggle with the Ilan hate, I prefer AVA by miles since he got involved in the songwriting. I think Tom is, or really was, an amazing writer but clearly his disappearing up his own ass act has compromised his own ability to self criticise enough to write decent stuff solo. While I prefer Neighborhoods and DED to things like Cali and Nine, there's no denying that Toms previous stellar songwriting took a steep decline and the old AVA records are a testiment to that as well. 

Tom hasn't been a good writer by himself in years, from what I can hear I think Ilan listens to Toms ideas and wants and goes "cool... But what if we try this with it" and takes it somewhere a little different. It's not great, a little better than just shelf buying them from random producers like matt blink has, but not ideal. 

I definitely agree Tom needed a change up. He does need someone to bring him back down to earth again when it comes to recording music IMO. It's why i rate Dream Walker over the other AVA albums. I just don't want Ilan taking charge of the songs if that makes sense as Tom still has great ideas. On Dream Walker it seemed to be more balanced, but this album seems to be way more Rubin centric.

56 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I definitely agree Tom needed a change up. He does need someone to bring him back down to earth again when it comes to recording music IMO. It's why i rate Dream Walker over the other AVA albums. I just don't want Ilan taking charge of the songs if that makes sense as Tom still has great ideas. On Dream Walker it seemed to be more balanced, but this album seems to be way more Rubin centric.

Tom/AVA needing a change up is all subjective though. They came from what in my opinion where their best album in their careers (as AVA) before doing Dream Walker. 

I certainly didn't think they needed any change up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Honestly, I think there's some good on this record. I'd put Kiss and Tell above most of Dream Walker, Spellbound is honestly a really fun listen, Euphoria is mental, even Losing My Mind which I'm not huge on is kind of wacky. Only duds in my eyes are Rebel Girl and Restless Souls. It's already better than I expected based on the first single releases a few back (none of these are as bad as ATLIL). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Honestly, I think there's some good on this record. I'd put Kiss and Tell above most of Dream Walker, Spellbound is honestly a really fun listen, Euphoria is mental, even Losing My Mind which I'm not huge on is kind of wacky. Only duds in my eyes are Rebel Girl and Restless Souls. It's already better than I expected based on the first single releases a few back (none of these are as bad as ATLIL). 

It just shows how diverse the album is I think. I can't stand Spellbound but I find Rebel Girl catchy asf haha. Euphoria and Restless Souls are just ok songs to me, Kiss & Tell is slightly better than those songs for me but Losing My Mind is quality. I know for sure I'll love Time Bomb and Automatic sounds good from the clip I've heard.

There will basically be songs for everyone on this album I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

Tom/AVA needing a change up is all subjective though. They came from what in my opinion where their best album in their careers (as AVA) before doing Dream Walker. 

I certainly didn't think they needed any change up

Agree that it's all subjective haha. See I enjoyed the first two AVA albums outside of some long intros, repetitive verses & outros but couldn't get into the Love albums haha. Dream Walker was such a pleasant surprise for me. It felt like Tom went back to basics a bit more with that album but was still pushing himself towards a new direction. I was kinda getting bored of the typical AVA sound from before. Then the Chasing Shadows EP I thought was quality.

16 hours ago, Kay said:

just embrace old AVA now too and you'll be a happier person!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

On a new interview Tom is kinda blaming the blink break up on Jen 👀

Source: blink italia on twitter (they posted two videos of this interview) and facebook

Just checked this out. He is definitely throwing Jen under the bus there. I would speculate that the actual "be yourself" conflict was due to his idiotic alien quests though, not raking in millions of easy money with blink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Just checked this out. He is definitely throwing Jen under the bus there. I would speculate that the actual "be yourself" conflict was due to his idiotic alien quests though, not raking in millions of easy money with blink.

Yeah. That "be yourself" was never blink to begin with. 

20 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I'm sure i've read somewhere on Reddit about a deluxe version of this album? Would make sense for releasing so many songs before the album release

Tom has mentioned MAYBE releasing a deluxe version with the movie. But he only has two to three songs currently that didn’t make the album. It’s not a Cali deluxe or love pt 2 situation. I don’t think it’s justification for releasing 7/10 songs on the album before release.

• Like 1