The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

New song is weak.  Not as bad as Rebel Girl, but it's definitely a forgettable one.  Parts of the tune are really reminiscent of Rollercoaster by Bleachers too, but that song is so much better, that I'm gonna go listen to that one as a cleanse from this meh of a song lol.

Tom explains critters death here. Flew out to record all that we are solo while tom was on tour and then died after.

His timeline isn’t right though love part 2 came out november 1, 2011 and he died in January 2012. Album must have been finished recording at least a month prior. Still crazy though.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/tom-delonge-my-life-in-10-songs/

27 minutes ago, Kay said:

Hey this is promising, if you all hate it I might like it lol

Haha this matches your enjoyment of a lot of the post-Rubin AVA stuff so that makes sense.

I just don't really "hear" Tom in a lot of the post-Rubin era stuff. I could be completely wrong but the melodies/progressions/structures seem unnatural for him based on the rest of his career, which makes me think Ilan has a bigger hand in AVA than anybody else ever has.

(Which is totally fine by the way, he's the other fulltime bandmember and Tom isn't very interested in music so it makes sense. I also have never been drawn to AVA in the first place. But Ilan's vibes just don't hit the sweet spot for me.)

10 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Haha this matches your enjoyment of a lot of the post-Rubin AVA stuff so that makes sense.

I just don't really "hear" Tom in a lot of the post-Rubin era stuff. I could be completely wrong but the melodies/progressions/structures seem unnatural for him based on the rest of his career, which makes me think Ilan has a bigger hand in AVA than anybody else ever has.

(Which is totally fine by the way, he's the other fulltime bandmember and Tom isn't very interested in music so it makes sense. I also have never been drawn to AVA in the first place. But Ilan's vibes just don't hit the sweet spot for me.)

The vocal melodies seem like Tom to me, as do the stupid lyrics, but musically most of it doesn't "feel" like him, but because it's Toms weird space rock project and not blink I care a lot less. AVA isn't exactly an epic quality I'm expecting him to hit, if you have zero expectations it ends up being alright like. 

• Like 2